Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 40,245 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The All-In-One GalaxyS Hack Pack

Tip us?

AdamOutler
Old
(Last edited by AdamOutler; 21st January 2012 at 08:50 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9,623

DONATE TO ME
Default The All-In-One GalaxyS Hack Pack

Background:
Since I'm a ROM developer, and I've recommended using ODIN3 in the past, I feel obligated to help unbrick phones. Investigation of unbricking methods for Galaxy S phones involve a lot of hacking since documentation is not available on the Samsung Galaxy S line of phones.

Myself and others have been doing some work on trying to revive bricked phones...
Ever tried JTAG unbrick recovery?--superhuman soldering skills no longer required for JTAG
Developing methods to recover bricks without JTAG - I keep this updated with current information as it develops.
ALL JIG VALUES here! --this will give you some resistor values to try
Altered water damage indicators --um... just in case you lick your battery and need warranty replacement
Galaxy S UART JIG & Debugging Connector--the hardware required for UART communications
Lets save some bricks...--Detailed hardware and software hacking in an attempt to bring gt-i9000s back to life, this is where the real hardware/software hacking is going on.
We'd appreciate more help in these threads....

Introduction:
However, you are here looking for the GalaxyS Hack Pack. During the last few months I've been collecting software and resources. This package contains everything known to help with research, investigation, security and hacking on GalaxyS phones and the Android platform. I'm not helping you root your phone, nor providing market applications. This package is not intended for new users. You are expected to be an advanced user capable of reading.

Warning:
This package contains binaries capable of bricking your phone. I have not yet mastered all of them.

Included in the package:
Android binaries go in /system/bin
bash 4.1- the best scriptable shell ever
i2cdetect - tool for i2c communications
i2cdump-dumps data from i2c
i2cget -requests data from i2c
i2cset -sends data to i2c
tcpdump-view inbound and outbound communications packets
viewmem-view memory at any location in the phone
Windows Software
AttachHeader - used for attaching a header for USB boot over OTG line.
hypertermina - sets up hyperterminal on Windows Vista and higher computers
moviNAND_Fusing_Tool & 512K-boot prepares an MMC card for booting
windows-dltool -allows terminal comms and transfers files over UART for booting
Useful Reading Material
GalaxyS i9000 service manuals- Contains 14 different levels of service manuals for GT-I9000 and are 90% valid for all SGS devices
ODROID-7 -technical manual for the development platform for our phones.. Someone translate please
Datasheets
FSA928-A_88A_full - USB Switch chip which responds to resistors and routes communications around the phone
S5PC110_EVT1_UM10 - The processor which drives our phones, the datasheet is 2400 pages long and contains alot of useful information
Disassembled binaries
bootdumps - disassembled and annotated IROM and PBL
Arduino Code
SerialConnector - Allows for UART communications with the Android Open Accessory Platform/Arduino Mega.
JTAG
Various items - Generic reading material collected about JTAG on a GalaxyS phone
Phone Speciffic
Various items - Images and documentation on specific models of phones.

Download GalaxyS Hack Pack v2

Please note, a very small amount of the files included in the hack pack are my original work. They have mostly been collected over months of searching. I am providing this as a resource for those wanting information on our devices. Over time this file will grow larger. I will continue to update and maintain this compilation.

Additional Resources:
Heimdall: An Open-Source replacement for Odin http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=755265
Heimdall One-Click: A repackagable one-click software uploading method http://oneclick.adamoutler.com
One-Click UnBrick: A piece of software which removes the bootlocks that cause Phone--/!\--PC http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1153310
UnBrickable Mod: This is a hardware modifiction that allows upload of custom firmware including uploading Download Mode to a dead device: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1236273
ModeDetect for Linux: This piece of software will let you know what mode your device is currenly in, regardless of what is on-screen: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1257434
Using internal UART for debugging: This utilizes an external adapter to hook to UART inside the device to show what is happening on the System-On-a-Chip http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1235219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhundven View Post
I've also just found these links to also be very helpful:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1209288
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=13473163 (By: UberPinguin)

Please post anything you feel should be included in this distribution.
Credits:
TheBeano - compiled i2c libraries
Samsung - GT-I9000 manuals/software
???? - shoot me a PM or post here to be added to this list.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
Check out my developer pages. Add me to your circles on Google Plus.
Wanna see the longest Linux BASH script ever made? click here.
The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crystalhand
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Looks awesome man thanks for all your hard work for the community!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

sepherian
Old
Thanks Meter 292

DONATE TO ME
Sweet! Can't wait to see what it leads to!
(being the brickaphobic i am.)

Rebellos
Old
(Last edited by Rebellos; 7th June 2011 at 01:02 PM.) Reason: Edited, mispelled addr
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,425

DONATE TO ME
I just realized that s5pc110 manual seems to be... incomplete.
There is no info about LCD FIMD and MDNIE controllers, which are most likely inside of there, or are at least mapped somehow in CPU, their SFRs arent even mentioned in manual, but are present and used in SBL and files in kernel/driver/video/samsung/ of kernel src (just try to find 0xF8200000 or0xFAE00000 for example in the cpu manual).
Probably docs about that can be called S3CFB documentation or something like that (so is called the driver)
If you have got any closer info about it - I'd be glad to see it. Im analyzing screen init sequence but it isnt fully possible without docs. :/

AdamOutler
Old
Thanks Meter 9,623

DONATE TO ME
Updated. Added pictures of internals and other information.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chrisrotolo
Old
Thanks Meter 453

DONATE TO ME
thanks so much for sharing! genius, you are brilliant!

this is a new level of hacking and freedom. just be careful

can wait to see what this brings for new tools, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisrotolo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rabiny
Old
Thanks Meter 6
mega thanks man =D
The Following User Says Thank You to rabiny For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lockzackary
Old
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
now that there is galaxy s2 abundance
i'm really thankful for the support we could still find on xda regarding our precious i9000

thanks a lot for this hard work
Jesus Loves You

palito1980
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Will it be available for Galaxy Ace?

AdamOutler
Old
Thanks Meter 9,623

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by palito1980 View Post
Will it be available for Galaxy Ace?
I have not come across anything for the Ace. If youd like to contribute, Ill add it.