5,598,820 Members 33,531 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Purchased a Sprint EVO 4G w/ Gingerbread 2.3 and Cyanagen Mod 7.03 - can i activate?

Tip us?

bluearchtop
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Purchased a Sprint EVO 4G w/ Gingerbread 2.3 and Cyanagen Mod 7.03 - can i activate?

Hi Guys I just bought a Spring Evo 4G that has Gingerbread 2.3 and Cyanagen Mod 7.03. Will I be able to activate this w/ Sprint? The seller says it is a clean ESN. Or will I have to restore this (how?) to activate it?
Thanks for the help!!

Maximilian Mary
Old
Thanks Meter 288

DONATE TO ME
As long as the esn is clean, you should be fine. The things needed to activate a phone on your account are the imei, min, mdn, etc. These are independent of the rom. Since the imei is already in Sprint's system, you might even be able to do it yourself (though perhaps not a good idea if you have the insurance).

bluearchtop
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I thought so too, although the seller told me I would have to flash to stock rom...

Maximilian Mary
Old
(Last edited by Maximilian Mary; 6th June 2011 at 07:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 288

DONATE TO ME
Something else just occurred to me. If you take the phone to a Sprint store to activate it, I can imagine the rep being less than enthusiastic about programming a phone with non-standard software. For that matter, I'm not certain that cyanogen includes the programming menu required to edit these codes for activation. I'll update when I learn more.

Edit: The epst app which does the phone programming is not compatible with cm7, as far as I can tell. So he's right. You will have to revert to stock to activate it.

KyleBryant
Old
Thanks Meter 7
When I first bought my hero it was using cyanogenmod, I had to flash back to the original rom to be able to activate it.

plainjane
Old
Thanks Meter 461
Just make a nandroid backup & flash the stock rooted rom. After activation you can just restore from your nandroid backup or flash another rom.
I'd suggest the odexed version of stock. If you're taking it in, go ahead and flash the latest update that came out yesterday so they don't try to update it for you.

(from... Evo/MIUI/Tapatalk)
HTC Supersonic (EVO 4G)
HW 003
Hboot 2.02 S-Off
Amon Ra recovery
More stuff that I'm too lazy to figure out and type.
MIUI 2.3.2_b1 ES (by Swiperat)
Extended Settings Mod
Tiamat 4.1.0 SBC

My wallpaper collection
GTalk: ohhhgeez@gmail.com

If you think I can help you with something or need me to elaborate on a post then feel free to pm me. I'll try my best to help you out.

Oh, and I have a vagina. Fear me :P

bluenadas
Old
Thanks Meter 70

DONATE TO ME
Like was said....simple nandroid the current setup and flash the latest OTA-Rooted update.

Once you get it set up the simply nandroid the stock ROM (Just in case) and restore to the CM7 setup.