OP RandomKing

11th June 2011, 07:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Random Land
Thanks Meter: 1,466

1,484 posts
Donate to Me
More
This Mod is flashed through CWM to enable 2 simple all-in-one commands to Freeze/Defrost SNS, DRM, and System Updates. Downloads at the end of this post. Read on to learn what they do and how to easily use them!
Fully Flash-able Test Version HERE

Freeze SNS, DRM, and System Updates for Better Battery

These services are, generally, best kept frozen 99.9% of the time. Not deleted, as I've experienced problems if they are actually removed, but disabling them saves me noticeable battery life.

You can use Titanium Pro, MyToolbox, ,Bloat Freezer, or Mybackup Pro to freeze services, but that's only after you've installed a rom. Then once you boot in, you have to buy and download that app, and then navigate a huge list of services to freeze.

But it only takes one line of code per service you want to freeze. That's right, the following commands can be entered into a terminal like Terminal Emulator to disable these processes:

Code:
su (Gains root)
pm disable com.sec.android.providers.drm (Disables DRM launcher)
pm disable com.sec.android.app.sns (Disables sns)
pm disable com.samsung (Disables updates)
However, these commands are lengthy, not easily memorized, and just a pain to write. The best solution I can come up with is to simplify the commands.

[Note] You do not want to do this if you don't understand how freezing these services may affect your day-day use. This will save some battery at the definite cost of DRM content functionality and Facebook Contact integration.

How To Use This Mod:

Still using Terminal Emulator, after you flash one of the linked .zip files, all you will have to type is the following:

To Freeze Services:
Code:
su
superfreeze
To Defrost Services:
Code:
su
superdefrost
DOWNLOADS:If you like my work, click the Thanks button or donate a beer!

I am still in the works to make this work entirely solo once flashed from CWM.

PS: If you're looking for a free alternative to any of the apps I listed up above, this isn't it. This is only one small, dedicated part of those apps. I highly recommend buying one of them, you'll find them very useful.

PPS: This mod, and subsequent versions of it(hopefully!), is for the Epic 4G. I cannot guarantee that the script is accurate to any other phone. But the commands themselves are universal across Android.

Thanks to paulobrien for his explanation found here!
Last edited by RandomKing; 28th July 2011 at 06:04 PM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to RandomKing For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th June 2011, 09:05 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Themer
Flag SouthEast USA
Thanks Meter: 1,839

7,913 posts
Donate to Me
More
I can't answer you script question, but I have one of my own. Are those commands permanent, or will I have to type those in everytime I turn my phone back on? I'm assuming the latter, since you want to be able to do it easier.

Sent from the only thing i need.
11th June 2011, 09:23 PM   |  #3  
Flag Random Land

1,484 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderman112

I can't answer you script question, but I have one of my own. Are those commands permanent, or will I have to type those in everytime I turn my phone back on? I'm assuming the latter, since you want to be able to do it easier.

These commands are indeed permanent on reboot. Pm Disable is exactly the function apps like Titanium use when "freezing" services. The goal is, I would like these commands to be executed while my rom is installing. I used a similar .zip file as a skeleton for the layout, but I'm just not sure what additional coding is required to make this work. I'm 99.9% positive it can be done.
11th June 2011, 09:29 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Themer
Flag SouthEast USA

7,913 posts
Donate to Me
More
Oh ok. So I now don't have to disable the drm or sns anymore. Cool, if I ever needed to re-enable them, what would I type in?

11th June 2011, 09:32 PM   |  #5  
Flag Random Land

1,484 posts
Donate to Me
More
Surprisingly logical, you just have to type enable instead of disable.

-Sent from my Random Epic.
11th June 2011, 09:39 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Themer
Flag SouthEast USA

7,913 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ok, I thought so, but sometimes things aren't as simple as could be. Good luck on your script.

12th June 2011, 05:33 PM   |  #7  
Flag Random Land

1,484 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ok, I thought so, but sometimes things aren't as simple as could be. Good luck on your script.

Too often not as simple as it could be! There must be some sort of call function I'm missing. Lol

-Sent from my Random Epic.
13th June 2011, 01:58 PM   |  #8  
Flag Random Land

1,484 posts
Donate to Me
More
So it seems no matter how I try to launch this, from etc/lib.d, as a tool, from data/local... etc. It doesn't seem to have any effect if not run from within Android itself.
13th June 2011, 02:11 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Themer
Flag SouthEast USA

7,913 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomKing

So it seems no matter how I try to launch this, from etc/lib.d, as a tool, from data/local... etc. It doesn't seem to have any effect if not run from within Android itself.

I really wish I could help.

Sent from my Epic 4G, awaiting official gingerbread
13th June 2011, 02:43 PM   |  #10  
Flag Random Land

1,484 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I really wish I could help.

Sent from my Epic 4G, awaiting official gingerbread

It's a shame, it'd be nice to have a rom install with some services like this disabled by default. Then there could be a matching patch to re-enable them if needed.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cwm, freeze services, pm disable, terminal emulator
Previous Thread Next Thread