[APP] [UPDATED 9/27/2011]V1.9 Working App to Backup Windows Phone 7 via ZUNE ANY TIME

Search This thread

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
I have written a .Net app for backing up windows phone 7 via the Zune updater tool. This backup can be used by Zune to restore the device when you use the "Update" option under settings.

This is a COMPLETE backup and COMPLETE restore IF USING ZUNE 4.7AND/OR the V1.9 Tool. Your phone will be EXACTLY the same after a restore as it was when you did the backup. Any updates, file changes, registry entries, or texts will not persist that were not on the phone at the time of the backup. Sorry for the bold but I have answered this question about a dozen times in PM's or on here.

Use this at YOUR discretion. There are scenarios in which you can't use the backup you made to restore. For instance on my Samsung Focus I had the stock ROM on it and couldn’t' restore my 7720 Mango backup. I had to upgrade the phone to at least 7712 Mango BEFORE the backup would restore. But I could go from 7720 to stock. When it failed I was getting a "Version Mismatch" error. Make sure you can at least get back to the REV level you backed up from before expecting this to work or you may be sorry. Finally, NEVER trust a backup that does not say it completed properly INCLUDING a SUCCESS message!!. I also HIGHLY recommend having a stock ROM on hand to flash back to the device if necessary.

HD2 owners: See Post 2 in this thread

**New features:
Manage backups/archives. Set Paths to zune and updatewp as well as the PKS file.
Archive capability of the older backups AND restore of active backup or archives.
Will Install Support Tools and PKS file if needed.

Version 1.8 will seem quite different if you are on Vista/7 with UAC and not running as a full admin. The reason is that you can't change registry entries in HKLM or move files in program files without those rights. If you werent running as a full admin before you may have trouble if you start now. Just answer the UAC prompts when a backup starts and ends to change the files/reg entries to 4.7 and back to 4.8 values/files. I tried to consider lots of conditions like what if it fails during the backup or crashes so if you launch the app after a crash it will detect that that the changed reg entries are in place and undo them to get you back to where you were prior to the last run. The UAC prompts are there to protect you so don't get mad at me when you see 2 each time you use this to backup. If you need ZuneWMDU.DLL from 4.7 check these posts attachments:
Click here for x86 (32 BIT) os's
or Click here for x64 (64 bit) os's

You can put it with the back tool or anywhere and the program will ask you where it is and you can tell it. You can even rename it to something else. For instance I have it in my Zune folder named Zunewmdu.dll.47. Just don't replace the original 4.8 Zunewmdu.dll file.

Firstly I have to credit this to reading and putting together pieces from several threads on XDA. I read so many to be honest I am no longer sure who all to credit. There was no specific single source I just saw several things and through trial and error put together the pieces that made this possible.

This APP is a wrapper around a tool microsoft produced to perform updates to your phone via command line. Specifically the executeable "updatewp.exe" that comes from the Windows Phone Support Tools. The missing piece that eluded me for a bit was the update package itself which I found here on XDA and will link to later.

Prerequisites that need to be Installed/downloaded:

Looks like at least Phone OS version 7008 is required for the backup to work.

Zune Software Installed (I'm sure most of us have this): http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/software/download/default.htm

Windows Phone Support Tools Installed - MS Links are dead ATM.

If you are missing these prerequisites the app will tell you and even open a web page on request to the DL links.

If an error occurs you should find the text in your clipboard for easy pasting here on the forums.

To explain the process:

updatewp.exe is meant to update your phone with PKS files theoretically obtained from the device manufacturer. It will also do other things including a command line restore of a backup.

This program launches updatewp.exe with two command line arguments. One is the PKS file name and path and the second is the enablebackup switch.

What happens is the phone performs the backup first, once it completes the process the code terminates updatewp.exe before it goes further. In theory if you are using an update not compatible for your phone it would actually just say that and quit. However terminating the updater keeps it from ever getting that far.

I have used this to make a complete backup AND restore it via the ZUNE Update options under settings for my phone so I know it works.

How to use the app:
Attached to this post is a zip file with two folders. x86 and x64. Please launch the appropriate EXE for your platform.

If you do not have zune or windows phone support tools it will tell you immediately and offer to open the download URL on your computer.

If you pass those tests you will need to input a path to the PKS file in the long textbox. There is a button just above it that will open a URL to the download for the one I used here on XDA. There is also a Browse button below the textbox for you to use to browse to and set the file path via GUI.

Once the path is set click on backup and watch it go. If you already have a backup made previously this will overwrite it or offer to archive it (v1.2 & up).

Good luck and post feedback, thoughts or issues please.

Changelog:
v1.9 - I pulled 1.8 and have added 1.9. This version corrects some more bugs in 1.8, one of which doesnt show the completed success message when performing a backup. The first time you launch it you will see a prompt stating this is the first time you have launched this version and you need to choose if you want to use the 4.7WMDU file switching method or just have the program try to use what you have installed. If you choose not to use the file switching method it will still check to make sure the zune and updatewp versions match but will only warn you they don't match, you can still try to proceed with the backup/restore. I have tested this in both modes doing backups and restores (this is why it took so long to get out).

v1.8 - I changed the way the program does things so that it will use the ZuneWMDU.DLL file from Zune 4.7 to perform FULL backups. You CAN'T use the tool without that file and I am not going to include it because I am not going to redistribute Microsofts property. If you are using Vista/7 with UAC you will be seeing some extra prompts because elevation is required to change reg entries and move files around to allow you to use this with the newest Zune 4.8 and still get a complete backup. To get the older ZuneWMDU.DLL file just get it from the install path of zune and then uprade to 4.8. The program will ask you for the path to the old DLL for future use/reference. Don't get pissed at me with all the UAC prompts either, they are required if you arent a full admin on the machine. I re-released 1.8 on 9/16 to fix a few minor bugs that kept it from working correctly under certain cirumstances.

v1.7 -PULLED because the backups Zune 4.8 Makes are utterly USELESS. 1.8 is in the works that will make use of the old updatewp and some old zune 4.7 files to perform COMPLETE backup and restores as it originally did.

v1.6 - Added the ability to set all of the paths (requested by folks using languages other than english). Added some management capabilities for the backups. To archive the active one immediately or move an archived backup to the active folder.

v1.5 - This only adds proper path support for windows XP. If you are using the 1.4 version and don't have XP then there is no need to upgrade.

v1.4 - Works with Mango Beta if you have updated Zune assuming you have also updated the 4.8 support tools. It will check the versions and inform you of any issues found. Also corrected the blank error message issue some users were seeing. 4.8 support tools, check the second D/L (non) link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1148123

v1.3 - Changed the path used for backup location to the LOCALAPPDATA environment variable rather than USERPROFILE to be more compatible with XP. If you don't have the windows phone backup tools installed the software will offer to DL and install them silently for you. The PKS file is now packed in with the software. If you don't have a PKS file set it will offer to unpack it and use it by default. I didnt add ZUNE install to this because well, if you don't have that your not really using your phone are you?

v1.2 - Added archive capabilities. If you choose to backup your device and a backup is in place you are asked if you want to archive it. If you choose to keep it then a folder in your documents called "Windows Phone 7 Zune Backup Archive" is where it goes. Each backup will go in to a folder labeled by the date/time it was created. The format will be Month-Day-Year Hour-Minute-Second so you know exactly from WHEN the backup was from.

Added a Restore Button that will use the latest restore if that is all you have, or ask if you want to browse and choose from the archived backups to restore. Whichever you choose will become the "Active" backup to zune and then the restore will take place afterwards. The former active backup is automatically placed in the archive. When the restore is completed the SAME backup you chose is still the active one so using ZUNE to do the restore will yield the same result.
***IF you have multiple devices the archive portion will work fine, however I have yet to find a way to identify which ID is which device so when you choose to restore from an archive YOU will have to pick the correct one or it won't work.

v1.1 - Updated where the code looks for the windows phone tools to accomidate installs of zune to alternate locations.

In Development:
Determine the device ID of the connected phone so I can keep multi device backup archives straight when presenting which backups from an archive to restore. I don't have two devices so this will be a feature in beta until it is proven by your feedback.

Last edited:

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
Error Code Troubleshooting:

Firstly, if you want help in this thread PLEASE tell us what your Computer OS is including if its 32/64 bit. What OS revision your phone is at and What kind of phone along with details of the problem! Thanks!

I found this link to MS for different error codes and a solution grid of sorts that relates to ZUNE etc..:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484484#80072EE7_801812DD_801811C5

This is a COMPLETE backup and COMPLETE restore IF USING ZUNE 4.7!!. Your phone will be EXACTLY the same after a restore as it was when you did the backup. Any updates, file changes, registry entries, or texts will not persist that were not on the phone at the time of the backup. Sorry for the bold but I have answered this question about a dozen times in PM's or on here.

ZUNE 4.8 seems to only backup whatever Zune does not synch and things like game states! I HIGHLY recommend reverting to 4.7 zune and phone tools if you want a COMPLETE backup. Zune 4.7 cant talk to Mango but it doesnt need to for a backup. A Complete backup made by 4.7 tools WILL restore with 4.8 tools.

Known Issues:
HD2 owners. There seems to be a problem using this method to backup the phone. The current theory is that the HD2 does not use the same boot loader as other WP7 devices and is not recognized correctly in that mode so it doesnt work. I would be interested in knowing how your updates are applied as the log I got from one user indicates the phone talked to the update program once it rebooted?!

Additional tips and observances:
*You CAN'T change the memory size and perform a restore, I already know this doesnt work so forget about adding memory and just restoring :(

*To my knowledge you can't backup from one device and restore to another as the backup files are signed/ID'd to the device that made the backup.

How to restore a backup via ZUNE if you don't want to use the restore feature:

Make sure your phone is hooked up to the computer first then from within the ZUNE software you should see a menu near the top right-hand side labeled "Settings". Click on that. On the settings screen look near the top left and you should see "Software" "Device" and "Account". Instead of device it may say "Phone".

Click on Device or Phone, whichever you see. The left edge has several options. Near the middle you should see "Update". Click that. You should see a progress bar for a few seconds and then most likely it will tell you that the phone is up to date. At the BOTTOM of all the text it spits out should be a button labeled "Restore" with the date of the backup.

BACKUP CREATION LOCATION:

Copy & paste the following in to the run dialog box:

Vista/Win7: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update
Win XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update

If you are running the backups with elevated privileges then you need to open a command prompt with those same privileges and paste in the above paths to find them as they may likely be in a different user account.

You will have to manuall drill down from their because the sub folder structure is named from the Phones ID.

Manual Command Line Method to Perform Backup:
All the same prerequisites apply. Zune and the windows phone support tools need to be installed.

It is easiest to have unzipped the PKS file in to folder the support tools are in. You can do this by opening the run dialog and typing: %PROGRAMFILES%\zune and hit enter or click ok. This will open explorer to that folder and you can move/copy the UNZIPPED PKS file there.

Open a command window with admin privileges. To do this in windows Vista/Win 7 with UAC enabled click on the "Start" Windows logo usually found in the bottom left corner.

In the search programs and files dialog type CMD and wait for the search to produce CMD.EXE at or near the top of the list. RIGHT click on cmd.exe and choose "Run as administrator". (hopefully you don't have to input admin credentials to do this)

At the command prompt type: cd %PROGRAMFILES%\zune (and hit enter). Your prompt should change to include the program files path and ZUNE for example "c:\progam files\zune"

Now assuming the support tools are installed correctly you can test by typing: updatewp (and hit enter) this should spam the screen with the command line options for updatewp and lets us know the rest will work.

The command to type is: updatewp.exe /iu A0CE706D-12B7-45AC-A5FC-AD04DFCA6E86.100.pks /enablebackup (and hit enter) You should be able to copy the command line as it is and right click on the DOS window at this point and choose "Paste" to save the trouble of typing that awefull string.

This is all the program I wrote does to start a backup other than kill the update process at the end since it can't happen.

I hope this works for you if the code does not!

Last edited:

Mallux

Nov 12, 2010
The system cannot find the file specified

What precedes this section of the file path? and is it the same path on Windows 7?

/Library/Application Support/Windows Phone 7 Connector/Cache/Device Update/

Last edited:

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
Looks like your trying it on a Mac? Not gonna work :(

You can do it manually. Double check the updatewp.exe command line for a mac and if its the same as a PC then run it updatewp.exe PKSFILEPATH /enablebackup

Last edited:
Reactions: skirtsfly

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
I put it in the Zune folder and then my command line was:

updatewp.exe /iu "C:\Program Files\Zune\A0CE706D-12B7-45AC-A5FC-AD04DFCA6E86.100.pks" /enablebackup

open cmd.exe to the dos prompt and change to the ZUNE folder and then type or copy & paste in the above.

Perhaps I didnt specify this but you will need to unzip that file from the other post.

