Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,836 Members 41,611 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nook Touch Root Guide is OUT.

Tip us?

mattrb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Default Nook Touch Root Guide is OUT.

Link.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattrb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Masterface7
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrb View Post

Link.
Hmm I guess this means i am going to be running by barnes and noble to buy one on the way home from work today. It is really too bad they saw this coming and didn't put 3g in it.
Device: Nexus 5
ROM: The one with Android 4.x

Hahutzy
Old
(Last edited by Hahutzy; 8th June 2011 at 07:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Is there no Nook Simple Touch forum yet?

case-sensitive
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterface7 View Post
Hmm I guess this means i am going to be running by barnes and noble to buy one on the way home from work today. It is really too bad they saw this coming and didn't put 3g in it.
If you (or anyone) do get a NookTouch and root it, I'd be most appreciative if you could share you experience regarding several points:

(1) pdf -- zooming and landscape (NookTouch does not have multitouch; can we at least use the "+/-" zoom buttons in the free acrobat pdf reader? -- assuming that we can sideload apps!)

(2) can we install an alternate launcher? (e.g. zeam)

(3) can we access (google) calendar/contact/gmail?

(4) connectbot? terminal emulator?

(5) kindle/aldiko/etc?

(6) battery life?

Thanks!

adityahbk
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by case-sensitive View Post
If you (or anyone) do get a NookTouch and root it, I'd be most appreciative if you could share you experience regarding several points:

(1) pdf -- zooming and landscape (NookTouch does not have multitouch; can we at least use the "+/-" zoom buttons in the free acrobat pdf reader? -- assuming that we can sideload apps!)

(2) can we install an alternate launcher? (e.g. zeam)

(3) can we access (google) calendar/contact/gmail?

(4) connectbot? terminal emulator?

(5) kindle/aldiko/etc?

(6) battery life?

Thanks!
all except 6 can be possible, thought 6 is possible but if you are ready to give up performance then you can use setcpu which requires root.

case-sensitive
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityahbk View Post
all except 6 can be possible, thought 6 is possible but if you are ready to give up performance then you can use setcpu which requires root.
I agree/believe that the first five bullet points I raised are possible; what I'm interested in is the *experience* -- e.g. is it realistic to use a rooted NookTouch to sideload the acrobat reader to read a 20 page science paper in pdf with equations *comfortably* (the latter would likely mean reading in the landscape mode).

As for item #6: this entire thread is about rooted device :) My question is whether using the rooted NookTouch to run regular (not flash) apps like acrobat reader/aldido/brower would kill the battery (e-ink uses energy only when it reflashes, but if you have to scroll your pdf file/webpage frequently then this might still be an issue...).

kimgkimg
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is sideloading the only option for loading apps onto the rooted Touch, or is it possible to get apps on there via an app store?

Nburnes
Old
Thanks Meter 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimgkimg View Post
Is sideloading the only option for loading apps onto the rooted Touch, or is it possible to get apps on there via an app store?
I'm sure something will be worked out. Give it time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nburnes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pbcal
Old
Thanks Meter 36

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimgkimg View Post
If we can sideload Ammazon Market it should let you download app. I will try it tonight.

Once we have Adb working possibilities are endless.

deeper-blue
Old
Thanks Meter 583
I should get one, I'm pretty sure one can cook up a modified CM7 for this easily.

The Following User Says Thank You to deeper-blue For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
nook touch, root