PERMANENTLY fix your "blown" speaker

OP dabigcheezze

16th June 2011, 07:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

56 posts
First off this could break your speaker, do this at your own risk.
I have tested this on 2 EVO's with completely "blown" speakers, they both now sound absolutely perfect. From what i can tell, it's a lot of built up metal shavings, they weigh the speaker cone down and prevent it from making the true desired frequency.
You will need a earth magnet, or a really strong regular one will do i guess,(I used a earth mag tho)
First issue: you have to take the phone apart, from there, remove speaker,
(has been covered on youtube so go a lookin)
Now.. take the speaker, sweet diagram huh?(its late) and drop it, foam side down, from about 3 or 4 inches onto the magnet. Repeat. You will see the shavings coming off the speaker and sticking to the earth magnet.
Do it for a few minutes or until the metal shavings are all gone.
Re-assemble, click your favorite player and enjoy!!
I will try to get a tutorial on youtube soon..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker.jpg
Views:	2608
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	626802  
Last edited by dabigcheezze; 16th June 2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added disclaimer...oops
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dabigcheezze For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2011, 08:07 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 15

299 posts
u might wanna add a disclaimer as some waterhead is gonna do this and toast their evo!

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App
The Following User Says Thank You to HTCRALEIGHFAN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2011, 11:36 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 86

1,169 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCRALEIGHFAN

u might wanna add a disclaimer as some waterhead is gonna do this and toast their evo!

HA ha

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
16th June 2011, 04:33 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

56 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCRALEIGHFAN

Done..Thanks and sorry.
16th June 2011, 05:05 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

106 posts
More
Why not since you have it apart and risk damaging the speaker by screwing up the polarity of the speakers magnet just drop in a brand new speaker. They can be picked up for a few bucks.
16th June 2011, 05:37 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

56 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdiver83

Why not since you have it apart and risk damaging the speaker by screwing up the polarity of the speakers magnet just drop in a brand new speaker. They can be picked up for a few bucks.

Im on my third speaker in a year,and who want's to wait two weeks for the speaker to get from china? Did another friend's this am, zero problems. I can see where you would think this may cause a problem, but it doesn't, Sound is restored to perfect.
Just trying to pass on what has worked 3 times for me. I would prefer fixing rather than replacing, i assume others would too.
16th June 2011, 07:00 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 97

446 posts
More
I see this all the time at my store, especially those who work outside and around machinery.

Had one guy blow 3 in two weeks before we finally sat him down and explained in detail exactly why it was doing it before he finally wised up.
16th June 2011, 08:09 PM   |  #8  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 93

469 posts
Donate to Me
More
just take it to sprint they will replace it for free and do it right there
The Following User Says Thank You to kingakuma For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th June 2011, 03:44 AM   |  #9  
OP Member

56 posts
Assuming you have not disassembled it and broke the seal, and you have a warranty, and you live near a store that does service work. But besides that, yeah spot on.

18th June 2011, 03:54 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 97

446 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigcheezze

Assuming you have not disassembled it and broke the seal, and you have a warranty, and you live near a store that does service work. But besides that, yeah spot on.

I work on Evos with broken screw seals. For the average customer, it means they've had it worked on before and the sticker wasn't replaced.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread