[APP][4.0+][v2.0.11] BubbleUPnP - UPnP/DLNA/Chromecast Control Point and Renderer

OP bubbleguuum

10th June 2011, 09:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,407

3,348 posts
BubbleUPnP on Google Play [current version: 2.0.11, released on Oct 22th 2014] (Opt-in to receive betas through Google Play)
BubbleUPnP 1.8.6 APK (last version to run on Android 2.x)
BubbleUPnP Server home page (download and documentation) [current version: 0.8.3, released on Jul 27th 2014]
Google+ page

Stream all your music, videos and photos to various devices in your house:
  • Chromecast
  • DLNA TVs
  • gaming consoles: Xbox 360, PS3 (from XMB)
  • UPnP/DLNA renderers: XBMC, WDTV Live, Windows Media Player, other Android devices, ...
  • various HiFi gear from Sonos, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo and many more
  • local Android playback

BubbleUPnP can access your media from a lot of sources, including:
  • UPnP/DLNA media servers: most NASes, XBMC, Plex, Twonky, Serviio, Windows Media Player and many more
  • local media stored on your Android device
  • cloud media: Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, Google Music, Google+
  • media from other apps such as web browsers and file managers, using Share/Send
  • captured audio from most other apps. Requires Xposed (root)
  • Shoutcast radio (with XiiaLive)

BubbleUPnP is a versatile app packed with many features for you to discover, some of which are:
  • extensive Chromecast support: play incompatible Chromecast media with transcoding (*), subtitles, audio/video track selection (*)
  • fast and secure Internet access to your home media while on the go, from mobile and WiFi networks (*)
  • playback queue, editable playlists, scrobbling, sleep timer, various shuffle modes
  • integrated full screen image viewer and controller
  • media download to your SD Card
  • ...and much more!

(*) Some features are provided by BubbleUPnP Server, an optional software that can be installed on any machine on your local network to provide additional services. To learn more about BubbleUPnP Server, visit http://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver.

Some features are restricted and can be unlocked by purchasing the BubbleUPnP License app.

If something is not working, you can record a log file and mail it to me at bubbleguuum@free.fr:
  • launch the app
  • go into the Advanced Settings page (Menu > Settings > Control)
  • check "Enable logging to file".
  • IMPORTANT: Exit the app using the "Exit " menu item found in menu of tab "Now Playing"
  • restart the app.
  • run the app until the problem appears
  • exit the app
  • connect your phone to your PC or MAC and mail me the file /Android/data/com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp/log.txt found on the (internal) SD Card. Alternatively you can browse to the file with ES File Explorer (or another file manager) and email it from there
Last edited by bubbleguuum; 22nd October 2014 at 01:15 PM.
The Following 170 Users Say Thank You to bubbleguuum For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2011, 07:16 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 71

336 posts
Looks like an awesome app - all the features I want... BUT it is not currently recognizing my Synology NAS (upnp/dlna). Win 7 media player works great.

EDIT - Sorry it did eventually show up. It would be nice to have some asynchronous loading notifications. Also, if I queue up an entire genre, for example, it takes a looong time to load/start playing (thousands of songs). Otherwise looking good.
Last edited by radeon_x; 15th June 2011 at 07:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to radeon_x For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2011, 08:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

3,348 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeon_x

Looks like an awesome app - all the features I want... BUT it is not currently recognizing my Synology NAS (upnp/dlna). Win 7 media player works great.

EDIT - Sorry it did eventually show up. It would be nice to have some asynchronous loading notifications. Also, if I queue up an entire genre, for example, it takes a looong time to load/start playing (thousands of songs). Otherwise looking good.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll think again about async loading notifications (I suppose you mean loading of folders here), but I do not like the additional clutter they involve.

For the second point, the playlist is not designed to handle thousands of tracks. What what your exact use case ? Doing shuffle on an entire genre ?

--------

I updated the first post with an Android Market link to install the app.
16th June 2011, 04:56 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 71

336 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleguuum

For the second point, the playlist is not designed to handle thousands of tracks. What what your exact use case ? Doing shuffle on an entire genre ?

Yeah, exactly. But after using it for a while, I don't mind the delay all that much since it only happens on the initial adding the songs to the playlist. Once the songs are added there are no slowdowns.

No other complaints really - hands down the best functioning and looking UPnP audio player on the market.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radeon_x For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th June 2011, 05:36 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
excellent app, works great with PS3MediaServer

minor issues:
reports search as not supported but I guess that's a PS3MediaServer problem?
doesn't show any album art
I have a DLNA TV (LG_42LD790) but it doesn't show up as a renderer, only local renderer available

how much are you going to charge for the unlocker?
18th June 2011, 08:07 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

3,348 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonengland

excellent app, works great with PS3MediaServer

minor issues:
reports search as not supported but I guess that's a PS3MediaServer problem?

Yes, it doesn't support searching at all.
I tried PS3MediaServer and it is not the best server you can find for audio (only folder browsing, no search, some bugs in returned data).
I found 2 bugs in less than 1h usage

Quote:

doesn't show any album art

It likely doesn't expose any album art to the app.

Quote:

I have a DLNA TV (LG_42LD790) but it doesn't show up as a renderer, only local renderer available

Most DLNA TV are not remotely controllable to push content. You can just browse from their interface to play content.

Quote:

how much are you going to charge for the unlocker?

Undecided yet but it won't break the bank .
25th June 2011, 12:11 PM   |  #7  

2 posts
Correction: album art is working ok with ps3mediaserver, think I must have been playing tracks without art, doh!
27th June 2011, 01:05 AM   |  #8  
Flag urandom
Thanks Meter: 138

1,679 posts
More
1: has the potential of being better than upnplay (although the latter is free & ad-free)
2: needs a landscape mode (or use system/sensor detection)
3: exit on back key press
4: ability to add WAN server
5: use built-in player (like you already do for music types) for divx+mp3,x264+aac,mpeg2 files (detect via 4cc and/or extension - avi,divx,mkv,mp4,mpg,mpeg,vob,m2v)
open external player for other file types (mov/qt/rm/ac3); the system, hardware renderer should be able to decode most of the aforementioned files, thus eliminating the need for an additional app expressedly for that purpose (vplayer/mobo etc)
This COULD give you an edge over the other upnp/dlna solutions, since none of them provide this functionality (yet).
Last edited by adwinp; 27th June 2011 at 01:36 AM.
27th June 2011, 02:02 PM   |  #9  

39 posts
More
My Setup: Twonky Media Server and WD TV Live as Renderer!

This setup works fine with other apps, also on iOS...

BubbleUPNP looks really good, BUT:
- the timeline / song progress bar (dont know how you call it) doesn't work (even if use the setting 'use other...')!
-> so as a result, the next song in the playlist doesnt play

So by now, the app is useless. Would like to use yours, all the others work, but yours seems more smooth and has a better usability.

Looking forward to some updates!

Would def. pay for this if the issue gets fixed!
27th June 2011, 02:48 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

3,348 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwinp

1: has the potential of being better than upnplay (although the latter is free & ad-free)
2: needs a landscape mode (or use system/sensor detection)
3: exit on back key press
4: ability to add WAN server
5: use built-in player (like you already do for music types) for divx+mp3,x264+aac,mpeg2 files (detect via 4cc and/or extension - avi,divx,mkv,mp4,mpg,mpeg,vob,m2v)
open external player for other file types (mov/qt/rm/ac3); the system, hardware renderer should be able to decode most of the aforementioned files, thus eliminating the need for an additional app expressedly for that purpose (vplayer/mobo etc)
This COULD give you an edge over the other upnp/dlna solutions, since none of them provide this functionality (yet).

Thanks for the feedback

2. Not a priority for the initial stable version but in consideration for future versions. Landscape is mostly useful for tablets as it is the natural orientation.

3. You can exit the app via the "Exit" menu action found in the Now Playing tab.

4. definitely on the todo list although probably not in the first stable version

5 in consideration for a future verson
Last edited by bubbleguuum; 27th June 2011 at 02:58 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbleguuum For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread