Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[KERNEL][FROYO][OC][08-08-11]PeanutButta Jelly Time - OTB Edition

OP imnuts

16th June 2011, 07:07 AM   |  #1  
imnuts's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag West Chester
Thanks Meter: 3,011
 
3,462 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Donate to Me
More
For the people that want overclocking, here is your chance. I took my standard voodoo kernel, and put in the stuff needed to overclock it. Thanks to nemesis2all and his OTB kernel from the Fascinate for the code needed to get this to work. Also, use extreme caution when using the higher clock speeds. The stock "max" voltage for the CPU is 1300mv, and 1500MHz and 1600MHz are both at 1500mv, so it's heavily over-volted at the top end. By default, the system will boot to 1000MHz and you need to set the speeds you want in Voltage Control App. I don't personally use this because I think overclocking is useless, so any bug reports need as much information as possible, or they will be dismissed and not looked into at all. If you run into an issue with the system locking up, odds are that you have undervolted to much for a given clock speed. Other than that, you're on your own. Same FAQ applies as the regular PBJ kernel, so look there until I get a chance to post it here as well.

Installation Instructions:
1. Download zip
2. Transfer to SDCard
3. Reboot into recovery, you'll need to have CWM if you don't already
4. Install zip from SDCard and select the zip you downloaded.
5. Reboot and enjoy

0808
Make logcat an option that can be turned on/off
-From root shell, run "logcat-enable" to turn logcat on, "logcat-disable" to turn it off
Make /preinstall partition swap space
Fix problem with rooting phone on boot
Fix fix_permissions in recovery
Update to recovery

0731
Fix mount USB Storage in recovery

0730
Updated CWM binary
Custom boot animation support

0709
Voodoo Sound V10

0615
Overclocking - Use Voltage Control App to adjust clocks and voltages

0602
Voodoo Sound fixed - Thanks supercurio
Removed OnDemand
Added FIFO and BFQ IO Schedulers
Added tun.ko and cifs.ko

0531
Initial release, built from source
Undervolted
Voodoo lagfix available - Thanks supercurio
Updated compiler flags
Linaro Toolchain for cross-compiling
Battery hack to allow for non-OEM Batteries - courtesy of SirGatez
init.d support
SDCard speed tweak (via init.d script)
Upstream EXT4 Patches
VFAT Patch
TCP and CFS Tweaks to help data/performance
V(R) IO Scheduler
Auto-root on boot
Maybe missing some other stuff, check Github for full changes

TODO (somewhat in order of importance):
Smooth out boot animation

NOTES:
If you are experiencing problems, I need detailed info to be able to fix it or help you out. Failure to provide detailed info will mean I'm just going to ignore your problem as user error. Details would be something such as which kernel you are flashing (filename) and steps to reproduce the issue. Also, if you used any other kernels that had the same problem or didn't have the problem.

DISCLAIMER
By downloading and using the kernels, this signifies that you have read this full post and the FAQ before reporting an issue. You also take all responsibility if your phone breaks or your warranty becomes void (which, if you're flashing this, it already is). I offer no guarantees as to anything working, though I try not to release broken stuff, it happens sometimes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 0808_charge_overclock.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.95 MB, 2240 views)
Last edited by imnuts; 20th August 2011 at 06:46 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to imnuts For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2011, 07:07 AM   |  #2  
imnuts's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag West Chester
Thanks Meter: 3,011
 
3,462 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Donate to Me
More
FAQ Placeholder
16th June 2011, 03:15 PM   |  #3  
asenduk's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 54
 
519 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
More
2k+ on quadrant @ 1.4ghz... Niiiiice
Thanks imnuts
The Following User Says Thank You to asenduk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2011, 03:16 PM   |  #4  
khanfuze's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
113 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
Undervolted and running ok so far.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App
16th June 2011, 03:35 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
125 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
Could you cuties advise on what sort of settings you're using for this?

I'm using the 'vr' setting with an Interactive governor at 1.1GHz and my phone is slowing to a crawl so it's hardly usable. I'm not looking for any crazy overclocking just something to keep my phone snappy whilst I keep in touch with my prostitutes and be sure they are working the proper street corners.

The weird thing is I'm not sure if Voodoo Lagfix is enabled. Voodoo control says yes, CWM says no and won't let me enable it that way, is there a way to be sure?

Spanks!
16th June 2011, 03:52 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
350 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppelinJ0

The weird thing is I'm not sure if Voodoo Lagfix is enabled. Voodoo control says yes, CWM says no and won't let me enable it that way, is there a way to be sure?

Spanks!

Go into a Terminal Emulator on the device and type Mount. 3rd or 4th row on the list should show ext4. If it does then lagfix is enabled. If you do not see Ext4 and it says rfs still then it is not enabled.
16th June 2011, 04:12 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
125 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by will2live

Go into a Terminal Emulator on the device and type Mount. 3rd or 4th row on the list should show ext4. If it does then lagfix is enabled. If you do not see Ext4 and it says rfs still then it is not enabled.

Well it's definitely enabled. I just must have set the CPU settings poorly because this thing is crawling right now, I can't even scroll through the app drawer!

I've been trying to CWM back to the other PBJ kernels however my phone hangs on reboot, I'm guessing because those need to be flashed with Odin.
16th June 2011, 04:19 PM   |  #8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asenduk

2k+ on quadrant @ 1.4ghz... Niiiiice
Thanks imnuts

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.. running at 1.4 and my quadrant scores are exactly the same.... not that it really matters but still...
16th June 2011, 04:33 PM   |  #9  
das7771's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Plantation
Thanks Meter: 37
 
346 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts

. I don't personally use this because I think overclocking is useless.

Just curious as to why you think it's useless. I am sure you know some thing that I don't so your opinion matters to me. I love the fact that I can overclock, but if it's not needed then I might not bother. I know it did make a difference for my DX.
16th June 2011, 04:38 PM   |  #10  
imnuts's Avatar
OP Recognized Developer
Flag West Chester
Thanks Meter: 3,011
 
3,462 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by das7771

Just curious as to why you think it's useless. I am sure you know some thing that I don't so your opinion matters to me. I love the fact that I can overclock, but if it's not needed then I might not bother. I know it did make a difference for my DX.

Use a program like CPUSpy that shows you the clock speed stats of your phone. >75% of the time, it will likely be in 400MHz or less, this probably approaches >90% if you say 800MHz or less, especially if you are not a heavy user. At that point, why overclock your phone? To get the overclocking stable, you need increase voltages across the board, and despite undervolting, you'll never get the same power usage as you can with a non-overclocked kernel as some of the voltage changes you can't revert. My opinion is that while overclocking can smooth some stuff out, for most day-to-day usage, it has no practical benefits and only causes more battery drain than you would otherwise have. Given how precious battery life is these days, why knowing make your battery drain faster?

The Following User Says Thank You to imnuts For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
kernel, overclock, peanutbutta jelly, voltage control, voodoo
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes