XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Normal Battery Drain?

Tip us?

Grillrd
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Default Normal Battery Drain?

So after 2 hours and 3 minutes...my battery is at 25% ...since starting to write this message it has dropped 3%. The display is taking up 80% of use. Screen brightness is about a centimeter from the far left side. Screen has been on about 90% of the time...however...after only 2 hours and now at 23%...I'm a little concerned. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

ITGuy11
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Change your screen timeout to 30 seconds...
Current Devices
HTC One M8
Nexus 10, Nexus 7 FHD, Nexus 5

Past Devices
Samsung GS4 (jfletvzw)
Nexus 7 2012
HTC DNA
Galaxy Nexus
Droid Bionic
Droid Charge
Droid X
Fascinate
Droid 2
OG Droid (RIP)

Grillrd
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGuy11 View Post
Change your screen timeout to 30 seconds...
I like to have my screen on while at work. It would be easy to just turn it off ...I'm hoping for another workaround. I thought these screens were supposed to pull less power.

Poloasis
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillrd View Post
I like to have my screen on while at work. It would be easy to just turn it off ...I'm hoping for another workaround. I thought these screens were supposed to pull less power.
I does pull less power but having it on all the time while at work will still drain your battery pretty quickly and why want you have this on all the time?
Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate - Samsung Galaxy Tab - Samsung Droid Charge - Motorola Droid Bionic - Galaxy Nexus - Asus Eee Transformer Prime
Google Nexus 7 - Samsung Galaxy S3 - Sony Walkman Z series 1060 - Google Nexus 10 - Samsung Galaxy S4

Grillrd
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloasis View Post
I does pull less power but having it on all the time while at work will still drain your battery pretty quickly and why want you have this on all the time?
It was more of a test to see how long it lasts with the screen on. I am a little concerned though because lets say I'm sitting in an airport or on a plane watching a movie(I travel for business). My old Droid X could get me through that. But I'm thinking that it wouldn't be an option if my battery is dieing after 2 1/2 hours with the screen on.

Coming from the droid x, kernels weren't an option so I don't know much about them. Would an enhanced kernel be able to help with this drain or am I SOL?

ghettomuffin
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I'm having battery issues as well and hoping someone can help. I heard people are getting great battery life with this device, but so far mine is about the same as the thunderbolt was. My charge says its mostly the display taking up the battery life, but I've done all I can to help this. My screen time out is at 15 seconds and my brightness is at about 20%. I am running ADW EX but I wouldn't think that would cause this. Anyone have any other ideas?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

lpsquall
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettomuffin View Post
I'm having battery issues as well and hoping someone can help. I heard people are getting great battery life with this device, but so far mine is about the same as the thunderbolt was. My charge says its mostly the display taking up the battery life, but I've done all I can to help this. My screen time out is at 15 seconds and my brightness is at about 20%. I am running ADW EX but I wouldn't think that would cause this. Anyone have any other ideas?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App
I am on the same boat as you. I thought rooting my phone and freezing apps would help with my battery but it seems to be about the same.

yyhd
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Never worry about battery drain anymore with this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1096167

BOOM.

Grillrd
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhd View Post
Never worry about battery drain anymore with this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1096167

BOOM.
lol...yeah. I had an extended battery for my Droid X...but it didn't triple the size of my phone haha

imnuts
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2938

DONATE TO ME
The screen does use less power, but a significant amount of the power savings comes from displaying black, as black uses no power on the display, where it does for LCD displays. For me, the Display is usually responsible for 65-80% of the power drain, so your usage seems somewhat normal. Custom kernels can help with drain some, but what can be tweaked with a kernel won't help with the display draining the battery.
Setup a Development Environment
Setup and Use the Android SDK
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this