Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,200 Members 40,356 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Media Server draining battery? (MIUI)

Tip us?

thegregbradley
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Default Media Server draining battery? (MIUI)

Not sure what the process "media server" is, but it's draining the hell out of my battery occasionally. I'm taking a wild guess and saying that it may be the new google music beta? But it's only occasionally so I don't wanna uninstall since I just got invited to try the cloud music.

Anyone with MIUI notice runaway media server and found a culprit?
I have a Note 2. Stock unrooted.

plainjane
Old
Thanks Meter 462
There's something keeping your media scanner running non-stop.
If you use MultiPicture Live Wallpaper, turn off the option to scan for new images. That left mine running constantly, but I did not notice a difference in battery and the power consumption was not very high.

(from... Evo/MIUI/Tapatalk)
HTC Supersonic (EVO 4G)
HW 003
Hboot 2.02 S-Off
Amon Ra recovery
More stuff that I'm too lazy to figure out and type.
MIUI 2.3.2_b1 ES (by Swiperat)
Extended Settings Mod
Tiamat 4.1.0 SBC

My wallpaper collection
GTalk: ohhhgeez@gmail.com

If you think I can help you with something or need me to elaborate on a post then feel free to pm me. I'll try my best to help you out.

Oh, and I have a vagina. Fear me :P

thegregbradley
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Interesting. I can't quite place what the hell is making it go nuts, and it's only occasionally and I can't seem to trigger it on purpose. Perhaps some sort of album artwork scan? I'm not using any live wallpaper either.
I have a Note 2. Stock unrooted.

shayne77
Old
Thanks Meter 692

DONATE TO ME
Think I've found the solution (that worked for me anyway)
I encountered this on another ROM and tried MIUI-XJ for the first time last night...

It's the "media" (music/video) player trying to download lyrics/cover art for your songs (as I just flashed this ROM last night, I assume this is a one off "task")
Go into the options and turn this off.. I found withins minutes, the phone wasn't HOT anymore, Battery usage dropped from ~60% to about 13% and is still going down...

See how you go...

unit713
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne77 View Post
Think I've found the solution (that worked for me anyway)
I encountered this on another ROM and tried MIUI-XJ for the first time last night...

It's the "media" (music/video) player trying to download lyrics/cover art for your songs (as I just flashed this ROM last night, I assume this is a one off "task")
Go into the options and turn this off.. I found withins minutes, the phone wasn't HOT anymore, Battery usage dropped from ~60% to about 13% and is still going down...

See how you go...
I'm actually having this issue with my phone...which media player are you using? Currently I'm using doubletwist, and the option to download album covers is only available in the upgraded version, and the stock media player with CM7 (latest RC) doesn't have that option it seems. Any other places in the settings that I can find these options? Thanks