Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,823 Members 51,656 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Nook Color Tweaks

Tip us?

dalingrin
Old
(Last edited by dalingrin; 1st July 2011 at 03:13 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2737
Default [APP] Nook Color Tweaks

Want to try to overclock to 1.3ghz+?
Tired of the speaker not being loud enough?
Tired of hiss and noise with your high sensitivity headphones?
What is this?
I have made a free app in the Android market to tweak a few things I've added to the Nook Color kernel. I hope to add more features to this app later. For now you can adjust:
*CPU speed per stepping. Allows you to overclock as much or as little as you want.
*CPU voltage control. Undervolt for better battery life and/or overvolt for better overclocking.
*Headphone analog gain
*External speaker analog gain
*DAC gain
*USB Host control(requires OC kernel 06/18/11+)
*U-Boot control(courtesy of FatTire)
What can I do with this?
The CPU settings allow you to customize the CPU clock rate. With my overclock kernel the OMAP CPU has 5 OPPs(steppings) available. This app allows you to change the clock rate for each of those OPPs at runtime. Want to try to overclock to 1.3ghz? This app allows you to set the clock rate of your choosing.
You can also use this app to help get rid of hiss and noise on your headphones. I have sensitive headphones and I find the hiss and noise to be downright abnoxious on the Nook Color. With B&N default settings, I can only turn up the "Android media" volume to 25-35% before its too loud. This means the volume difference between the noise floor and the audio is very small which makes the noise noticiable. To partially fix this issue you can either turn down the DAC volume in this app or turn down the headphone analog gain. I prefer to just turn down the headphone analog gain until I can increase the "Android media" volume to 85-90% for comfortable listening levels.

If the external speaker is too quiet you may need to increase the DAC gain. Note that this will also increase the headphone volume so you may need to subsequently decrease the headphone analog gain.
Why use this app and not the other apps in the market?
The primary advantage to using this app versus other more generic apps you might find in the market is that this app makes low level changes in the driver to increase volume. Other apps must make these changes in software to be hardware agnostic. This leads to reduced audio quality versus hardware level changes.
Note: This app requires kernel support. For audio settings you will need a newer 2.6.32 kernel found in CM7 Nightly 88+ or my(Dalingrin) overclock kernel for B&N Froyo 1.2 and CM7.
For CPU settings you will need a 2.6.32 overclocked kernel from 06/09/11 or later.

Download:
https://market.android.com/details?i...ookcolortweaks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nooktweaks_main.jpg
Views:	4371
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	620642   Click image for larger version

Name:	nooktweaks_audio.jpg
Views:	3549
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	620643   Click image for larger version

Name:	nooktweaks_cpu.jpg
Views:	3652
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	620644  
The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to dalingrin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Backwardsblade
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I love it! It works great so far for external speaker, really helps when in the car with music and in a case watching netflix. Thanks again!

seth.i.simmons
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Awesome app Dal, just what I was looking for! Thanks for all your awesome work on the NC.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

bugeyed1
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I am running CM7 5252011 #87 nightly & this app notifies me that the kernel is not compatible & I need a later ver of CM7. What am I doing wrong. BTW thanks for this app. It is a big deal!!!!

Thanks,
kev

seth.i.simmons
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Just tried messing with the settings for the headphones, and wow, its so much clearer now! Awesome app, really makes the NC that much better.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

don_ernesto
Old
Thanks Meter 13
two good things happen with this apps:

first, it really reduces hiss in the headphones to levels i cannot hear

second, finally it has a link to donate to the person who contributed the most in making the nook the great device it is now
ace7196 Old
(Last edited by ace7196; 31st May 2011 at 06:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_ernesto View Post
two good things happen with this apps:

first, it really reduces hiss in the headphones to levels i cannot hear

second, finally it has a link to donate to the person who contributed the most in making the nook the great device it is now
I think people should get the app just to donate to Dal

EDIT: Ah ha! A direct link. DONATE PEOPLE!
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...=S8ZMTYR2J2JFu
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

12paq
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace7196 View Post
I think people should get the app just to donate to Dal

EDIT: Ah ha! A direct link. DONATE PEOPLE!
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...=S8ZMTYR2J2JFu

Absolutely!
Thanks Ace.

. . .

Man volume fixes, and usb host coming in at the same time.. you know somthings are brewing when the devs go quite for a while.
~ a random gallery of my photographic work ~
...............___________________

.....- for Andriod and stuffs, you can follow me here
.....- for my commercial photography follow me here

thefamousmoe
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I am actually having some problems with this app. I can increase the DAC a little bit, but if I even touch the external speakers option the sound goes out which requires a reboot. I am running nightly 87, with the oc kernal of 5/23. Any ideas? Great app by the way, I can tell from increasing the DAC that it helps a lot.

furius
Old
Thanks Meter 43
5 stars for you on the market
of course!
Actual Phone : Nexus 5 Rom : Stock rooted
Phone History : HTC Hero Nexus One (I loved it so much) Galaxy Nexus HTC One X Tegra3
Tablet : GT 7.7 Wifi Rom : ParanoidAndroid
Wearables: Pebble SmartWatch
Mini PC: mk808 + rc11 Rom : Finless 1.7c
My Apps on the Play Store