Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,836 Members 42,076 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New to android.

Tip us?

apex84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Default New to android.

This is (or will be come June) my first experience with an android set. Now I've read that the codec support in Sensation is quite poor but I'm wondering if that support could be extended to include e.g. .mkv playback now that Sensation will (hopefully) be unlocked.

nirvana2506
Old
Thanks Meter 4
first: welcome to the android world
second: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1097503
The Following User Says Thank You to nirvana2506 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

apex84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Thanks! So the codec support depends on the media player like in PC OSs.

I'm also wondering if there's any possible "fix" for the quality of the photos taken with Sensation's camera. The photos I've seen aren't too bad but someone mentioned too high level of compression of the file which creates artifacts. Are there apps for the camera that will lower the compression level? The ones I've looked at on Android Market don't mention anything about compression. Or maybe it's a hardware limitation.

Elchemist
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Welcome to android as well.

To be honest I am pretty new myself. The sensation when purchased, will be my first android smartphone. Had an Archos tablet for a few weeks before lending it to my sister 6 months ago lol...

Regarding the camera, I am not certain if we are talking about the same thing but they do seem similar. In the engadget review, they mentioned 'artifacts' where isolated areas of a picture were randomly soften or blurred. This is most likely due to software/settings that are processing the raw image before saving as pictures/files. With the recent HTC bootloader unlocking announcement, we should be able to see custom ROMs or even just single solution, fixes, tweaks, updates or whatever you want to call them to address issues like this. Or of course HTC can also fix the issue themselves.

Here is a link to the review if you need it

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/27/h...sation-review/

if you are looking for the camera portion scroll down until you see the picture of the daisy? (sorry know very little about flowers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex84 View Post
Thanks! So the codec support depends on the media player like in PC OSs.

I'm also wondering if there's any possible "fix" for the quality of the photos taken with Sensation's camera. The photos I've seen aren't too bad but someone mentioned too high level of compression of the file which creates artifacts. Are there apps for the camera that will lower the compression level? The ones I've looked at on Android Market don't mention anything about compression. Or maybe it's a hardware limitation.