Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,924 Members 45,184 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Android Fragmentation] Evo3d vs. Tegra 2

Tip us?

hdad2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default [Android Fragmentation] Evo3d vs. Tegra 2

I'm sure the Evo 3d will be every bit as capable as the Tegra 2 devices. But nvidia has the developers courted in a big way. I'm not a huge gamer, but I do enjoy the 10 or so on my Evo 4g. I'd have to say games on the Evo 4g are underwhelming. So I'm excited about the 3d having the chops for some serious games. But now I'm afraid that the qualcomm processor means it simply won't get the cool games with so many developers committed to Tegra 2. And some of these Tegra 2 games look pretty sweet.

With the rumor of a Tegra 2 device on Sprint, I question if it would be worth waiting for. What do y'all thing? Will qualcomm get the gaming love from developers? Will these cool Tegra games be ported to other capable dual core devices?

Fragmentation...

daneurysm
Old
Thanks Meter 317
I was just thinking about this earlier. WTF is nvidia thinking?

THAT is *actual* fragmentation that everyone is talking about. That's not a difference of a simple version number that can be upgraded....things for download in the market that WILL NOT WORK on 90% of all phones? That's terrible. That's selfish. That will. not. help.

Even if they own 90% of the market its still wrong. LEss obvious, but wrong just the same. I hope nvidia fails and goes out of business for that maneuver. There is nothing keeping the game from running on non tegraČ GPU's....sure, it probably won't run great....that's fine....but to have it look for a vendorID string and say 'sorry' just cuz you bought the wrong brand? That's insulting. Go ahead, tear the android market in 2 pieces.

...I think they'll fail on that front. What scumbags. Take something that is a legitmate but fringe concern (fragmentation) and turn it into a legitmate and very very real (market leading?) issue.

I'm not a gamer, but, it will suck that there are games I can't play--at any performance level--cuz I'm not wearing the right brand sneakers...or whatever.

fnck nvidia. That's all marketing and branding, lets keep it a strictly performance based game with standards as the rules...

sprinttouch666
Old
Thanks Meter 37
chainfire3d is an app that is currently allowing tegra zone on most 1ghz devices. I'm not worried about the Evo 3D getting games because we can run anything the tegra 2 devices can AND there are 3D games coming very soon (3DS ports).
The Following User Says Thank You to sprinttouch666 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jessejames111981
Old
Thanks Meter 81
I feel this tatic of terga exclusive games will either fail by the end of the year or most high end phones on the next generation will have a terga processor including whatever HTCs next line will be. Personally I'm skeptical that this will take off. They do seem to have a developer following and if I was more of a gamer I couldn't see buying a non terga phone. SO maybe I'm wrong.

hdad2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
@daneurysm

Exactly! Forget Froyo vs. GB. This is the fragmentation that really sucks for consumers.

@sprinttouch666

chainfire3d looks pretty sweet. hadn't seen that before. I won't even bother loading that on my Evo cause I'm sure it'll choke with a beefy game. But it looks like we'll have to be quick to get root and S-off for the 3d to see what this app can do for it. But 3ds ports may be quite a job since they'd have to code out the DS part. Not sure how many game devs would bother for 2 or 3 3d capable phones in the whole market.

dimebagdan65
Old
Thanks Meter 614

DONATE TO ME
Check your specs fellas, qualcomm's processors blow the Tegra 2 out of the water... Tegra has dual 1ghz synced cores, Qualcomm has dual 1.2ghz asynchronous cores. Qualcomm's chips also feature the Adreno GPU which is faster and more efficient than the Tegra 2's minimalist GPU. Do some Googling to confirm then rest assured, the EVO 3D IS the droid you're looking for *waves hand like Obi Wan*
Razor 32gb WiFi Stock KitKat w/Xposed and Franco Kernel
Hammerhead 32gb same
Gmail/Hangout dime@dimedroidhq.com
Google+Page and Profile
YouTube channel

-You can lead a fool to knowledge but you can't make 'em think
-Be a sponge, not a stain...
The Following User Says Thank You to dimebagdan65 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eman3316@optonline.net
Old
Thanks Meter 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimebagdan65 View Post
Check your specs fellas, qualcomm's processors blow the Tegra 2 out of the water... Tegra has dual 1ghz synced cores, Qualcomm has dual 1.2ghz asynchronous cores. Qualcomm's chips also feature the Adreno GPU which is faster and more efficient than the Tegra 2's minimalist GPU. Do some Googling to confirm then rest assured, the EVO 3D IS the droid you're looking for *waves hand like Obi Wan*
So the EVO 3d's chip outperforms these Tegra chips? I thought they were only releasing it for the Tegra chips because they might have been more powerful. Good to know if this isn't the case.

Now what is in the GS2 as I saw a benchmark video and it blew the Sensation out of the water? I know those benchmarks aren't everyhing but will the SG2 be that much more powerful then the Evo 3d?

hdad2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
I think tegra2 is possibly the slowest of the dual core bunch. BUT when games are coded specifically for that chip, will it matter that qualcomm's chip is better? What good is all that power if all the high quality games only run on tegra?

And you can't blame devs for coding to the most popular chip out for android. That chip is in phones, tabs, and more

peachpuff
Old
Thanks Meter 298
Don't forget to blame the developers too, nvidia drives a dump truck full of money to their front porch and says "make this game work only on tegra2 devices".

fmedina2
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimebagdan65 View Post
The EVO 3D isn't a droid.