Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,879 Members 43,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][RELEASE!] Best Wishes - Automate Birthday Wishes to Facebook

Tip us?

ethridgt
Old
(Last edited by ethridgt; 6th July 2011 at 09:19 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [APP][RELEASE!] Best Wishes - Automate Birthday Wishes to Facebook

I'm the developer of "Best Wishes". It is an application that will pull down your list of friends from Facebook along with their birthdays. It neatly organizes the birthdays into an intelligent list. Once your friends are loaded you can configure Best Wishes to post notifications when birthdays occur. You can put a widget on your desktop to see upcoming birthdays too.

The real reason I developed the app was to automate birthday wishes. I don't visit Facebook very often, so I wanted a way to automate birthday wishes. The automation is very customizable. You can configure a time range for it to post. The app will randomly pick a time within the range. It comes with 10 "canned" birthday wishes. You can edit these "canned" wishes or add your own. You can select the ones you want and it will pick from them randomly. You can specify custom wishes for your close friends. Plus it is easy to exclude or include which friends you want to send automated messages.

Of course, not all friends put their birthday info on Facebook and some have their permissions set so that 3rd party apps can't access the birthday information. For these cases I've added manual entry so you can use Best Wishes for all your friends.

Check it out and let me know what you guys think. I'm open to feedback and feature suggestions. The full version costs $0.99. The Lite version is free.

https://market.android.com/details?i...ned.bestwishes

MOD EDIT: FREE VERSION CAN BE FOUND HERE
https://market.android.com/details?i...bestwisheslite

The main difference between the lite and full version is the level of customization that you can perform. The full version allows you to enter custom birthday wishes, include/exclude friends, and it has ten pre-defined birthday wishes that are editable. The lite version only has one birthday wish ("Happy Birthday!"). The rest of the functionality is the same.

Thanks!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ethridgt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Newklearx3
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Against the rules to have paid apps up without a free version or trial. Better fix that before you get reported.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App
The Following User Says Thank You to Newklearx3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ethridgt
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I didn't realize that was a rule. I'll put up a free version to go with this when I get home tonight.

Newklearx3
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethridgt View Post
I didn't realize that was a rule. I'll put up a free version to go with this when I get home tonight.
Cool, just looking out for you.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App
The Following User Says Thank You to Newklearx3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ethridgt
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I added the free version. Let me know what you think.

lvlolvlo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Cool application, I purchased it from the marketplace. Works well on my phone, but craps out hard on my tablet. Just a heads up. I sent the crash report in, if it's any use.

Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to lvlolvlo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

d0lph1nK1ng
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Great app! So much more useful than Facebook for birthdays. Love all of the customization in the paid version!
The Following User Says Thank You to d0lph1nK1ng For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djeaton
Old
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
I love the idea, but have a question. Often when I use an app to post to facebook, there is a little tag line that says it was posted via a particular program. Is this going to do something like "Happy Birthday, Phil" "automatically posted by Best Wishes"? I love the idea of automatic posts, but don't like the idea of them knowing that it was some automatic process and not personal.
Palm -> Blackberry -> Windows Mobile -> iOS -> Android
Rooted Galaxy S 4 running CM 10.1
Asus Nexus 7 (gen 2)
Samasung Galaxy Tab 2 7"
Chromecast
MK808B Android Stick
Rooted Nook Touch w/Glowlight
The Following User Says Thank You to djeaton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djeaton
Old
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
I have a couple of quick suggestions. First, can you ad an option to search and/or sort the list of people by date so that you don't have to scroll through hundreds of names to find the right person? Second, I see canned messages containing the person's first name. Can you add an option to replace the person's Facebook name with something else? Third, how about including their age, if known, in a greeting?

For example, I have a friend "Worker Bee" and I'd love the canned message to say "Happy 50th Birthday, Brian!" and I'd like to be able to find him in the list by searching on "Brian" *or* "Worker Bee" and see the list sorted by first name, last name, or birth date. Make sense?
Palm -> Blackberry -> Windows Mobile -> iOS -> Android
Rooted Galaxy S 4 running CM 10.1
Asus Nexus 7 (gen 2)
Samasung Galaxy Tab 2 7"
Chromecast
MK808B Android Stick
Rooted Nook Touch w/Glowlight
The Following User Says Thank You to djeaton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ethridgt
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Yes, it will say "post by Best Wishes" at the bottom of your post. I didn't like that either when I first realized that. Facebook does that for accountability reasons. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to know if you posted it or some third party application posted it. There isn't any way to remove that message.

I don't see it as a problem though. I made sure that Best Wishes has the capability to just remind you and then make it easy to post from within Best Wishes. If you click on the person it will take you directly to their profile page. If you have the Facebook app installed it will take you to their page in the Facebook app. If you don't have it installed it will take you to their page via the browser. From their you can post your birthday wish.

The privacy constraints can be a pain, but I guess they are there because enough people requested them.