Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 52,097 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CWM: A thread of its own

Tip us?

ShotgunSam
Old
(Last edited by ShotgunSam; 1st June 2011 at 06:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default CWM: A thread of its own

OK, it goes without saying that to do rooting and flashing you need to have at least a basic understanding of the English language, a decent IQ and the ability to follow basic instructions.

However, with the CWM mod that's out there for this phone, there are dangers in trying to use for anything other than flashing. IMO, the problem is that those discussions are getting buried in long threads that were originally meant for other Subjects. I feel that CWM needs to have a thread of its on to benefit EVERYONE, especially the newbies. So I am starting it off with this simple instruction:

DO NOT TRY TO USE A ROM MANAGER AT THIS TIME! THE DEVS WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN YOU CAN USE IT

ALSO; DO NOT USE CWM TO RESTORE AT THIS TIME YOU WILL BE BRICKED

#2 IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO CWM FROM START-UP TO FLASH A ROM - HOLD DOWN THE VOL UP BUTTON + HOME BUTTON + POWER BUTTON, WHEN YOU SEE THE SAMSUNG LOGO, RELEASE THE POWER BUTTON.

TO END THE CONSTANT QUESTIONS ABOUT THE "GO BACK" MENU OPTION: SCROLL COMPLETELY THROUGH ALL MENU OPTIONS TWICE, THE GO BACK OPEN WILL THEN APPEAR

I ask the devs to post info. here even if it has been posted in one of the threads.

Forum Management FTW!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShotgunSam For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ShotgunSam
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
If one of the devs could throw up the file to flash CWM and the instructions, that might be helfpful as well.

boostedjti
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Restoring currently has a bug that bootloops a device.

It should be noted that currently there is no go back option either. To enable this scroll through the menu 3x and select an option, go back will now appear.

kejar31
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2335

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedjti View Post

It should be noted that currently there is no go back option either. To enable this scroll through the menu 3x and select an option, go back will now appear.
So nandroids are not working, Sorry I dont have my Charge yet so I am only trying to get cleaification?

hoppermi
Old
Thanks Meter 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by kejar31 View Post
So nandroids are not working, Sorry I dont have my Charge yet so I am only trying to get cleaification?
AfaIk thats correct. No one has reported a successful restore. People who have tried end up in stock recovery loop. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution for these folks soon.

kejar31
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2335

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppermi View Post
AfaIk thats correct. No one has reported a successful restore. People who have tried end up in stock recovery loop. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution for these folks soon.
Huh?? So if you try a recovery it bricks your phone???? or are you still able to get into recovery and reinstall a ROM?

If your are unable to get into recovery can you at least restore and Odin?

boostedjti
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kejar31 View Post
Huh?? So if you try a recovery it bricks your phone???? or are you still able to get into recovery and reinstall a ROM?

If your are unable to get into recovery can you at least restore and Odin?
Not sure an odin restore is helping people.

I have a theory on a way to fix a stock recovery bootloop but that would require a bootlooped device which I'm not willing to do...

Keighles
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:

I have found pressing the vol up and vol down at the same time enables the "go back" option. It will state that it is enabled.
It will pop up when you select another option first.

Sent from my voodoo Droid Charge ED2
The Following User Says Thank You to Keighles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hoppermi
Old
Thanks Meter 966
On the Fascinate when you flashed CWM, Stock recovery would come up the first boot, then you would flash an update.zip that took you to CWM and you could flash a compatible kernel and you were on your way no more stock recovery. I don't know if something like this could work to get ppl unlooped or not, just throwing it out there.

And ShotgunSam you might as well add don't restore w/ CWM in your big red warning.

stranula
Old
Thanks Meter 104

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Not sure an odin restore is helping people.

I have a theory on a way to fix a stock recovery bootloop but that would require a bootlooped device which I'm not willing to do...
Well, I'm already stuck there, if your idea isn't too complex, I can try it out