5,596,784 Members 47,207 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[CM7] Help track down Sleep of Death (NEW Second form, Apps and Widgets!)

Tip us?

khaytsus
Old
(Last edited by khaytsus; 8th June 2011 at 01:04 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1010
Default [CM7] Help track down Sleep of Death (NEW Second form, Apps and Widgets!)

Hey guys, per Dalingrin's posts in the CM7 Dev or General thread, he's been unable to reproduce Sleep of Death. A lot of folks have seen it but it's hard to pin down a pattern in forum posts, so I created a google spreadsheet form to track builds and configuration people are using.

Dal has looked over the form and gives his thumbs up, so let's fill it out! The idea here is to fill out for EVERY SOD you have, filling out the latest information. If you remember the details, feel free to fill out recent SOD info.

If anyone sees anything I should update/modify or add, let me know. Also, if anyone wants an Excel file from either or both forms for analysis, please let me know and I'll send it. One thing to note here is it's impossible to see folks who are saying No on the Results form vs their answers, so the raw data could be useful.

Anywho, link is here, please fill it out guys! This form is to query you on what build you're using and how you have some things set up. Please fill it out every time you have SOD, and folks who do NOT have SOD are also encouraged to fill it out!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...aDFmcmc6MQ&ifq

And here's a summary page of the responses so far:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/view...STQwaDFmcmc6MQ

New Form!

And there's also a second form to track some answers to Widgets and Apps that sync/run all the time below. I did set the answers as No/Yes so you should just be able to click the ones you have installed/use and the rest you can just skip over and it'll default to No. Probably only fill out this second form once, as this is just to query the apps/widgets folks are running.

I am looking for feedback on additional apps, but since I have SOD on this set of "stuff" I figure it's good enough to start with. Honestly my confidence that this will be what figures out SOD is fairly low, but it should just take a few minutes, unless you're really aligned with me and have a bunch of the same stuff

Like the previous form, folks who have and have not experienced SOD are encouraged to submit their data.

Appreciate it guys, hopefully it continues to help out the CM7 gang understand why we're seeing SOD.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...YWFfTmQ5WHc6MQ

And here's the direct link to the results so far..

https://spreadsheets.google.com/view...YWFfTmQ5WHc6MQ
AT&T LG G2 - 4.3, AOKP
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.2, Stock Rooted (m-kernel)
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to khaytsus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

khaytsus
Old
(Last edited by khaytsus; 8th June 2011 at 02:52 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1010
Semi-informative form changelog for Form 1 (Build and Settings)
  • Added Nightly 83, 84. Added non-default OC kernel for folks using 1100 or such, added eMMC vs SD Install, and added SOD Yes/No so folks NOT having the issue can provide their data too
  • Added N/A to battery questions for folks NOT having SOD, added Never to frequency of SOD question for No SOD folks. Also modified existing questions to say SOD or Normal Sleep.

Semi-informative form changelog for Form 2 (Widgets and Apps)
  • TBD

boxcar8028
Old
Thanks Meter 50
thanks khaytsus, great idea. I hope this will help us all with SOD and no deep sleep

sinanju
Old
(Last edited by sinanju; 3rd June 2011 at 09:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 87
May I also suggest that people who are experiencing SODs:

1) Press the power button once to turn the device on.
2) If the screen does not turn on, DO NOT PRESS THE POWER BUTTON AGAIN... just let the device sit for a while -- at least several minutes
3) After about 5 minutes, try pressing the power button again.

There is evidence to suggest that at least some subset to of SODs are actually the device just taking an extraordinarily long time to wake -- long enough for people to assume it's dead and reboot.

Normally I can wake the device by pressing power or "n", but in my most recent apparent SOD, the power button did not wake the device, nor did the "n" button. After about 5 minutes, the power button worked. Once, it woke about 3 minutes after pressing the power button.

boxcar8028
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
May I also suggest that people who are experiencing SODs:

1) Press the power button once to turn the device on.
2) If the screen does not turn on, DO NOT PRESS THE POWER BUTTON AGAIN... just let the device sit for a while -- at least several minutes
3) After about 5 minutes, try pressing the power button again.

There is evidence to suggest that at least some subset to of SODs are actually the device just taking an extraordinarily long time to wake -- long enough for people to assume it's dead and reboot.

Normally I can wake the device by pressing power or "n", but in my most recent apparent SOD, the power button did not wake the device, nor did the "n" button. After about 5 minutes, the power button worked. Once, it woke about 3 minutes after pressing the power button.
thanks sinanju, but I have read this somewhere before to, but my nook is set to go back to sleep in one minute. so how does this work? does the back to sleep clock setting only start after a full wake. but this is still a bug. a 5 min wake up is just as bad as a true SOD

maybe we should call it "SO5MW" sleep of 5 min wake

12paq
Old
Thanks Meter 144
at the risk of cluttering a dev thread,
Hey khaytsus, nice job!
Hopefully this will help clear up sod or sod-a-like or sod assumed issues. Lol
~ a random gallery of my photographic work ~
...............___________________

.....- for Andriod and stuffs, you can follow me here
.....- for my commercial photography follow me here

Moxie3000
Old
Thanks Meter 11
A couple of things:

1. Need to add all builds that are compatible with kernel .32 like N83 and N84. I'm on N83 and I just got my first confirmed SOD.

2. Not everyone maxes out their clock with the OC kernel. I keep mellow at 1100.

Sent from my NookColor using XDA App

Awats
Old
Thanks Meter 8
You might want to accommodate those of us that aren't having the problem as another data point. I am running what I perceive as the same exact same setup as those with the problem and I don't have it.

Just a suggestion.
Nook Color running on SD
1300MHz OC
Sandisk 16GB Class 4 SD
Current CM 7.1.0 B251
Testing CM 9.0.0 20120208
HP Touchpad 16GB
Testing ICS Alpha 0.6

khaytsus
Old
(Last edited by khaytsus; 4th June 2011 at 01:39 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie3000 View Post
A couple of things:

1. Need to add all builds that are compatible with kernel .32 like N83 and N84. I'm on N83 and I just got my first confirmed SOD.

2. Not everyone maxes out their clock with the OC kernel. I keep mellow at 1100.
Added 83 and 84.. For the kernel OC I didn't want to put TOO many choices, but I've added one for OC Kernel, not-default speed. Hopefully people put it in the notes, but I have a feeling it's more around OC/not OC vs frequencies. Good info either way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awats View Post
You might want to accommodate those of us that aren't having the problem as another data point. I am running what I perceive as the same exact same setup as those with the problem and I don't have it.

Just a suggestion.
Good suggestion, only problem is that the numbers wouldn't mean much. So if I had daily SOD's (I don't, like 2-3 a week) and you never have SOD, you'd have one "No" against my 7 "Yes". However I think you're right that if you have the same config as most other people have and yet you never have SOD there's some other variable to consider. I've added a column for SOD Yes/No. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've also added a question about eMMC or SD, although I don't think it matters, but regardless it's one more thing to capture. You suggested it too, by your signature
AT&T LG G2 - 4.3, AOKP
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.2, Stock Rooted (m-kernel)
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com

angomy
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Thanks for doing this, it's interesting to read the results so far to see what people have been experiencing.

I think you were right (in an earlier post in PBD thread) and I was possibly not waiting long enough between power button presses to see if my Nook would wake up by itself -- while I was trying for several minutes, I may have been inadvertently turning it off/confusing it during an SOD by trying to hard boot it too soon after previous hard boot attempts.

My nightly 85 install isn't SODorPDBing until ~20% so it'll be a while till I can add information to your OP, I'm afraid. (at 89% now).
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Moto G 16GB US GSM