Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,276 Members 44,982 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[How-to] R800x Root

Tip us?

Mills00013
Old
(Last edited by Mills00013; 17th October 2011 at 10:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128

DONATE TO ME
Default [How-to] R800x Root

We can no longer unlock your bootloader with codes. Please do not ask me or ash for bootloader unlock codes. We can not help you.

This thread is now here for historical purposes representing times when people were free to do what they wanted with their devices. Fsck yourself with a rake, Verizon.

The bootloader has been unlocked. Let's get our freaking root on.

Disclaimer: Read through these instructions in their entirety. If these don't make sense to you, you do not need to be rooting your phone. Nobody here has the time required to teach you how to use cmd in Windows. We will not baby step you through how to use ClockworkMod Recovery. Root is not a mythical land with fairies and unicorns where nothing ever goes bad. If you don't know how to properly install a driver in Windows, you probably don't need an Android device to begin with, let alone a rooted one.

These instructions are intentionally left vague. Do your research on these terms. Understand what you are doing before you do it.

tldr: if you fsck your phone up, it's on you and only you.

Easy Way (YRMV!)

This is by far the easiest method. You will have to read between the lines here. I will not detail all the steps. Please record your experiences in this thread and let me know how it all goes! We're all still learning. This is basically copied from Bin4ry's CWMR Thread so thanks go to him! The easy steps below assume a lot of basic knowledge steps. Like unlocking the bootloader. If you're unsure of what to do, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
  1. Download the CWM recovery from multiupload
  2. Boot off of that file (DO NOT FLASH): fastboot boot recoveryPLAY.img
  3. Copy this to your memory card and flash it with the booted recovery
  4. Reboot and test root

Second Method: Advanced User Instructions
  1. Unlock your bootloader. Check out Ash's thread: thread
  2. Download Doom's all in one kernel from here
  3. Use fastboot to "hot boot" the kernel: fastboot boot boot.img
  4. Your phone may or may not boot. It doesn't matter. Let it be for a while, then power it off.
  5. Doom's kernel will have rooted your stock system.

If You're On A Mac...

Or maybe just need some general help with some more detailed insturctions than are labeled here, check out the awesome post that Cubsfan3493 made for everyone. He's even got a downloadable PDF with pictures. Go give him some thanks at his post!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mills00013 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

axiomjunglist
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Is the R800x running 2.3.2 or 2.3.3. There's reports that Gingerbreak and alternatives are no longer working in 2.3.3.
Smartphone history:
Palm Treo 650: Verizon
Palm Centro: Sprint
iPhone 3GS (unlocked/jailbroken): AT&T
Sony Xperia Play (R800a rooted/BL unlocked): AT&T
iPhone 4S: AT&T
Samsung Galaxy SIII (rooted): AT&T

Mills00013
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128

DONATE TO ME
It's running 2.3.2 right now. OTA updates say its up to date. I'm trying to figure out if I'm just having a generic issue with the breaks (like memory cards for example) or if Verizon maybe patched the exploit in their 2.3.2 build.

b00sted
Old
Thanks Meter 872

DONATE TO ME
I have tried pretty much everything as well, I really hope some dev's start to pop their noises in here as I am a bit sad about the activity so far

ace518
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I've been trying to root mine as well. The discussion I've been having is in this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1097856

I'll keep an eye on both threads, but I have had no luck so far.

axiomjunglist
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I'm guessing it's something they fixed in the final Verizon build before release. Curious... What's your build #? Mine is 3.0.A.2.184.

Sent from my R800a using XDA App
Smartphone history:

Mozza2k11
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomjunglist View Post
I'm guessing it's something they fixed in the final Verizon build before release. Curious... What's your build #? Mine is 3.0.A.2.184.
Yes i think verizon fixed the exploit gingerbreak uses before releasing the handset in the usa. When i was on build number 3.0.A.2.184 (uk xplay R800i) it rooted in like 30 seconds.

But in the new update 3.0.1.A.0.145 the exploit has been fixed. So all devices around the world have been left unrootable (for now ) the devs will figure away out.

I think the uk version 2.3.3 build 3.0.1.A.0.145 has been rooted (for unlocked bootladers) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1098736 So if your bootloader is unlocked soon it maybe possible. If its locked your stuck waiting with the rest of us for a rooting method on locked devices.

axiomjunglist
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I saw you updated from another post, did you lose root access after the update?

Sent from my R800a using XDA App
Smartphone history:

ace518
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
build number - 3.0.E.2.89

A shame they didn't let us all have unlocked bootloaders.

Mozza2k11
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
I saw you updated from another post, did you lose root access after the update?
Yes i did. But the fixes added in the update are worth loosing root, for the time being . Being unable to root only applies to people with a locked bootloader. But im guessing devs from the arc and play forum are possibly looking for ways to root with a locked bootloader

Tags
typikal82 make a guide