5,599,478 Members 39,373 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[INFO] Asus Transformer Minor Teardown

Tip us?

hybridau
Old
(Last edited by hybridau; 5th June 2011 at 12:23 AM.) Reason: Left Hand Side Speaker Pic added
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Default [INFO] Asus Transformer Minor Teardown

Well today I thought I'd see what could be done about a light bleed spot that was annoying me. There are a couple of light bleed spots (seems pratically evident to some degree on all IPS screen devices). Anyway I did a minor disassemble as a result.

Result: Impossible to get rid of completely, its just an unfortunate trade off. I did manage to make it less intense and under normal light conditions and 60% brightness you can not really notice it now. p.s. there is nothing to "losen" the screen. It is not screwed down by the edges.

Anyway since it was apart I took some pics so you can see what is inside the beast

WARNING: The bezel is VERY fragile, so be warned. I used a guitar pick to remove it VERY carefully. After the bezel is off its easy sailing to remove the back cover. /warning

Enjoy.

LHS Speaker (CRAP!!!)
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to hybridau For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stuntdouble
Old
Thanks Meter 532

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for this. I've been umming and ahhing about doing it myself, just to see whats in there. Now I dont have to. Added to ultimate thread as well. Nice job.

Phone:
Motorola Moto G + Samsung Galaxy W ... Tablet: Google Nexus 7 (16gb)
Retired Devices: |HTC HD2| Asus Eee Pad Transformer |HTC Touch HD |O2 Stellar |HTC Hero |XDA Atom Life | XDA 2i

**(TF101 Firmware Changelog)_(Ultimate Transformer Thread)_(Boot Animations Guide)**

hybridau
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Your welcome

stuntdouble
Old
Thanks Meter 532

DONATE TO ME
Just got a couple questions if I may. In order to lift off the back plastic casing, was it just held down by those 2 torx screws at the bottom by the 40pin connector socket, and did it just lift off easily, or were there clips holding it down? Oh and were there any labels/security stickers that would invalidate a warranty that you saw when it was open please, as I cant see any in the pics?

Phone:
Retired Devices: |HTC HD2| Asus Eee Pad Transformer |HTC Touch HD |O2 Stellar |HTC Hero |XDA Atom Life | XDA 2i

**(TF101 Firmware Changelog)_(Ultimate Transformer Thread)_(Boot Animations Guide)**

hybridau
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntdouble View Post
Just got a couple questions if I may. In order to lift off the back plastic casing, was it just held down by those 2 torx screws at the bottom by the 40pin connector socket, and did it just lift off easily, or were there clips holding it down? Oh and were there any labels/security stickers that would invalidate a warranty that you saw when it was open please, as I cant see any in the pics?
Hi stuntdouble,

Two torx screws have to come off first, these are part of what holds the bezel down.

After that you need to use a guitar pick from the back to lift the bezel up...best to get all 4 corners up and keep sliding..as soon as it wont slide lift it out and back in again a bit further on... it absolutely destroyed the pick by the way..lots of sharp edges in there.

The bezel will then come off from the front of the tablet. Just be careful and dont force it, Around the 40 pin connector was the biggest pain.

The back cover is held down by 4 screws on the top glass, and umm if I recall about 10 screws behind where the bezel . It basically then falls off once all screws are off with not to much effort.

There are also no security stickers over any of the screws anywhere inside the tablet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hybridau For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stuntdouble
Old
Thanks Meter 532

DONATE TO ME
Excellent thx a lot. Will have a fiddle inside mine one of these days then.

Phone:

mike5065
Old
Thanks Meter 10
What did you do, specifically, to fix bleed? Were some screws too tight, too loose, did you move stuff around...?

Thanks for the pics.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

hybridau
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5065 View Post
What did you do, specifically, to fix bleed? Were some screws too tight, too loose, did you move stuff around...?

Thanks for the pics.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App
I tried to lift the screen a bit where the bleed was. when i did that it went away a bit. I then cut and jammed small bits of black foam under it. it worked ok enough but not to get rid of it totally.

There are no screws holding it down. well not onthe edges anyway. You would have to dig deeper to find out the direct cause. I did not want to do this as it means components being removed.

RavenMad
Old
Thanks Meter 42
I appear to have a small bit of hair or fibre trapped under the glass - it's visible when the screen is off - do you think doing a tear down like you did would give me access to blow it off or is the screen still secured?

rehash
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for doing this, gives me an idea of how well its made.