Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,145 Members 37,630 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL][FROYO][OC][08-08-11]PeanutButta Jelly Time - OTB Edition

Tip us?

imnuts
Old
(Last edited by imnuts; 20th August 2011 at 05:46 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2,977

DONATE TO ME
Default [KERNEL][FROYO][OC][08-08-11]PeanutButta Jelly Time - OTB Edition

For the people that want overclocking, here is your chance. I took my standard voodoo kernel, and put in the stuff needed to overclock it. Thanks to nemesis2all and his OTB kernel from the Fascinate for the code needed to get this to work. Also, use extreme caution when using the higher clock speeds. The stock "max" voltage for the CPU is 1300mv, and 1500MHz and 1600MHz are both at 1500mv, so it's heavily over-volted at the top end. By default, the system will boot to 1000MHz and you need to set the speeds you want in Voltage Control App. I don't personally use this because I think overclocking is useless, so any bug reports need as much information as possible, or they will be dismissed and not looked into at all. If you run into an issue with the system locking up, odds are that you have undervolted to much for a given clock speed. Other than that, you're on your own. Same FAQ applies as the regular PBJ kernel, so look there until I get a chance to post it here as well.

Installation Instructions:
1. Download zip
2. Transfer to SDCard
3. Reboot into recovery, you'll need to have CWM if you don't already
4. Install zip from SDCard and select the zip you downloaded.
5. Reboot and enjoy

Make logcat an option that can be turned on/off
-From root shell, run "logcat-enable" to turn logcat on, "logcat-disable" to turn it off
Make /preinstall partition swap space
Fix problem with rooting phone on boot
Fix fix_permissions in recovery
Update to recovery

Fix mount USB Storage in recovery

Updated CWM binary
Custom boot animation support

Voodoo Sound V10

Overclocking - Use Voltage Control App to adjust clocks and voltages

Voodoo Sound fixed - Thanks supercurio
Removed OnDemand
Added FIFO and BFQ IO Schedulers
Added tun.ko and cifs.ko

Initial release, built from source
Undervolted
Voodoo lagfix available - Thanks supercurio
Updated compiler flags
Linaro Toolchain for cross-compiling
Battery hack to allow for non-OEM Batteries - courtesy of SirGatez
init.d support
SDCard speed tweak (via init.d script)
Upstream EXT4 Patches
VFAT Patch
TCP and CFS Tweaks to help data/performance
V(R) IO Scheduler
Auto-root on boot
Maybe missing some other stuff, check Github for full changes

TODO (somewhat in order of importance):
Smooth out boot animation

NOTES:
If you are experiencing problems, I need detailed info to be able to fix it or help you out. Failure to provide detailed info will mean I'm just going to ignore your problem as user error. Details would be something such as which kernel you are flashing (filename) and steps to reproduce the issue. Also, if you used any other kernels that had the same problem or didn't have the problem.

DISCLAIMER
By downloading and using the kernels, this signifies that you have read this full post and the FAQ before reporting an issue. You also take all responsibility if your phone breaks or your warranty becomes void (which, if you're flashing this, it already is). I offer no guarantees as to anything working, though I try not to release broken stuff, it happens sometimes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 0808_charge_overclock.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.95 MB, 2226 views)
Setup a Development Environment
Setup and Use the Android SDK
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to imnuts For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

imnuts
Old
Thanks Meter 2,977

DONATE TO ME
FAQ Placeholder
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this

asenduk
Old
Thanks Meter 48
2k+ on quadrant @ 1.4ghz... Niiiiice
Thanks imnuts
The Following User Says Thank You to asenduk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

khanfuze
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Undervolted and running ok so far.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App
HTC Fuze (broken)
Motorola Droid (backup)
HTC Thundwebolt (sold it)
Droid Charge

ZeppelinJ0
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Could you cuties advise on what sort of settings you're using for this?

I'm using the 'vr' setting with an Interactive governor at 1.1GHz and my phone is slowing to a crawl so it's hardly usable. I'm not looking for any crazy overclocking just something to keep my phone snappy whilst I keep in touch with my prostitutes and be sure they are working the proper street corners.

The weird thing is I'm not sure if Voodoo Lagfix is enabled. Voodoo control says yes, CWM says no and won't let me enable it that way, is there a way to be sure?

Spanks!

will2live
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppelinJ0 View Post
The weird thing is I'm not sure if Voodoo Lagfix is enabled. Voodoo control says yes, CWM says no and won't let me enable it that way, is there a way to be sure?

Spanks!
Go into a Terminal Emulator on the device and type Mount. 3rd or 4th row on the list should show ext4. If it does then lagfix is enabled. If you do not see Ext4 and it says rfs still then it is not enabled.

ZeppelinJ0
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by will2live View Post
Go into a Terminal Emulator on the device and type Mount. 3rd or 4th row on the list should show ext4. If it does then lagfix is enabled. If you do not see Ext4 and it says rfs still then it is not enabled.
Well it's definitely enabled. I just must have set the CPU settings poorly because this thing is crawling right now, I can't even scroll through the app drawer!

I've been trying to CWM back to the other PBJ kernels however my phone hangs on reboot, I'm guessing because those need to be flashed with Odin.

Manjews
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by asenduk View Post
2k+ on quadrant @ 1.4ghz... Niiiiice
Thanks imnuts
I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.. running at 1.4 and my quadrant scores are exactly the same.... not that it really matters but still...

das7771
Old
Thanks Meter 37

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
. I don't personally use this because I think overclocking is useless.
Just curious as to why you think it's useless. I am sure you know some thing that I don't so your opinion matters to me. I love the fact that I can overclock, but if it's not needed then I might not bother. I know it did make a difference for my DX.
Current Devices
TMO LG G3
Nvidia Shield
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 7 (2013)
Gear Live

imnuts
Old
Thanks Meter 2,977

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by das7771 View Post
Just curious as to why you think it's useless. I am sure you know some thing that I don't so your opinion matters to me. I love the fact that I can overclock, but if it's not needed then I might not bother. I know it did make a difference for my DX.
Use a program like CPUSpy that shows you the clock speed stats of your phone. >75% of the time, it will likely be in 400MHz or less, this probably approaches >90% if you say 800MHz or less, especially if you are not a heavy user. At that point, why overclock your phone? To get the overclocking stable, you need increase voltages across the board, and despite undervolting, you'll never get the same power usage as you can with a non-overclocked kernel as some of the voltage changes you can't revert. My opinion is that while overclocking can smooth some stuff out, for most day-to-day usage, it has no practical benefits and only causes more battery drain than you would otherwise have. Given how precious battery life is these days, why knowing make your battery drain faster?
Stock Odin Restore files

The Following User Says Thank You to imnuts For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
kernel, overclock, peanutbutta jelly, voltage control, voodoo