Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,510 Members 55,157 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REQ] Build custom lapdock

Tip us?

theraizen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [REQ] Build custom lapdock

Hi! It's my first post here!

I was wandering if it's possible to build a custom "lapdock" station.

Basically what do i need is:

- screen hdmi capable
- keyboard
- battery
- touchpad
- eventually speakers

Since a lapdock has only this stuff inside.

Here is a scheme i tought about:

The only thing i dunno is how to make the usb hub to give power to the atrix and to the other devices! I mean it's ok for the electricity, but i dunno if it's correct for data transfert.

About the software, i think that debian could handle all this (speakers via usb, keyboard etc etc.. )

Any suggestion?

sorry for my bad english lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lapdock project.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	607339  

sifon187
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Are you thinking a stationary dock? Or a mobile dock? From your schematics I am assuming a stationary dock. Either way it would be a great hackaday project.
Current Devices: AT&T Samsun Galaxy S II "CM7 Nightly" / Motorola Atrix 4g "In Pieces" / HP Touchpad 16gb
Retired: LG Thrill 4g "Horrible Battery Life" /Acer Iconia A500 "Returned " / HTC HD2 "WM 6.5 / Android Dual Boot" (sold) / Samsung Vibrant (sold) / Samsung Focus (sold) / Iphone 3g (my wifes now) [/B]

Add
me on Google+!! sifon187@gmail.com

theraizen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Actually i was thinking to a mobile one :P

The schematics works the same, the only thing I assume would change is the dimension of the single parts!

xredjokerx
Old
Thanks Meter 156
it wont be cheaper than 200 dollars
Currently running: Galaxy Note II

If you don't have drop box, please help me out and use my referral link http://db.tt/XJuRP3T

theraizen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Sure, but you can add custom parts as a more capable battery, better screen, plug-off BT keyboard etc..

mobileweasel
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I have been thinking of doing the same type of thing, but my set-up would be stationary. One thing I did think of for myself would be to have a keyboard with integrated touchpad. In the OP's case, it would be one less piece to deal with and make it much more portable.

xredjokerx
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraizen View Post
Sure, but you can add custom parts as a more capable battery, better screen, plug-off BT keyboard etc..
the more portable you want to make it, the more expensive it will be. and besides, this phone isnt known to run particularly fast on webtop..

lets say you spend 400 dollars... you can pretty much buy a low end laptop that will run way better. the cost to benefit ratio just doesnt seem worth it. not only that, but in the future when new devices come out you might have to scrap this contraption. we don't even know if future devices will have this functionality yet.
Currently running: Galaxy Note II

If you don't have drop box, please help me out and use my referral link http://db.tt/XJuRP3T