Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,397 Members 48,346 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Mounting the galaxy tab in-dash

Tip us?

Thisrobot
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Mounting the galaxy tab in-dash

I'm interested in replacing a double din headunit with the galaxy.

Can you post pictures/tips/comments on how you have accomplished this?

Ideally I'd like something that could pass tech inspection for autocross (a type of autoracing).

I did see this and thought it was pretty interesting:
...ugh I have a couple of youtube links, but can't post them until I get my post count up.

monkeefied
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I was also interested in doing this. I would imagine if you could mount it so that it was recessed/clamped in, that it would pass tech inspection. Though you would prolly have to go through the official rule book for your class and see what exactly they are looking for.

Stu_Gotti
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I was thinking about doing something for my 2011 WRX as well. Although I know it's an iPad, here is something I thought was badazz...
Verizon SGS3 - CM10
US Army Veteran

Ne@004
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i also want to know about it,it looks so cool in some of the youtube videos

RoelZ1982
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ah, now this thread I like! :)

I've been thinking about a lot of things to implement my SGT into my car. The only first problem I ran into was.. do I want this thing forever in this car?
Back then I only had it for a wintersports vacation. To navigate and watch movies.

My most wanted version is/was to build it into a lexputer (I own a Lexus IS200).
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/228/lexputer1.jpg
BTW: I'm still looking for this!

But since I couldn't find it AND I didn't really know if I was gonna keep this tablet I decided to build a rack in my own simple way.
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/17516817242650946981310.jpg
(don't laugh) ;)

I adjusted my amp and receiver of my car for now with a fm-modulator (not the best sound quality). Since I cannot find the right cables to connect it directly (i.e. a interface adapter).
I tried to build my own, but I'm still in search for the right connector.

So this is my result.
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/17307717401206264459110.jpg
I attached a Brodit holder to my own construction. Et voila.

So my to list:
  1. Get a Lexputer
  2. Get the right interface adapter from SGT to Lexus IS200 stereo
  3. Get a keyboard
  4. Build it all nicely into my dashboard

to mod: soz to adjust my external links. Haven't made to eight replies yet. But I am legit

lictor4
Old
(Last edited by lictor4; 16th June 2011 at 04:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
don't forget to add something like this to the setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-h_J7RDXdw

Here is a great setup that takes advantage of the Tab's "double DIN" size, I'd like my tab to be removable tho( or just buy another....)

The biggest pain it that there is (currently) no connector for the tab that does audio and power(is there?) Maybe hack together a charge cable and component-out cable?

whats77inaname
Old
(Last edited by whats77inaname; 16th June 2011 at 06:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12
My setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJAqJL2aPg

If you mount it in the dash where the double din is located, you won't be able to use the camera to record your runs. With the car app I'm using, via the GPS it displays speed, elevation, etc during playback, so it'll help you fine tune your sessions.

Use dailyroads, it's a free app. This is what the screen looks like while filming and playing back:

You'll need one or two of these, as well.

That way you can adjust the volume without having to do it on the Tab, and with a lot more precision. It gets to be a pain in the a$$, believe me, having to reach for the volume control buttons on the Tab. I have 2, one for the sub amp and 1 for the 4 channel, mounted right under my arm rest and they are easily accessible.

The rearview mirror isn't really functional in my vehicle, so I pulled down. That's the add'l piece stuck to the windshield. I'm going to integrate the Tab mount's base to utilize the rearview mirror mount, so that I can pull it if I decide to sell the truck and want to return it to stock.

A keyboard really isn't necessary, IMHO. But I guess it depends on where you mount it. Swype works fine for what you need, and voice command does, as well.

You might also want to pick up one of these:

I hate having cords and crap all over the place, so I have this installed instead so I can power the Tab, my cell, and 1 add'l 12v device w/out having something coming out of the cigarette lighter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whats77inaname For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

khadar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
grt work :)

lictor4
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lictor4 View Post
The biggest pain it that there is (currently) no connector for the tab that does audio and power(is there?) Maybe hack together a charge cable and component-out cable?

Forgot that the hdmi dock has headphone jack and power port

carlsbad0331
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Here is a post I made awhile ago...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1049496

Still works perfectly well today.
T-Mo G2X
Rooted
CWM
Waiting patiently for CM7

T-Mo Samsung Galaxy Tab