rooting a japanese evo

Search This thread

ocnbrze

Jul 11, 2010
los angeles
ok so is there a way to root a japanese evo? it's hboot is 2.15. i haven't found any permanent root for it yet. i searched everywhere on the net so i'm not sure if it is possible.

tecbarrera

May 11, 2011
Chigasaki, Japan
bump.

Android Version: 2.2.1
Baseband Version: 2.15.00.05.06
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.17-g5b49f89
htc-kernel@and18-2 #2
Build Number: 1.15.970.1 CL343263 release-keys
Software Number: 1.15.970.1
Browser Version: WebKit 3.1
PRI Version: 2.11_01C
PRL Version: 01001
Hboot: 2.15.0001

Also, in case it'll help...
Radio:2.15.00.05.06
Model number ISW11HT
Hardware version 0005
Wimax MAC Address: F8 B :7F:28:99:30

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
No way to root any of the Evo's with updated software at the moment. The Japanese one because of their hboot and the US version because they fixed the GB exploit.

Reactions: tecbarrera

nikko1718

Aug 28, 2011
tokyo
rooted found

i rooted my htc evo wimax isw11ht

flash cynogenmod 7

i finally found it!!!!

Last edited:

tecbarrera

May 11, 2011
Chigasaki, Japan
The Japanese EVO unfortunately came with HBOOT 2.15.0001 which, until very recently, was unrootable. The Japanese EVO is under KDDI AU here in Japan, rather than Sprint USA. Other than that, I don't think there's really much difference.

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
There was a stock RUU for the Japanese Evo posted by xhausx on this forum I think. Some people got it to revert back to stock but others didn't.

With mine I had an old image of my rooted stock which I flashed and returned to AU and was able to get it replaced.
I couldn't seem to flash my wimax keys, but having looked around if you're using CWM to flash it won't do radios. Supposedly gotta use amon recovery.

Did you check if you had wimax prior to flashing a ROM?

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
If any is there could you answer me this if possible.
There seems to be WiMAX connectivity issues when flashing a custom ROM. Were there any problems prior to flashing ie. after turning s-off and rooting the phone? I'd like to try overclocking my phone, but I don't wanna lose my WiMAX access. Any advice would be great. Cheers.

Evo WiMAX Japan

{ParanoiA}

Apr 20, 2011
Ocean View, NJ
B4 u flash anything, just make a backup of your wimax partition, NOT just the keys. Then if anything gets borked, you will be safe. Once the keys are gone, they are not recoverable except if you have a backup partition. Just Google search backing up the ENTIRE partition.

Not Sent

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
B4 u flash anything, just make a backup of your wimax partition, NOT just the keys. Then if anything gets borked, you will be safe. Once the keys are gone, they are not recoverable except if you have a backup partition. Just Google search backing up the ENTIRE partition.

Not Sent

I rooted once before and backed up the WiMAX partition like you say. However I couldn't get a connection which seemed to be a common issue with those rooting the Japanese version of the evo, as most roms use sprints' base whereas here we have au which uses a different software version and whatnot. Did you manage to flash without any problems to your WiMAX here in Japan?

Evo WiMAX Japan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No way to root any of the Evo's with updated software at the moment. The Japanese one because of their hboot and the US version because they fixed the GB exploit.
    So, will it be that adb commands will be needed to downgrade to the original software and then after that it's just a process of using revolutionary to obtain root and apply CWM? Will the custom rom being flashed be the one you're creating or will it be the one of the files you can find in this forum?

Yeah, writing about it does make it seem so simple...wish it was:confused:!!

Yes, to the first part. The custom rom is the one I created, so WiMax and all that stuff for our Japanese Evo should work! I'll provide the custom rom.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Yeah, writing about it does make it seem so simple...wish it was:confused:!!

Well, hopefully it is. I finished going through the whole process again, and am successfully back on the latest build with root and other things working as far as I can tell.

When you're ready, send me a private message. We'll go from there.
    Custom ROM

Ok, so I've been working on a personal ROM looking at those based off of Sprints 4.67 base, and the mods they have and what not. So I've been attempting to incorporate a few of these features using our rooted base rom provided by SharpIS03.

I've managed to get working for our ROM:
    • Transparency (Settings and Status Bar)
    • CRT Animation (on and off)
    • Some attempts at new colour theming
    • Advanced Power Menu (Reboot, and Sound options)
    • Volume Rocker: long press to skip music when screen is off
    • Swipe to clear notification panel
    • Native Screenshot (power+home button)
    • Battery Bar
    • Extended Quick Settings *(alignment needs some adjusting)

This is what I've got working so far. I will also work at optimizing it as best I can.

I'm running also with ca1ne's underworld-sbc kernel and papa smurfs' Smurfed Out script.
    Also I've attempted to 'de-sense' the ROM so ssLauncher is the home replacement.

If anyone would like to try it out PM me. If there are any suggestions for other Mods let me know. I'm willing to give it a go if I can.
    Not a flashable ROM yet

@SharpIS03
    I sent you a PM.
    I stopped trying to compile in ROM form as I didn't really get any interest.
    I've been trying again recently, however I think I know what some of the problems are.
    If you were willing to help that would be great.

I sent you a pm with the link to a d/l, but as I said that one was a bit broken. I made some edits before work, and cooked up a newer version, and this seems to have gotten rid of the issues with wimax and wifi and the framework mods are working. I left it u/l so I should be able to have it available for d/l tonight. Also I put the wrong version of the launcher on it! There will most likely be a red line through it saying licence check failed as it's the paid version:banghead:
    You can download the free version and replace the paid one, but I'll make sure to change it. Keep forgetting that this is shared!

Japan EVO users:
    I've added some pic attachments to give people an idea of the visuals/mods.

Anybody want to test this out?