Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,016 Members 50,248 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung USB drivers that are confirmed to work with ODIN?

Tip us?

jdmbaldwin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Samsung USB drivers that are confirmed to work with ODIN?

I'm having a problem getting my new Charge to connect to my computer in Download mode. It hooks in just fine when the phone is powered up, but of course I can't use ODIN and root my phone without it... and an unrootable phone is pretty much cause for return to sender, as far as I'm concerned. I've searched the forums and downloaded the same drivers at least four times (and several other sets that were probably the same ones), and every time, I get the same problem: no driver found for the "Gadget Serial" device that the computer detects. I heard ODIN was finicky (though that's not where the problem is, since Windows doesn't know what to do with the hardware), so I switched USB ports, and USB cables... no love.

So: has anybody had the same problem, with their Charge stubbornly refusing to connect in Download mode? Where did you find the drivers that worked? Links would be highly appreciated, as I spent about two hours searching both the forums and the interwebs to no good use yesterday. (Yes, I do understand basic forum etiquette and I really have searched, but can't find any drivers that fix the problem for me.)

Thanks in advance!

distortedloop
Old
Thanks Meter 262
I just went through this myself the last couple of days.

Turn OFF USB Debugging. Plug the phone into your PC via USB. A "cd-rom" named Verizon should pop up in your drive list. There's four or five filess in there. Run the one to install the drivers. Once that's finished, you can turn off the phone, then boot it into download mode (I assume you know how) and Odin will recognize the phone at that point. The "cd-rom" drive would not pop open for me while USB Debugging was turned on, so I missed it.

Actually Odin 1.3 didn't see the phone for me, but Odin 1.83 did. I've read 1.7 works as well.
Wiping battery stats has the same influence over battery life as waving a dead chicken over your phone does; none, per Google.
If your sig takes up more screen real estate than most of your posts, maybe you should trim it a bit...
The Following User Says Thank You to distortedloop For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdmbaldwin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Talking Fixed!

Gah--I'd gotten way ahead of myself. After trolling the forums extensively, I'd downloaded drivers before ever plugging the phone in. Once I *uninstalled* those drivers, the Verizon CD drive showed up. Prior to that, I had a CD drive appear, but not one that my computer could read data off of.

Thanks a zillion for the help. My computer is now happily recognizing the Charge in Download mode, and Odin 1.3 is seeing it, too. Now, to root!
Tags
drivers, usb