Last edited:

Mallux

Nov 12, 2010
I put it in the Zune folder and then my command line was:

updatewp.exe "C:\Program Files\Zune\A0CE706D-12B7-45AC-A5FC-AD04DFCA6E86.100.pks" /enablebackup

open cmd.exe to the dos prompt and change to the ZUNE folder and then type or copy & paste in the above.

Perhaps I didnt specify this but you will need to unzip that file from the other post.

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you mean :-/

I unzipped the "A0CE706D-12B7-45AC-A5FC-AD04DFCA6E86.100.pks" file

Then, I placed it in the zune folder: C:\Program Files\Zune\

Now I have cmd open, but I don't know what you mean by "change to the ZUNE folder and then type or copy & paste in the above."

What do I change about the Zune folder? and what am I typing into the cmd promt?

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
when I say change to the zune folder I mean change the current folder the command prompt is at by typing this:

cd c:\program files\zune and press enter

copy the following text in to the clipboard:

updatewp.exe /iu "C:\Program Files\Zune\A0CE706D-12B7-45AC-A5FC-AD04DFCA6E86.100.pks" /enablebackup

Then right click on the command box and choose paste and hit enter.

OR just type the above text in to the command box and hit enter.

Last edited:
Reactions: skirtsfly

Mallux

Nov 12, 2010
Well, I got a little further, but I get this message in the cmd:

c:\Program Files\Zune>updatewp.exe "C:\Program Files\Zune\A0CE706D-12B7-45AC-A5FC-AD04DFCA6E86.100.pks" /enablebackup
'updatewp.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Mallux

Nov 12, 2010
Nice. Got the backup to work! Thanks for all the help. I'm going to hard reset and see if the backup works :)

Mallux

Nov 12, 2010
quick question: does the backup process backup everything, including word documents?

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
The backup seems to backup anything on the phone.

For instance I used the reg hacks so I could see the phone in explorer. I put a couple of files in the video folder directory as a test and the phone could play them.

Further Zune ignored them and did not consider them as part of the sync process.

When I performed by backup and restore even those files were restored.

I can not speak to folders created that are not part of the normal hierarchy but I suspect that anything on the phone is backed up.

Adding:
I should stress again that this is the same backup that zune performs when you update your device with the update tool. This is just using one of the support tools that offers command line to trigger the backup when you have a legitimate update file. In this case however the program I wrote is terminating the update before it can begin once the backup is performed. So in other words I am just "tricking" the update program in to running and performig the backup.

Last edited:

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
Mallux,

I just figured out why you were getting that error.

The code checks for the existance of zune and then the support tools specifically by checking for the existance of the files.

The checks do the same thing so I cut & paste the zune check code in for the support tools and didnt change the path to check for updatewp.exe. So basically the code checked for zune twice and then went on.

I fixed the code and updated the DL link in the first post.

Im sure now that you have the support tools installed the code would work as written, or with the new DL link.

andycted

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 20, 2009
Hi and congrats for your work (if it works ? hehe, just kidding).

Maybe you would have better feedback in posting this to the dev and hacking section or the software one ?

Just a thought, since here are mostly apps for the phone itself.

Best regards
Andy

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
[APP] Working App to Backup Windows Phone 7 via ZUNE ANY TIME

I posted this in windows phone 7 apps and it was suggested that I post it here so don't hammer me for cross posting please.

I have written a .Net app for backing up windows phone 7 via the Zune updater tool. This backup can be used by Zune to restore the device when you use the "Update" option under settings.

Firstly I have to credit this to reading and putting together pieces from several threads on XDA. I read so many to be honest I am no longer sure who all to credit. There was no specific single source I just saw several things and through trial and error put together the pieces that made this possible.

This APP is a wrapper around a tool microsoft produced to perform updates to your phone via command line. Specifically the executeable "updatewp.exe" that comes from the Windows Phone Support Tools. The missing piece that eluded me for a bit was the update package itself which I found here on XDA and will link to later.

Prerequisites that need to installed/downloaded:

Zune Software Installed: http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/software/download/default.htm

Windows Phone Support Tools Installed:

x64 Windows: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...E4A-8179-9A3C5483E366/WPSupportTool-amd64.msi

x86: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-4E4A-8179-9A3C5483E366/WPSupportTool-x86.msi

An update package from ANY phone, this one is for an HD2 that I used while working on a samsung focus. Download and Unzip:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11542700&postcount=6

If you are missing these prerequisites the app will tell you and even open a web page on request to the DL links.

Please understand this is release 1.0 and as such may have issues depending on your platform and your computer etc.... I coded it for x86 and x64 Windows with the Microsoft .net Framework 2.0 minimum. I tried to consider several error scenarios but one never knows how an end user might use your program that wasnt anticipated and coded for.

If an error occurs you should find the text in your clipboard for easy pasting here on the forums.

To explain the process:

updatewp.exe is meant to update your phone with PKS files theoretically obtained from the device manufacturer. It will also do other things including a command line restore of a backup.

This program launches updatewp.exe with two command line arguments. One is the PKS file name and path and the second is the enablebackup switch.

What happens is the phone performs the backup first, once it completes the process the code terminates updatewp.exe before it goes further. In theory if you are using an update not compatible for your phone it would actually just say that and quit. However terminating the updater keeps it from ever getting that far.

I have used this to make a complete backup AND restore it via the ZUNE Update options under settings for my phone so I know it works.

One could most likely also archive backups by copying/moving from their storage point before creating a new one so as to have a backup that could be reverted to from a point in time further than the last one on record. If there is enough interest in such a feature and incentive I would consider adding it here.

Attached to this post is a zip file with two folders. x86 and x64. Please launch the appropriate EXE for your platform.

If you do not have zune or windows phone support tools it will tell you immediately and offer to open the download URL on your computer.

If you pass those tests you will need to input a path to the PKS file in the long textbox. There is a button just above it that will open a URL to the download for the one I used here on XDA. There is also a Browse button below the textbox for you to use to browse to and set the file path via GUI.

Once the path is set click on backup and watch it go. If you already have a backup made previously this will overwrite it.

I can not say if this will work with a debranded phone but I don't see why not. My focus is an out of the box stock AT&T phone with chevron unlock on it (which you shouldnt need) and a couple of non-marketplace apps.

***Adding Instructions on how to restore as its come up a few times:

Make sure your phone is hooked up to the computer first then from within the ZUNE software you should see a menu near the top right-hand side labeled "Settings". Click on that. On the settings screen look near the top left and you should see "Software" "Device" and "Account". Instead of device it may say "Phone".

Click on Device or Phone, whichever you see. The left edge has several options. Near the middle you should see "Update". Click that. You should see a progress bar for a few seconds and then most likely it will tell you that the phone is up to date. At the BOTTOM of all the text it spits out should be a button labeled "Restore" with the date of the backup.

You CAN'T change the memory size and perform a restore, I already know this doesnt work.

Last edited:

gremmmy

Nov 19, 2009
Ok first off all, I have to thanks for you for your hard work! The tool just worked like a charm. I just used the back-up tool and it succeeded made a backup of my Omnia 7. I'm just wondering a few things:

Is my phone identical the same if I use the backup tool? That means the register changes and installed apps??

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
I have used the zune update - Restore function and everything was the same. I have several xbox live games and after the restore I was still at the same place in my games. Further my phone is chevron unlocked and remained so after the restore.

Further, I did the reg hacks to see the phone in explorer when zune is closed and put a couple of small vid files in the video folder. Those files did not show up in Zune on my PC or in my collections but the phone could play them just fine. After the restore they were still there too. So from what I can tell the une backup tool backs up the phones memory as it is no matter what is there. I have not tested non-standard folders that are user created though but would assume they would work all the same.

Further a couple of observations:

During development I found I could unplug the phone at any time during the backup process and it would be just fine. No harm.

In Zune when the phone is hooked up I could see the "memory graph" and it had slices in it and hovering over them with the mouse would yield what each slice was... e.g. Videos, Music, pictures etc... I had a large area that said it was reserved for data "from another computer" or some such verbiage. After the restore that was gone and I had a little more memory back for my own use. The slices seemed to be gone too but had no effect on what zune synched etc... Perhaps a full resynch might change it but I havent done that.

**Adding:
Having re-read your post I am now wondering if you are asking if your phone is the same as after the backup as it was prior to the backup? It should be unchanged. The backup process is the same that would occur if you were performing a legitimate carrier update. The process says it transfers the update to the phone but does not execute it until after the backup. My code terminates the updatewp.exe program before that happens so ultimately you might have the 310k file still on your phone in some "updates" folder somewhere.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is a COMPLETE backup and COMPLETE restore IF USING ZUNE 4.7AND/OR the V1.9 Tool. Your phone will be EXACTLY the same after a restore as it was when you did the backup. Any updates, file changes, registry entries, or texts will not persist that were not on the phone at the time of the backup. Sorry for the bold but I have answered this question about a dozen times in PM's or on here.

Use this at YOUR discretion. There are scenarios in which you can't use the backup you made to restore. For instance on my Samsung Focus I had the stock ROM on it and couldn’t' restore my 7720 Mango backup. I had to upgrade the phone to at least 7712 Mango BEFORE the backup would restore. But I could go from 7720 to stock. When it failed I was getting a "Version Mismatch" error. Make sure you can at least get back to the REV level you backed up from before expecting this to work or you may be sorry. Finally, NEVER trust a backup that does not say it completed properly INCLUDING a SUCCESS message!!. I also HIGHLY recommend having a stock ROM on hand to flash back to the device if necessary.

HD2 owners: See Post 2 in this thread

**New features:
    Manage backups/archives. Set Paths to zune and updatewp as well as the PKS file.
    Archive capability of the older backups AND restore of active backup or archives.
    Will Install Support Tools and PKS file if needed.

Version 1.8 will seem quite different if you are on Vista/7 with UAC and not running as a full admin. The reason is that you can't change registry entries in HKLM or move files in program files without those rights. If you werent running as a full admin before you may have trouble if you start now. Just answer the UAC prompts when a backup starts and ends to change the files/reg entries to 4.7 and back to 4.8 values/files. I tried to consider lots of conditions like what if it fails during the backup or crashes so if you launch the app after a crash it will detect that that the changed reg entries are in place and undo them to get you back to where you were prior to the last run. The UAC prompts are there to protect you so don't get mad at me when you see 2 each time you use this to backup. If you need ZuneWMDU.DLL from 4.7 check these posts attachments:
    Click here for x86 (32 BIT) os's
    or Click here for x64 (64 bit) os's

You can put it with the back tool or anywhere and the program will ask you where it is and you can tell it. You can even rename it to something else. For instance I have it in my Zune folder named Zunewmdu.dll.47. Just don't replace the original 4.8 Zunewmdu.dll file.

Prerequisites that need to be Installed/downloaded:

Looks like at least Phone OS version 7008 is required for the backup to work.

Zune Software Installed (I'm sure most of us have this): http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/software/download/default.htm

Windows Phone Support Tools Installed - MS Links are dead ATM.

To explain the process:

How to use the app:

Once the path is set click on backup and watch it go. If you already have a backup made previously this will overwrite it or offer to archive it (v1.2 & up).

Changelog:
    v1.9 - I pulled 1.8 and have added 1.9. This version corrects some more bugs in 1.8, one of which doesnt show the completed success message when performing a backup. The first time you launch it you will see a prompt stating this is the first time you have launched this version and you need to choose if you want to use the 4.7WMDU file switching method or just have the program try to use what you have installed. If you choose not to use the file switching method it will still check to make sure the zune and updatewp versions match but will only warn you they don't match, you can still try to proceed with the backup/restore. I have tested this in both modes doing backups and restores (this is why it took so long to get out).

v1.8 - I changed the way the program does things so that it will use the ZuneWMDU.DLL file from Zune 4.7 to perform FULL backups. You CAN'T use the tool without that file and I am not going to include it because I am not going to redistribute Microsofts property. If you are using Vista/7 with UAC you will be seeing some extra prompts because elevation is required to change reg entries and move files around to allow you to use this with the newest Zune 4.8 and still get a complete backup. To get the older ZuneWMDU.DLL file just get it from the install path of zune and then uprade to 4.8. The program will ask you for the path to the old DLL for future use/reference. Don't get pissed at me with all the UAC prompts either, they are required if you arent a full admin on the machine. I re-released 1.8 on 9/16 to fix a few minor bugs that kept it from working correctly under certain cirumstances.

v1.7 -PULLED because the backups Zune 4.8 Makes are utterly USELESS. 1.8 is in the works that will make use of the old updatewp and some old zune 4.7 files to perform COMPLETE backup and restores as it originally did.

v1.6 - Added the ability to set all of the paths (requested by folks using languages other than english). Added some management capabilities for the backups. To archive the active one immediately or move an archived backup to the active folder.

v1.5 - This only adds proper path support for windows XP. If you are using the 1.4 version and don't have XP then there is no need to upgrade.

v1.4 - Works with Mango Beta if you have updated Zune assuming you have also updated the 4.8 support tools. It will check the versions and inform you of any issues found. Also corrected the blank error message issue some users were seeing. 4.8 support tools, check the second D/L (non) link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1148123

v1.3 - Changed the path used for backup location to the LOCALAPPDATA environment variable rather than USERPROFILE to be more compatible with XP. If you don't have the windows phone backup tools installed the software will offer to DL and install them silently for you. The PKS file is now packed in with the software. If you don't have a PKS file set it will offer to unpack it and use it by default. I didnt add ZUNE install to this because well, if you don't have that your not really using your phone are you?

v1.2 - Added archive capabilities. If you choose to backup your device and a backup is in place you are asked if you want to archive it. If you choose to keep it then a folder in your documents called "Windows Phone 7 Zune Backup Archive" is where it goes. Each backup will go in to a folder labeled by the date/time it was created. The format will be Month-Day-Year Hour-Minute-Second so you know exactly from WHEN the backup was from.

Added a Restore Button that will use the latest restore if that is all you have, or ask if you want to browse and choose from the archived backups to restore. Whichever you choose will become the "Active" backup to zune and then the restore will take place afterwards. The former active backup is automatically placed in the archive. When the restore is completed the SAME backup you chose is still the active one so using ZUNE to do the restore will yield the same result.
    ***IF you have multiple devices the archive portion will work fine, however I have yet to find a way to identify which ID is which device so when you choose to restore from an archive YOU will have to pick the correct one or it won't work.

v1.1 - Updated where the code looks for the windows phone tools to accomidate installs of zune to alternate locations.

In Development:
    Determine the device ID of the connected phone so I can keep multi device backup archives straight when presenting which backups from an archive to restore. I don't have two devices so this will be a feature in beta until it is proven by your feedback.
    If you do the restore via commandline the error is probably "Version Mismatch" (updatewp.exe /restore)

Can you get back to 7712? You might be able to get this to load if you are 7712 instead of 7720.

I tried a 7712 and a 7720 and they both failed :(

I think it's due to the new firmware and radio that is in the HTC Leaked rom.

My phone had some dead pixels on the display and all of a sudden got a green line though the center of the screen, so I got a warranty replacement from Asurion (US Phone insurance). I don't have to worry about that now. I will be sticking with the RTM via Zune till someone unlocks the leaked roms. So I just had to delete my 16gb of backups (7 of them) from my last phone.

So, with my new phone, I am needing to back it up, I guess I'll try 1.8 for this one...

Crap I need to find the ZuneWMDU.DLL file from 4.7, anyone got ?

Downloaded Zune 4.7, when you start installing it, it looks for updates (no way around it from what I see) and just trys to install 4.8. Any work around to get this file so I can do a backup ?

Edit: I downloaded 4.7, extracted the MSI for the zunewmdu and found the file with out having to install 4.7 over my 4.8 install. 32bit, I assume.

I zipped it up and attached it to this post, if you download it, please hit thanks for me !
    Error Code Troubleshooting:

Firstly, if you want help in this thread PLEASE tell us what your Computer OS is including if its 32/64 bit. What OS revision your phone is at and What kind of phone along with details of the problem! Thanks!

I found this link to MS for different error codes and a solution grid of sorts that relates to ZUNE etc..:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484484#80072EE7_801812DD_801811C5

This is a COMPLETE backup and COMPLETE restore IF USING ZUNE 4.7!!. Your phone will be EXACTLY the same after a restore as it was when you did the backup. Any updates, file changes, registry entries, or texts will not persist that were not on the phone at the time of the backup. Sorry for the bold but I have answered this question about a dozen times in PM's or on here.

ZUNE 4.8 seems to only backup whatever Zune does not synch and things like game states! I HIGHLY recommend reverting to 4.7 zune and phone tools if you want a COMPLETE backup. Zune 4.7 cant talk to Mango but it doesnt need to for a backup. A Complete backup made by 4.7 tools WILL restore with 4.8 tools.

Known Issues:
    HD2 owners. There seems to be a problem using this method to backup the phone. The current theory is that the HD2 does not use the same boot loader as other WP7 devices and is not recognized correctly in that mode so it doesnt work. I would be interested in knowing how your updates are applied as the log I got from one user indicates the phone talked to the update program once it rebooted?!

Additional tips and observances:
    *You CAN'T change the memory size and perform a restore, I already know this doesnt work so forget about adding memory and just restoring :(

*To my knowledge you can't backup from one device and restore to another as the backup files are signed/ID'd to the device that made the backup.

How to restore a backup via ZUNE if you don't want to use the restore feature:

BACKUP CREATION LOCATION:

Copy & paste the following in to the run dialog box:

Vista/Win7: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update
    Win XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update

If you are running the backups with elevated privileges then you need to open a command prompt with those same privileges and paste in the above paths to find them as they may likely be in a different user account.

You will have to manuall drill down from their because the sub folder structure is named from the Phones ID.

Manual Command Line Method to Perform Backup:
    All the same prerequisites apply. Zune and the windows phone support tools need to be installed.

It is easiest to have unzipped the PKS file in to folder the support tools are in. You can do this by opening the run dialog and typing: %PROGRAMFILES%\zune and hit enter or click ok. This will open explorer to that folder and you can move/copy the UNZIPPED PKS file there.

Open a command window with admin privileges. To do this in windows Vista/Win 7 with UAC enabled click on the "Start" Windows logo usually found in the bottom left corner.

In the search programs and files dialog type CMD and wait for the search to produce CMD.EXE at or near the top of the list. RIGHT click on cmd.exe and choose "Run as administrator". (hopefully you don't have to input admin credentials to do this)

At the command prompt type: cd %PROGRAMFILES%\zune (and hit enter). Your prompt should change to include the program files path and ZUNE for example "c:\progam files\zune"

Now assuming the support tools are installed correctly you can test by typing: updatewp (and hit enter) this should spam the screen with the command line options for updatewp and lets us know the rest will work.

The command to type is: updatewp.exe /iu A0CE706D-12B7-45AC-A5FC-AD04DFCA6E86.100.pks /enablebackup (and hit enter) You should be able to copy the command line as it is and right click on the DOS window at this point and choose "Paste" to save the trouble of typing that awefull string.

This is all the program I wrote does to start a backup other than kill the update process at the end since it can't happen.

I hope this works for you if the code does not!
    Edit: I downloaded 4.7, extracted the MSI for the zunewmdu and found the file with out having to install 4.7 over my 4.8 install.

I zipped it up and attached it to this post, if you download it, please hit thanks for me !

here is the one for 64bit OS.

edit: just tried v1.8 on Win7 64bit, Zune client 4.8 latest with 7720.68 on phone. after some hiccups (didn't have the correct phone support tools) it finally makes a backup. It still displays an error message before it starts though. The size of the backup (>4Gb) corresponds to everything on the device (so it definitely makes a full backup). A window opens and reads something about cannot switch files or similar. After it's done it just sits there at 100%, no confirmation message? I closed it and disconnected the phone from the USB to finish. Zune displays the restore point that I just created OK. will try to reproduce this.
    [APP] Working App to Backup Windows Phone 7 via ZUNE ANY TIME

I posted this in windows phone 7 apps and it was suggested that I post it here so don't hammer me for cross posting please.

Prerequisites that need to installed/downloaded:

Zune Software Installed: http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/software/download/default.htm

Windows Phone Support Tools Installed:

x64 Windows: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...E4A-8179-9A3C5483E366/WPSupportTool-amd64.msi

x86: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-4E4A-8179-9A3C5483E366/WPSupportTool-x86.msi

An update package from ANY phone, this one is for an HD2 that I used while working on a samsung focus. Download and Unzip:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11542700&postcount=6

Please understand this is release 1.0 and as such may have issues depending on your platform and your computer etc.... I coded it for x86 and x64 Windows with the Microsoft .net Framework 2.0 minimum. I tried to consider several error scenarios but one never knows how an end user might use your program that wasnt anticipated and coded for.

To explain the process:

One could most likely also archive backups by copying/moving from their storage point before creating a new one so as to have a backup that could be reverted to from a point in time further than the last one on record. If there is enough interest in such a feature and incentive I would consider adding it here.

Once the path is set click on backup and watch it go. If you already have a backup made previously this will overwrite it.

I can not say if this will work with a debranded phone but I don't see why not. My focus is an out of the box stock AT&T phone with chevron unlock on it (which you shouldnt need) and a couple of non-marketplace apps.

***Adding Instructions on how to restore as its come up a few times:

You CAN'T change the memory size and perform a restore, I already know this doesnt work.