Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

[TUTORIAL]How to unpack/repack .apk files

OP despotovski01

14th June 2011, 07:13 PM   |  #21  
despotovski01's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,910
 
1,458 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah805

will this allow me access to edit smalli and values?

What's smalli? And yes, it will allow you to edit some .xml files and images (including the app icon).
14th June 2011, 07:24 PM   |  #22  
Rydah805's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ventura County, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,180
 
3,862 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by despotovski01

What's smalli? And yes, it will allow you to edit some .xml files and images (including the app icon).

im asking, because it didnt show values folder, like when you decompile an apk. (specifically in com.htc.resources.apk)
14th June 2011, 08:16 PM   |  #23  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 75
 
133 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
not usefull, watch the framework-res.apk file.
You dont get all things.

or you need to make a converter for resources.arsc to
14th June 2011, 09:10 PM   |  #24  
Senior Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 157
 
506 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
When using an acrhive manager such as WinRAR to extract the files, that's great and all if you are just going to replace/add/modify existing images. But, for .xml's, you have to use something that decodes them or uncompresses them from the binary format they are in.

Trust me, I have been creating Icon zips for a few months now and in order to edit .xml values, I have found it a MUST to have APK Tool or APK manager installed on the machine.

Simply unzipping and then zipping back up doesn't do anything unless you are not editing any resources (.xmls, values, smali, etc.)
15th June 2011, 02:36 AM   |  #25  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 39
 
202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
For those still interested in editing apks on OS X without unpacking and hence without resigning I have found something that works!

muCommander! Just rename the .apk to .zip and browse it using muCommander just like you would using WinRar! Just tested it, I was able to add and remove files without resigning. The modified apk installed on my phone without a problem!

As for editing xml values you can simply copy the xml file out and edit it using your favourite editor and then copy them back in.

Hope I was able to help some OS X users.

/edit By the way, this method (WinRar or muCommander) also works for editing update.zip. This means you can customise the rom (add/remove system apks, change the boot animation etc) before you flash it.
Last edited by daisun; 15th June 2011 at 02:45 AM.
15th June 2011, 09:01 AM   |  #26  
despotovski01's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,910
 
1,458 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisun

For those still interested in editing apks on OS X without unpacking and hence without resigning I have found something that works!

muCommander! Just rename the .apk to .zip and browse it using muCommander just like you would using WinRar! Just tested it, I was able to add and remove files without resigning. The modified apk installed on my phone without a problem!

As for editing xml values you can simply copy the xml file out and edit it using your favourite editor and then copy them back in.

Hope I was able to help some OS X users.

/edit By the way, this method (WinRar or muCommander) also works for editing update.zip. This means you can customise the rom (add/remove system apks, change the boot animation etc) before you flash it.

Thanks for the tut! I don't have a Mac to test it, but it sounds good. Would you mind if I add it to my tutorial with your credit, of course?
15th June 2011, 09:23 AM   |  #27  
LiquidSolstice's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,497
 
4,690 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2008
More
[QUOTE=daisun;14715111]That method works perfectly under Windows and is the method I use personally. However, I would also like to perform the same thing under OSX (on my Macbook).QUOTE]

Ahh. Excuse me, I completely missed the OS X part. Best of luck with that.
15th June 2011, 03:20 PM   |  #28  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 39
 
202 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by despotovski01

Thanks for the tut! I don't have a Mac to test it, but it sounds good. Would you mind if I add it to my tutorial with your credit, of course?

Of course you may add it to your tutorial. I'm all for spreading knowledge!
The Following User Says Thank You to daisun For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2011, 08:45 PM   |  #29  
kgbrown247's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Okc, OK
Thanks Meter: 12
 
200 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
More
nice tutorial, there are noobs that have the slightest clue about android, let alone windows
16th June 2011, 12:21 AM   |  #30  
YoungSinema's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lancaster, CA
Thanks Meter: 101
 
538 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Wait! Does this just do what 7zip can do, but with more steps? Not to be rude, but...

I second everything Liquid said, and also OP I like how you listen to the criticism without arguing. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can expand this into something more useful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoungSinema For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, apk, archive, repack, unpack
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes