Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,964 Members 51,655 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[N2E] Nook 2nd Edition Touch - Development

Tip us?

xboxexpert
Old
(Last edited by xboxexpert; 19th June 2011 at 03:57 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1139

DONATE TO ME
Cool [N2E] Nook 2nd Edition Touch - Development

Until we get a dedicated forum, at that time this thread can be moved, we can talk about development and progress aside from rooting. I'll start off with remapping the buttons on the front of the device.

In DOS you can pull the keyboard map file below
Code:
adb pull /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl
Once pulled you can edit it in a program like Notepad++ and edit the following lines
Code:
key 407 RIGHT_NEXTPAGE
key 412 LEFT_NEXTPAGE
key 139 LEFT_PREVPAGE
key 158 RIGHT_PREVPAGE
You can change LEFT_NEXTPAGE to MENU and LEFT_PREVPAGE to BACK and now you have hard mapped Menu and Back buttons. I have ordered my own nook I've just been messing with a co-workers so I haven't found the Power button or "n" button mappings if they are in fact in the file.

Finally you can push the file back to the nook
Code:
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb push TWL4030_Keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/
adb shell chmod 644 /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
I've locked it up before when trying to boot nookie. Called tech support and they told me that holding down power button more than 20 secs, does a hardware reboot. Works.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xboxexpert For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xboxexpert
Old
(Last edited by xboxexpert; 15th June 2011 at 03:05 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1139

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmonica View Post
I installed the Android app store, but I am receiving the following error message:

"For security your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market"

How do I turn that off?

Thanks.
This will allow non-market installs [unzip sqlite3.zip]

Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps';"
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
del settings.db
Also if you want to install SQLite3 to the N2E you can just push it to the device. [unzip sqlite3 (push to n2e).zip]

Code:
adb push sqlite3 /system/bin
Attached Files
File Type: zip sqlite3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (703.0 KB, 181 views)
File Type: zip sqlite3 (push to n2e).zip - [Click for QR Code] (13.5 KB, 199 views)

xmas_spirit
Old
Thanks Meter 7
hey, i dont own nook touch, but this should work, just as on Nook color (from video I seen):

to go BACK, you dont need to remap key, just swipe with finger from right-to-left in clock area (on nook color it was at bottom, but on nook touch it should be at top position).

post results..
The Following User Says Thank You to xmas_spirit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FletchF
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_spirit View Post
hey, i dont own nook touch, but this should work, just as on Nook color (from video I seen):

to go BACK, you dont need to remap key, just swipe with finger from right-to-left in clock area (on nook color it was at bottom, but on nook touch it should be at top position).

post results..
Yes, I've been doing this.

jttraverse
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Nook 2nd Ed. Touch --from an SD card?

(First, sorry if this isn't the perfect place to post this...so feel free to move it if there's a better place.)

Ahem...uh, well...this question comes up because I happen to work at a business that is currently selling Nooks, and we've just received the new Touch version. However, for some brilliant (<<sarcasm) reason the demo units we've received are not really demo's, they only play a little presentation that shows how what the features are, and it loops over and over. So, we're very surprised that with this new touch sensitive Nook the user really doesn't have any chance to see how it actually works. No ability to test it, read, use the touch screen..nada! Wtf??

I'm curious whether someone might be able to make a bootable copy of the Touch software that will run off a SD card? If we could at least boot off the SD card so customers could at least see how the thing really functions, then it sure would make selling them easier...and no harm done afterward
-JTT

AidenM
Old
Thanks Meter 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jttraverse View Post
(First, sorry if this isn't the perfect place to post this...so feel free to move it if there's a better place.)

Ahem...uh, well...this question comes up because I happen to work at a business that is currently selling Nooks, and we've just received the new Touch version. However, for some brilliant (<<sarcasm) reason the demo units we've received are not really demo's, they only play a little presentation that shows how what the features are, and it loops over and over. So, we're very surprised that with this new touch sensitive Nook the user really doesn't have any chance to see how it actually works. No ability to test it, read, use the touch screen..nada! Wtf??

I'm curious whether someone might be able to make a bootable copy of the Touch software that will run off a SD card? If we could at least boot off the SD card so customers could at least see how the thing really functions, then it sure would make selling them easier...and no harm done afterward
-JTT
Of course this might be possible, but considering the limitations of this device (black and white, not meant to be a tablet) this would be very hard to achieve. The first step would be finding out if the thing can boot sd cards with a custom boot image.
mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest ; repo sync ; make

Mirrors for Nexus 7 Files

xboxexpert
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1139

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikingblack View Post
Of course this might be possible, but considering the limitations of this device (black and white, not meant to be a tablet) this would be very hard to achieve. The first step would be finding out if the thing can boot sd cards with a custom boot image.
I do not see why it couldn't boot from SD since it boots from the SD to actually root it. I see ALOT of the original Nook color mod's and scripts working on this little device since it does not deviate from the Nook color design much.

soricon
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Some more resources available here, including the installation for Kindle app
The Following User Says Thank You to soricon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

racks11479
Old
Thanks Meter 751

DONATE TO ME
What does the partition shceme look like on the Nook Touch? Is it anyway similar to Nook Color? Don't have one yet, but plan on picking one up soon.

Thanks,
Racks

jaysckap
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikingblack View Post
10 char

Sent from my BAMF Thunderbolt powered by Sense 3.0

Tags
nook touch, root