5,598,718 Members 38,470 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Microsoft Shutting down Marketplace for Mobile & My Phone SVC

Tip us?

SH4YD33
Old
(Last edited by SH4YD33; 13th June 2011 at 05:31 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Thumbs down Microsoft Shutting down Marketplace for Mobile & My Phone SVC

Just recieved an email:

Shut-down of Windows Marketplace for Mobile Web Site and My Phone Service Notification

June 8, 2011
Dear Windows Mobile 6.x customer:

Microsoft will be discontinuing the My Phone service for Windows Mobile 6.x. We will also be discontinuing the Windows Marketplace for Mobile web site. Because you may be affected, please review the details below:

Windows Marketplace for Mobile Web Site To Be Discontinued

The Windows Marketplace for Mobile web site at http://marketplace.windowsphone.com will no longer be available starting on July 15, 2011. After July 15, 2011, you will no longer be able to browse, buy or download applications for Windows Mobile 6.x phones via the Windows Marketplace for Mobile web site.

The Windows Marketplace for Mobile service will continue to be available on your phone, however. You will continue to be able to browse, buy and download applications for Windows Mobile 6.x on your phone.

My Phone To Be Discontinued

On August 7, 2011, the My Phone service will stop saving content from phones to the My Phone service. If you rely on the My Phone service to back-up the content on your Windows Mobile 6.x phone, you will be affected.

Starting on August 7, 2011, Microsoft will begin moving your My Phone content to Windows Live SkyDrive. SkyDrive is Microsoft's free online storage service that helps you access and share your files such as photos and Microsoft Office documents. Contacts, calendar entries, text messages and photos will be moved to SkyDrive for you. Once moved, you will be able to access this content by logging into SkyDrive using the Windows Live ID that you used to register for the My Phone service.

Other content types, including videos, music, documents and favorites will not be moved from My Phone to SkyDrive for you. If you want this content, you must save it from the My Phone service to your local PC.

On October 6, 2011, the My Phone web site at http://www.microsoft.com/myphone will no longer be available. On this date, you will no longer be able to log in to the My Phone service to access your content stored to the My Phone service. Microsoft will continue to store your My Phone content for one (1) year. Physical copies of your content can be shipped to you upon request until October 5, 2012.

Take Action

To learn more about the My Phone service shut-down, including information about your content moving to Windows Live SkyDrive and how to save other content to your local PC, please visit this web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2557520

Microsoft is committed to making this transition easy. In the meantime, we want to sincerely thank you for your use of Windows Mobile 6.x.

-The Windows Phone Team

DavidTiger
Old
Thanks Meter 39

DONATE TO ME
Got the same email a moment ago...

I never really used it that much but its pretty crappy that their shutting it down
Phone: Sony Xperia S - Unlocked Bootloader
ROM: SlimBean 4.2.2 Weekly.6.5
Kernel: SlimBean Kernel

xaccers
Old
Thanks Meter 408
they're transferring it to a new system, not shutting it down.
You'll still be able to access marketplace, and you'll still be able to back up your contacts etc.

Probably posted while on the loo

"Many phenomena wars, plagues, sudden audits have been advanced as evidence for the hidden hand of Satan in the affairs of man, but whenever students of demonology get together the M25 London orbital motorway is generally agreed to be among the top contenders for exhibit A."

prabhat
Old
Thanks Meter 156

DONATE TO ME
If I see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2557520 I dont see any hint where similar service will be provided to backup contacts and SMS etc for WinMo 6.x.

I feel all users depended on Microsoft My Phone Service should now migrate to some other free service

Thanks.
HTC Touch Diamond2 T5353
ROM: Photon ROM 6.5 - The Power of Productivity.
HSPL: OliNex HardSPL 2.51 | Radio: 4.49.25.91.

If you feel my work is worth a donation, please DONATE.

goody1926
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default My Phone-Locate lost phone

I wonder what happens to the Locate My Phone feature? I have the free service.

bobzero
Old
Thanks Meter 148
Annoyed by this. Will resort to SPB backup.

Farmer Ted
Old
Thanks Meter 88
I won't miss either of them. Marketplace is a joke, anyway, and there are much better solutions for backing up.
ROM: Retro ROM
Radio: 1.17.25.09

prabhat
Old
Thanks Meter 156

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
I won't miss either of them. Marketplace is a joke, anyway, and there are much better solutions for backing up.
I agree for Marketplace .
Can you suggest alternate for My Phone using online/cloud based solutions?

Thanks.
HTC Touch Diamond2 T5353
ROM: Photon ROM 6.5 - The Power of Productivity.
HSPL: OliNex HardSPL 2.51 | Radio: 4.49.25.91.

If you feel my work is worth a donation, please DONATE.

trueg
Old
Thanks Meter 44
The Marketplace is a joke, but I heavily depend on the My Phone service.

I would be shocked if they created a Windows Mobile 6.x app for synchronizing with the new Windows Live Skydrive system.

TrueG

orb3000
Old
XDA News Writer / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 3010
Location: T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...

DONATE TO ME
Same email here, well sad day for WM...
WP does not have a service like this at the time...
orb

HTC One Max - HTC Butterfly S - HTC Universal

XDA is about developing and is for developers. Any user that recognises that will gain the most benefit from this site

This is and always will be a site for developers, pure and simple. Without them we are nothing, without them there would be no reason for XDA Developers to exist; we should never ever forget that. Without them this place would not be called XDA-Developers but something else, e.g Mobile Phone User Support Services For Ungrateful Nerds.

Previous devices: HTC: Treo 650 - Excalibur - Diamond - Diamond 2 - Maple - HD2 - Rhodium - Desire Z - Desire HD - Vivid - Sensation - One V - One X - Titan II - One X+ - DNA - Butterfly