DIY TF101 USB Host Adapter Thread
Not one to relax and enjoy the spoils of war after conquering the Wall/Car charger mystery I have decided to move on to the subject of USB host without the dock. Sorry if I am duplicating other similar threads but starting a new thread helps me through the process of testing. I'm hoping the asus USB host adapter will be out soon so I can gut it like tuna but till then it is back to the rig I used for the charger probing.
So what we actually now know.
1. USB host mode requires a board found in the USB Host adapter from Asus
2. Some users are having issues with the adapter staying connected. Bad design IMO, too big of a device to be hanging off the tablet connected to thumb drives and other devices.
3. 5V is being supplied to usb devices, I have not personally verified this but will soon.
1. Build USB Host "Dongle" with connector and USB adapter.
Sounds like people are having disconnection issues, a dongle might be a better solution for that taking the pressure off the connector on the TF and move it down a wire to dongle connector. This will be my first build since it shouldn't be to difficult.
2. Machine a small attachable dock that sits at the bottom of the TF which contains the host adapter, memory cart reader slots and USB ports.
I love this idea but will take time and money I don't have at the moment. BUT drawings are already done and I'm having my machinist put it on his to do list at the bottom. Prototype in 45 days but no promises.
3. Modding a TF to contain the host adapter internally.
This requires you to open up your TF and install the board and a connector. A daunting task for anyone with even good circuit board and fabrication skills. Best person for this job is Bob, but is there space in the case?
Additional Thread and Web resource links
First Mod, Host Adapter dongle.
While building this on I'll looking in to the capability of charging the TF while using the host adapter.
USB adapter shows up tomorrow and I hit the ground running. Pics and updates to come. Stay tuned!
MY DIY THREADS
DIY TF101 Charger
- $14 wall charger & $11 car charger
DIY Keyboard Dock Barrel Charger Adapter MOD
*Get yours Modded for free, see how in thread*
DIY TF101 USB Host Adapter
TF101 Official Game Console Emulator Compatibility List
MUST VISIT THREADS
Battery Widget for Dock
[diy]composite materials custom case
Asus Transformer TF101
Client Supported Devices