Google Play Newsstand 3.3 Brings Material Design Makeover

In a clear break from the previous practice of delivering nearly weekly Google … more

App Review: Calculating Your Android Calculator Options

Sure, everyone has a default Calculator and its something that you dont think about … more

MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

Mugen Power 3600 mAh extended battery

17th June 2011, 04:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Portland
Thanks Meter: 6

59 posts
More
Hiya, I just purchased the 3600 mAh Mugen Power extended battery and the case it came with doesn't seem to have an antenna built into it. Would it be possible to fix on a thin strip of metal to the case and have it touch the connectors on the phone? If so, which metal would give the best reception or are the antennas more complex than just a line of wire? Thanks for any info!
20th June 2011, 07:49 PM   |  #2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 10

64 posts
More
mugen power accessories are really bad quality... i would buy it. if you do it yourself you can damage yourbdevice by short circuit...

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA App
23rd June 2011, 03:59 PM   |  #3  
Flag Rostov on Don
Thanks Meter: 2

19 posts
More
Nice fail from mugen. No more calls with extended battery. Airplane mode will extend battery life even more
25th June 2011, 11:10 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 23

157 posts
Donate to Me
I think you should claim for a refund. According to your description their product is useless.

Thought Mugen was a high end battery supplier, but this is really an unacceptable major fail.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA App
29th June 2011, 11:35 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Portland

59 posts
More
Hmm I need to rectify this mistake. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. After the initial few days of no responses I stopped monitoring this thread. I was at the beach when my roommate let me know the package had arrived. I asked him to open it and that's the conclusion he gave me when I asked. In the photos on the website you can't tell exactly so out of frantic worry and to find a solution I posted on here via my phone.

The truth is it's a pretty damn good battery. There is an antenna in the back cover and I'm not really sure why my friend thought there wasn't. Reception seems to be the same even though the antenna is bigger? Or maybe its around the same size if the stock back cover has it hidden in the plastic. The Mugen Power back case covers it with black tape. That aside, the cover feels fairly sturdy, though it could be improved a bit. Maybe some self modification would resolve that issue. It makes a bit more noise when you squeeze it than the stock cover but it doesn't feel like its going to come off or fracture.

As for the battery it seems to last me on average 40 hours before I feel the need to charge it. I'd say it isn't used heavily, more like my old phone where I just sent texts all day, called a few people and listened to music for a good number of hours. The longest I've had it go was 57 hours after letting it completely die. All in all I am quite satisfied aside from a few minor complaints about the case.

Once again I apologize about this, I jumped the gun. Also, the website I purchased it from http://www.pdaphone-battery.com will deliver if you order from them. I was worried it was a scam site since it looks extremely ghetto and no confirmation email or tracking number was sent to me after purchase. But as I said the shipping was speedy and they did send me what I ordered. They don't use https though which bugged me, however the paying part used PayPal so that was acceptable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	640614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	640615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	640616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	640617  
Last edited by Flappyraccoon; 29th June 2011 at 11:49 AM.
29th June 2011, 11:50 AM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag Portland

59 posts
More
One more picture for better reference. I'll post a comparison picture of stock vs extended batter cover sizes if people are interested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	640618  
29th June 2011, 11:50 AM   |  #7  
Google Earth
Thanks Meter: 200

942 posts
Donate to Me
@Flappyraccoon

can we see inside the back cover/door...part of the signal ...TQ
29th June 2011, 12:09 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag Portland

59 posts
More
You mean the bare antenna under the tape? Sure, I'll try to get pics up later today for ya.
29th June 2011, 01:15 PM   |  #9  

62 posts
More
Sorry but looks like a brick. What´s the weight of it now? Hope you´re satisfied.
30th June 2011, 08:49 AM   |  #10  
OP Member
Flag Portland

59 posts
More
I only pulled it back far enough so you could see what the antenna was made out of. Hope that is enough for ya. As for the second picture, when you look at it and feel with your fingers the antenna (I'm assuming its made from the same thin metal) is laid out in the path of the red line. It ends at the yellow line.

As for the phone brick, its not much heavier at least in my opinion. It also fits into my hand and doesn't wiggle around as much. This is because it fills in the gap between my hand and the phone. For me that is wonderful, maybe not for you .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	641686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	641687  

The Following User Says Thank You to Flappyraccoon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread