Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,324 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[webtop] webtop2sd discussion (currently version 2.0.1)

Tip us?

Sogarth
Old
(Last edited by Sogarth; 10th October 2011 at 04:02 AM.) Reason: Changes for 2.0.1.
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 362
Default [webtop] webtop2sd discussion (currently version 2.0.1)

Note: Please keep this thread restricted to Atrix-specific and general issues. Threads for other devices are referenced at the top of the main webtop2sd thread.

Discuss webtop2sd here (the other thread will be kept clean for announcements, FAQs, etc.).

Before you report an issue:

Make sure it's not on the Known Issues list first!.

Basic debugging, since these are going to be questions I ask anyways:
  • If you hit problems with the Android webtop2sd application, you'll need to tell me the error, and give me the last few lines of adb logcat. Run this adb command, which will filter out most of the unimportant lines:
    • adb logcat ActivityManager:i AndroidRuntime:i webtop2sd:i *:s
  • Are you actually booting from your SD card? You can find this out by checking the Diagnostics tab in webtop2sd, under "Currently mounted webtops". If mmcblk1p12 isn't listed, you're not booted from your SD card. If this is the case, report what ROM you're running from.
  • Is the webtop configurator application showing, but not running successfully? If so, plug your device into your dock and run a terminal (either locally or adbWireless + adb shell) and run the following:
    • su
    • /usr/bin/sudo -H -u adas bash
    • export DISPLAY=:0
    • python /usr/local/bin/webtop-configurator.pyc
    I'll need whatever output shows up.
Currently playing with:
  • Samsung Note II (N-7100)
  • Sony Smartwatch (MN2SW)
Currently pondering:
  • Ways to provide e-mail access to non-root programs
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Sogarth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

racca
Old
(Last edited by racca; 11th June 2011 at 10:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 83

DONATE TO ME
great! thanks for making it so much easier.

haven't actually tested it b/c i sort of figured out how to do that a few days back, but still need to manually install it.
maybe i'll test your app next time i decide to reinstall my ubuntu.

btw, which script are you using to mount /osh? for me only /data/logging.sh works (it's safer anyway).

Sogarth
Old
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 362
I suspect that what I'm doing isn't rocket science by any means. But, what I do seem to be pretty good at is packaging semi-complex things up for people into a manageable form with a fairly solid level of reliability. You couldn't imagine the things I'm happy that I managed to accomplish with this app, because they're so... quirky.

Anyways, I've been using /system/bin/mountosh since the beginning. I need to tweak the copy I'm using right now, since my goals have expanded beyond what I initially wrote it for. On the other hand, it'll mean that I can separate out my "personal" Ubuntu versus my "debugging" one, and that should be quite helpful.
Currently playing with:
  • Samsung Note II (N-7100)
  • Sony Smartwatch (MN2SW)
Currently pondering:
  • Ways to provide e-mail access to non-root programs

OSNPA
Old
Thanks Meter 62
These advances with linux customization in webtop have turned me on to Ubuntu in general. I just dumped windows xp on my desktop server and now run ubuntu super OS and studio. This takes a phone to a new level. Thanks OP!
Samsung Galaxy SIII
Nexus 7
Motorola Atrix 3G freed from Moto w/ Lapdock, Car dock, Desk dock | CSRom (kid play duty)

n1ckr0th
Old
Thanks Meter 89
i would love to try this out but i'm on a mac.. can you partition through disk utility?
Current Phone: Nexus 5
KitKat 4.4.2
Cataclysm

Follow me on Twitter!

Want (Almost) Sense on your Atrix? look no further!

Privacy concerns on your Atrix?

My Past Phone Timeline..
Alcatel prototype -> Sony Ericsson W810i -> Sony Ericsson W510i -> HTC G1 -> Apple iPhone 3G -> Nokia E71x -> Apple iPhone 3GS -> Nokia E75 -> RIM Blackberry Curve 8900 -> Motorola Atrix -> Apple iPhone 5 -> AT&T Moto X -> Nexus 5

krkeegan
Old
(Last edited by krkeegan; 11th June 2011 at 05:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 67
I would complain that you beat me to it, my initial post here, except it looks like what you created is way more advanced and polished than anything I could do.

I will check it out right now. Oops, i see it is only a shell at the moment. Well I am very eager to try it.

A few questions then:
1. I assume this is similar to your last mod, in that you have just moved the Motorola environment onto the SD card, no chroot or other tricks?
2. Is the dependency problem better? Are we able to replace the motorola packages?
3. Are we still stuck with jaunty or is there a possibility to upgrade to a supported version of ubuntu?

Djazin
Old
Thanks Meter 64
I know this might seem like a useless question (installing regardless), but your previous work was based off the 1.5.7 firmware, would this app be supported/functional on the current 1.8.3 firmware?

Oh, and...
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

-djazin
Atrix - NottachTrix4G + DebainMod (for image loading XD) + webtop2sd + other mods XD

Captivate - Anything I feel like using at the moment XD (currently TEAM ICS atm)

Viamonte
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Yes I believe the most important questions here are:

1 - which version will it work for? .83? .57? or just up to .52?
2 - If the Ubuntu version could be upgraded to, say, 11? Probably not, but hey...

Regardless, your work is the only reason why I'm buying myself a lapdock and replacing my netbook, so thank you very much for this hobby of yours =)

Man_of_Leisure
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Looks great, thanks for the hard work

dicksteele
Old
Thanks Meter 1244
Sweet!! I just bought a 32 GB card the other day. Happy Fathers day to me.

Looks like no sleep week.
Dean Vernon Wormer: Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.