Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,550 Members 51,197 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Returning my Iconia a500

Tip us?

tkboi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Returning my Iconia a500

Hey guys, just got the tablet for a couple of days but i have found alot of issues with it, i have read nearly everything on this forum but just cant apply any fixes to my problems. I will list down the issues hope any of you guys might be able to help.

1. GPS does not work even with wifi on or off, dosent matter cant find any satalites whatsoever.

2. Update issue, maybe its just Australia but from reading the forums in regards to whos got what updates and such, it seems like most Australians are not getting any updates.

3. I cant do a hardware reset unless im doing it wrong? i put a pin into the reset button and held it for awhile and it didnt do anything.

drkalo
Old
Thanks Meter 273
You've made a soft reset. To hard reset you need to do this:
http://how2fix.org/hard-reset-acer-i...-settings.html

Quote:
Reset Acer Iconia Tab A500 Factory Data Reset via Software Menus

From the Apps menu, tap on Settings, and then tab Privacy.
Tap on Factory Data Reset, and then tab Reset Tablet.
Tap Erase Everything to format your tablet back to factory default configuration.
I don't have any issues with GPS or updates. It updated immediately upon first boot during the setup wizard. May be the first time you start your GPS app, you need to wait a little longer - it took almost 10 minutes in my case. Go outdoors and wait a little longer. Best case is if its sunny, no high buildings around and you're not moving.
Galaxy Note - White
Nexus 7 Grouper - 32GB

bssh.eu Bulgarian Society for Surgery of the Hand

tkboi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
ahh i see but whats the difference between a soft reset and a hard reset? and yea i tried that i was outside for nearly 30mins and its still "searching for gps" and i dont live near any big bulidings

drkalo
Old
Thanks Meter 273
Soft reset is just rebooting your devise (like the reset button on a PC case). Hard reset restores the device in its original factory settings (i.e. in the state you got it the first time).

What kind of navigation software are you using? I use Sygic Aura 3 - it works pretty good on this device and its an offline navigation - once it downloads the maps through wifi it does not need internet connection. It still has some issues with tablets though - in landscape the lowest menu buttons are 80% off the screen but still "pressable".
Galaxy Note - White
Nexus 7 Grouper - 32GB

bssh.eu Bulgarian Society for Surgery of the Hand

tkboi
Old
(Last edited by tkboi; 29th May 2011 at 03:19 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
i tried using copiolt and the normal navigation that came with the tab, and also downloaded GPS status but the gps couldnt even pick up any statelites
Tags
gps issues, hardware reset