Help! Did I brick my TF within an hour of getting it ?!?! :(

OP timekillerj

7th June 2011, 10:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 15

63 posts
I just got my transformer, and tried upgrading to 3.1 (official, not primordial). I downloaded EP101_SDUPDATE.zip, put it on the tablet, rebooted into recovery etc. On reboot, it's not getting past the EEE pad ASUS screen. If I hold the power, it powers off and comes right back on. If I hold the down volume, it gives me the RCK option, but after I hit vol up it gets stuck on "Booting recovery kernel image". If I wait and choose the wipe option I get Magic value mismatch and some garbage after.

I tried adb, but it doesn't show any devices attached. Plugging in the usb, windows doesn't even indicate a device has been attached

Is there anything I can do? Please don't tell me I've already bricked this thing ...
7th June 2011, 10:23 PM   |  #2  
Flag Arlington, tx
Thanks Meter: 11

287 posts
More
do you have a microsd card in the slot.... or did u try to instal taht update directly from the transformer harddrive ie.. /mnt/sdcard/
7th June 2011, 10:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

63 posts
I installed from internal memory (/sdcard), but I also have a micro sd card if needed.
7th June 2011, 11:03 PM   |  #4  
Flag Sugar Land TX
Thanks Meter: 1,716

6,694 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekillerj

I installed from internal memory (/sdcard), but I also have a micro sd card if needed.

The update file need to be on the REMOVABLE micro sd card.
7th June 2011, 11:09 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

63 posts
Ok, I may have had the micro sd card in at the time, the first doc I read said to copy the update zip to internal memory, so I used the micro sd to copy it there. That doesn't really help me with my current situation though. I have the micro sd in, but trying to enter RCK hangs on "Booting recovery kernel image" and goes no further. After more testing and reading I found I can enter the nvflash mode (vol up + power), but that doesn't seem to get me any closer to unbricking this thing.

Anyone ? starting to get worried I'm screwed here.
7th June 2011, 11:24 PM   |  #6  
Flag Davis, CA
Thanks Meter: 118

1,989 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekillerj

Ok, I may have had the micro sd card in at the time, the first doc I read said to copy the update zip to internal memory, so I used the micro sd to copy it there. That doesn't really help me with my current situation though. I have the micro sd in, but trying to enter RCK hangs on "Booting recovery kernel image" and goes no further. After more testing and reading I found I can enter the nvflash mode (vol up + power), but that doesn't seem to get me any closer to unbricking this thing.

Anyone ? starting to get worried I'm screwed here.

If you cannot fix it, simply exchange it.
7th June 2011, 11:52 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 6

144 posts
take that zip file and put it on the root (top directory) of your sd card then do the power plus down volume then up volume and it should upgrade to 3.1
8th June 2011, 12:18 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 5

67 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppilee

take that zip file and put it on the root (top directory) of your sd card then do the power plus down volume then up volume and it should upgrade to 3.1

Do what he said.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App
8th June 2011, 12:30 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 30

230 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppilee

no reason this shouldnt work...
8th June 2011, 12:50 AM   |  #10  
OP Member

63 posts
Except that it doesn't work. As I said in my initial post, if I try to flash now, I get to the "Booting recovery kernel image" and it gets stuck there

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread