[GUIDE] Desire Z/G2 Rooting and Flashing Firmware for Noobs
Hey guys, i rooted my Desire Z with these Tutorials out there and i recognized not everything is that clear and easy to understand if you are a noob like me with this stuff. First i want to say that im from austria and so please ignore when my english is not that good.
Now just start here. When you are done with that all you can have any rom running on youre phone, but i recommend the ones designed for the desire z.
>>> Click here to read the full tutorial on my website with fast download links. ;D
!!! BEFORE YOU START YOU MUST CREATE A BACKUP OF ALL YOR DATA YOU HAVE ON YOUR PHONE !!!
Don't worry, youre friut ninja scores are still on feint.
1. First you will have to install ADB. If you have it skip that part.
Just head over here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
Download the .zip archive and extract "android-sdk-windows" to C:\
Now run SDK Manager.exe and let it install everything. This could take looooong hours...
2. Now you have to check the infocid of your Desire Z. Make sure the developement mode is turned on (USB-Debugging).
Open up a cmd window on your PC (Windows Key + R and type "cmd") and type:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem boot
If your INFOCID doesnt match the following you'll need a goldcard to continue (Get it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=832503
3. So now you have to download 3 Files:
Broken link? Click here: W3D3 @ devFTW
IMPORTANT! When you save psneuter remove the txt file extention, it should hav none!
4. Extract the file misc_version from misc_version_01.zip (just downloaded in step 3). Just ignore the rest. Put that file to C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools.
5. Get the PC10IMG.zip from here: http://www.multiupload.com/GH26HXLLES
6. Now you open the cmd again and type following commands: (type cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools first if youve closed the window)
adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell /data/local/tmp/psneuter
7. Congrats if you now see a #! You now have root access.
If you see a $ something went wrong here. Just go back to step 1 and check youve done everything right.
8. Beside the # type:
/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.33.405.5
9. Now copy the 1.34.405.5_PC10IMG.zip to youre phone's SD card (Download in step 5) and rename it PC10IMG.zip
10. Now boot youre phone's bootloader with following commands:
adb reboot bootloader
Or you can just switch youre phone off. Switch it on again while you press the power button and the trackpad together.
You now see the bootloader screen with the 3 android skaters on the bottom.
11. Select BOOTLOADER.
Wait a few seconds.
Then the Bootloader will load our PC10IMG.zip
When asked for update press VOL UP to confirm.
Now wait and restart your phone when prompted.
12. When you check your version at your phone now it should say "1.34". Youre desire z is now downgroaded.
13. Enable USB-Debugging again.
14. Extract the contents in root.zip to the platform-tools folder.
15. Now type that in cmd:
adb install AndroidTerm.apk
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/
adb push gfree /data/local/tmp/
adb push rage /data/local/tmp
adb push root /data/local/tmp/
adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*
adb push su /sdcard/
adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/
16. Start the new app "Terminal Emulator" on your phone and type:
After a while you'll see the message: "Forked [number] childs"
Press MENU > reset terminal
The terminal will close.
Start it again. It will force close.
Start it again. You should see the # sign again.
Beside it write following:
After that type:
This will root your phone. When you get that message "mkdir: /system/xbin already exists", don't worry everything is ok.
After that restart your phone.
17. Install ROM Manager from market. Install The ClockworkMod Recovery.
After that you should go to "restart to recovery-system"(or similar) and from there you chose Backup/Restore and create a backup from your current rom.
(Note that you chose with the trackpad in Clockwork and not with the power button like in the bootloader)
When that's done you can come back to that status everytime you want.
(How to Restore when something isnt working:
- Start the device with trackpad holded.
- Chose Fastboot in Bootmanager. (if he asks for update again you forgot to remove the PC10IMG.zip from your SD)
- Chose Recovery
- ClockworkMod Recovery will show up
- Go to Backup/Restore and chose your Backup to restore
- Done. )
18. In RomManager chose Download ROM or install from SD card when you've found a ROM you like.
19. When it's done loading and there is a small window with 3 points make sure the 3rd AND the 2nd is chosen! if you forget to chose the 2nd point youre phone will make bootloops!
ENJOY your rooted DESIRE Z!
(Credits go to g4rb4g3
for the great solution of downgroading)
Please hit Thanks if you liked the Tut.