5,598,463 Members 46,949 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Getting Started with the X2 - Easy Root and Bloat Clean up [6/3/11]

Tip us?

nitroglycerine33
Old
(Last edited by nitroglycerine33; 8th June 2011 at 09:53 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 5284

DONATE TO ME
Default Getting Started with the X2 - Easy Root and Bloat Clean up [6/3/11]

Hello All!

This is a quick "guide" to get you going on your new Droid X2. The X2 can be easily rooted using Gingerbreak. To use the exploit make sure you have USB Debugging enabled and install the Gingerbreak apk courtesy of Chainfire. For more information of how it works visit Chainfire's page here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1044765.

Root X2 using Gingerbreak
Instructions- Ensure you have your SD card inserted and mounted, enable USB debugging and Install gingerbreak apk. Click on Root Device. Your phone will reboot and you will have Superuser installed when your phone is rooted.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?rdan1eqfk7ce0wz

Host File to block Ads*Added 6/3
Here is a host file that will block ads within apps. I have slightly modified this host file so that it doesn't break zynga games and a few others. Adfree blocks nearly everything (which is good), but can break the functionality of some games and apps.
Instructions-Use root explorer, mount the system in R/W and place the file in system/etc *Make a backup of your existing version
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?a1nynz5bni766ad

GPS Mod*Added 6/3
Here is a modded gps.config file to lock in GPS faster. It changes the GPS satellite location to the US instead of North America.
Instructions-Use root explorer, mount the system in R/W and place the file in system/etc *Make a backup of your existing version
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?sonmbwj9c30m8s9

Froyo Malware Exploit "Patch"*Added 6/3
This tricks an older and current froyo exploit into thinking it has already ran. All you need to do is place a blank file (created in linux) with the name of "profile" and place it in system/bin. I have created a zip file with the profile file inside. I had to place it within a zip file since you cannot upload empty files to mediafire.
Instructions: Extract the zip and use root explorer (mount R/W) to place the profile file in system/bin.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?pkl6zhq94w1jqbo

Spare Parts for X2*Added 6/8
Here is a stripped down Cyanogenmod spare parts for our phones if anyone would like it. It doesn't have all the crap the market version comes along with. You can use this to speed up window and transition animations and lock the launcher in memory.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?amd9s9bacgyadba

We do not have an SBF for our phones yet if you choose to remove the apps you will not be able to restore at this time.

Safe List of apps to remove/Freeze (recommended to freeze, but I removed mine and have had no issues)

DO NOT REMOVE AUTHENTICATING APPS!! IT WILL BREAK CONTACTS FUNCTIONALITY!! IF YOU USE AN APP OR WIDGET THEN DONT REMOVE IT!
I will add more to the list as I find them
Amazon Kindle
Amazon MP3
Backup Assistant
Backup Assistant Client
Blockbuster
City ID
DLNA 0709.69
DLNAsystemService
Emergency Alerts
Help Center
Homescreen tips
IM 3.0.4.6
IM presence
Lets golf
My Verizon (May have force closes after removed but will be fine when rebooted)
News 2.2.2
NFL Mobile
NFS Shift
Quickoffice
Rich Location
Tasks 1.0
VCAST Apps
VCAST Music
VCAST Videos
Voice Commands - Will remove dialer voice searching functionality (VSuite.apk)
Voicemail - Remove the visual voicemail
VZ Navigator

New Added *6/3
BlurTasks.apk
Cmas.apk
PerformanceManager.apk
StatusWidget.apk
StickNotWidget.apk
WeatherWidget.apk
WorldClockWidget.apk

Donations are not expected but always greatly appreciated. Thank you for supporting Eclipse Rom!
Follow me on Twitter @nitroglycerin33
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to nitroglycerine33 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

phys1x
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Which application did you use to remove the default apps? My DX2 is now rooted with busybox but the android application manager still locks the default apps.

Thanks!

nitroglycerine33
Old
Thanks Meter 5284

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by phys1x View Post
Which application did you use to remove the default apps? My DX2 is now rooted with busybox but the android application manager still locks the default apps.

Thanks!
You can use titanium backup to freeze the apps or use Root Explorer (mount R/W) to remove the apps. Remove the corresponding odex file with the app (if it has one) as well.

When I removed the apps I just made a folder on my SD card and moved them there in case I needed them.

Donations are not expected but always greatly appreciated. Thank you for supporting Eclipse Rom!

Bigdragon2k3
Old
Thanks Meter 10
The only 2 apps that broke contacts atleast for me was the yahoo contacts and authenticator. I have frozen all the other ones with no problems.

Thracia
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Ahh, this is a good list, thanks for the heads-up. I've been wanting to uninstall some of this bloat, but wasn't sure which ones were safe to remove.

What is Rich Location, anyway?

Heelpir8
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I think NFS Shift and Lets Golf are probably safe to uninstall as there's no trick to uninstalling them and I couldn't imagine them being tied to OTA update eligibility.

nitroglycerine33
Old
Thanks Meter 5284

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelpir8 View Post
I think NFS Shift and Lets Golf are probably safe to uninstall as there's no trick to uninstalling them and I couldn't imagine them being tied to OTA update eligibility.
You are correct

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App

HerbManORedEye
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello all,

So I'm still pretty new to this! I had a HTC Hero and finally decided to root it because my contract was up and thought her why not. Anyways I put CM6 then 7 on the phone and loved it.

Anyways I just bought an X2 and I wan't this Motoblur put into the grave faster than my mother in law! I was wondering if I use this exploit gingerbreak will I be able to recieve the OTA of gingerbread when it is released? Also will gingerbreak allow me to get rid of motoblur?

Thracia
Old
(Last edited by Thracia; 1st June 2011 at 05:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Giving yourself root access won't keep you from receiving the OTA, but there's a chance something might go wrong-- or so Motorola warns. Gingerbreak has an "unroot" option, however, so just do that before updating and things should go fine. And, unfortunately, you can not simply remove Motoblur. You have home/launcher replacements like LauncherPro and ADW Launcher though, and those help speed up the phone on the home screen. Root also gives you the chance to remove unwanted apps like the ones above, which can be quite helpful in speeding up the system as a whole.

On the bright side, blue blur is a helluva lot better than old blur.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thracia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

magicriggs
Old
Thanks Meter 89
thanks for this! Im using bloat freezer and it seems to be working!

^^

-- SEE ME IN ACTION --

http://www.youtube.com/user/MagicRiggs
[SIGPIC]