MHL Adapter

Search This thread

geojoking

Jan 14, 2012
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Already tried with a second one. No luck.
LE: Even a third one, still no luck! :(

I tried with a SGS2 this evening and it worked instantly. With the Flyer it doesn't.
I'm thinking 2 possibilities:

1. This particular adapter does not support the Flyer, even though in the description it says it does.
2. More seriously, my Flyer has a HW problem and cannot use the MHL functionality.

So I'm going to test the 1st possibility and order another adapter. Can someone direct me to one that is 100% working with the Flyer? I'd hate to order another one that does not work. Preferably on eBay.

indiziert

Jan 11, 2012
I disagree with your conjecture. Either the adapter accepts MHL and converts to HDMI or it doesn't. There is no half-way or partial conversion. Its a digital signal, there is no in between. So it will generate a 720P HDMI digital signal. If your VGA converter can handle that, then it will work. If you tried to view the Flyer on a HD HDMI TV and it works, it works. I think your problem is more likely the HDMI to VGA conversion. 720P HDMI is not exactly compatible with Analog VGA and even less likely compatible with a converter. Where PCs can change resolution and go to a lower VGA compatible screen resolution to match a VGA projector, the Flyer cannot change screen resolution or size. If your projector expects standard VGA or 480I signals, then the Flyer cannot generate such a signal without a down-converting box. My generic MHL adapter works with all 6 of my HD TVs , 4 different brands and my LCD computer monitor (HDMI) and my companies projector (HDMI). I just tried it with Coolext's latest HC ROM on the Flyer and its plug and play. Hook it up and it works, no setting changes, no hassle.

Thanks, for the detailed explanation.
But like i say before the hdmi to vga is not the problem. Hehe. Tested it on notebook with hdmi output using the cable. But anyhow like i said before it works now for me (on very special circumstance), so probably it is only my case and it could be only the samsung mhl cable, not all the generic ones.

Last edited:

indiziert

Jan 11, 2012
I tried with a SGS2 this evening and it worked instantly. With the Flyer it doesn't.
I'm thinking 2 possibilities:

1. This particular adapter does not support the Flyer, even though in the description it says it does.
2. More seriously, my Flyer has a HW problem and cannot use the MHL functionality.

So I'm going to test the 1st possibility and order another adapter. Can someone direct me to one that is 100% working with the Flyer? I'd hate to order another one that does not work. Preferably on eBay.

Based on my experience, i would recommend the AC M500. (you should see my previous post)
Got it on ebay with the hdmi cables for 17 euro. And i use the samsung mhl compatible adapter before, which doesnt work for my very special circumstance.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e

pradeeprox

Oct 6, 2010
chennai
got this MHL adapter from ebay india for $9.5 USD and it worked flawlessly in my flyer
gspmall
:):)

it definitely needs an external power source thru d side port:confused:

Attachments

• mhl06.jpg
    mhl06.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 125

geojoking

Jan 14, 2012
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
So I ordered another MHL adapter from eBay because the last one just wouldn't work with my Flyer.

This one works but it's not stable. I get glitches and disconnects. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with my Flyer... :|

I think I'll have to order the original one before I'm sure. It's so expensive though :|

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
About the only plus to buying the HTC MHL adapter vs a 3rd party one is that you can use the Flyer power supply to power it. That was my only complaint with the one I use, that I needed to have a microUSB handy to supply power since the proprietary HTC cable won't fit.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

kudosmog

Aug 2, 2010
About the only plus to buying the HTC MHL adapter vs a 3rd party one is that you can use the Flyer power supply to power it. That was my only complaint with the one I use, that I needed to have a microUSB handy to supply power since the proprietary HTC cable won't fit.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

There's also the plus of knowing it's going to work 100%

swiftgs

Sep 18, 2007
I use the AC500 for a while now and it works perfectly. Connect it to my AV receiver and the TV gets a video signal and the audio is coming directly over my speakers.

This MHL adapter don't need a power cable to work (however without cable it drains battery. So most time i still connect the charger.

No failures at the moment. Very happy with it. Bought it for approx 20 dollar including HDMI cable

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-HTC...bel_Adapter&hash=item416471c593#ht_1611wt_929

geojoking

Jan 14, 2012
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
After two eBay MHL adapters that didn't work with the Flyer, I ended up ordering a genuine HTC MHL extmicroUSB adapter. It worked right away.

I am also happy I can use it without necessarily connecting the charger as well.

I do have a question, though. I'm trying to play some movies with subtitles but they don't seem to appear on the TV, just on the Flyer. Any suggestions?

geojoking

Jan 14, 2012
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
After two eBay MHL adapters that didn't work with the Flyer, I ended up ordering a genuine HTC MHL extmicroUSB adapter. It worked right away.

I am also happy I can use it without necessarily connecting the charger as well.

I do have a question, though. I'm trying to play some movies with subtitles but they don't seem to appear on the TV, just on the Flyer. Any suggestions?

No one?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you step back and try it direct to an HDMI TV first?
    Did you try the Strock HC ROM?
    That's the problem, i have not hdmi tv. But somehow the monitor receive some signal as but it's blank screen.

Does the mhl connector work like plug and play? Or do i need to set it some where?

I had a similar problem. Apparently, some MHL adapters (or it may be the device, i dunno) require you to have some power running to the device before the output will work. Try running your power cable into the adapter and see if it starts working.
    @indiziert ... i've always understood you need to have the htc power supply powering any MHL device otherwise it won't work due to lack of power funnily enough. i guess it's a safeguard to stop the tablet/phone running out of juice half-way through a show/whatever since it's clearly a drain. i've a generic mhl device (amazon £10) which simply doesnt work until the power cord is attached. i've used both htc & generic usb power sources successfully. hope that helps.
    Would you mind sharing where you did you got it and the model?
    thanks!

monoprice.com
    Product ID: 8805
    Micro USB to HDMI® MHL Adapter - Black
    It was on sale for $7 when I bought it. Now its $10.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=mhl&x=0&y=0
    I disagree with your conjecture. Either the adapter accepts MHL and converts to HDMI or it doesn't. There is no half-way or partial conversion. Its a digital signal, there is no in between. So it will generate a 720P HDMI digital signal. If your VGA converter can handle that, then it will work. If you tried to view the Flyer on a HD HDMI TV and it works, it works. I think your problem is more likely the HDMI to VGA conversion. 720P HDMI is not exactly compatible with Analog VGA and even less likely compatible with a converter. Where PCs can change resolution and go to a lower VGA compatible screen resolution to match a VGA projector, the Flyer cannot change screen resolution or size. If your projector expects standard VGA or 480I signals, then the Flyer cannot generate such a signal without a down-converting box. My generic MHL adapter works with all 6 of my HD TVs , 4 different brands and my LCD computer monitor (HDMI) and my companies projector (HDMI). I just tried it with Coolext's latest HC ROM on the Flyer and its plug and play. Hook it up and it works, no setting changes, no hassle.