Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 39,064 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Zagg SmartBuds update [G2x compatible]

Tip us?
 
RhynosAndroid
Old
#1  
RhynosAndroid's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 138
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Default Zagg SmartBuds update [G2x compatible]

Ok, so here's an update [and more in depth review now that I've had them for a while] on my Zagg Smartbuds...

The short answer, I LOVE 'EM!

Now, for those w/larger attention spans, let's get into the dirt.
Let me start off by saying, I haven't found anything I don't like about them, well, the lack of a physical manual to explain how to operate it. Although, really, w/a single button and a volume slider, it didn't take to much to figure it out quickly:the slider is self explanatory and the button, well 1 click =pause/stop a quick double click=skip track.

Ok, bringing up the slider does bring up a minor annoyance, it is VERY sensitive! I've had it brush my shirt and either crank up or go silent a few times. AND a little movement goes a long way as well.

The main [only] music app I've been using since I rcvd my Smartbuds is the Google Music beta, just to get all my cards on the table. I bring this up because, if I pause the music from my earbuds for more than a few minutes, I can't restart it. The program shuts down, some sort of auto shut off that I can't find an option to disable. Off topic, but annoying none the less.

My favorite thing about these buds are the [line]sliders. There are 3, 1 below the volume slider 1 between the slider and the music control/mic and 1 below the ear buds. These are great because they allow you to create a loop to slip over your head so the weight of the cord isn't always pulling on the ear buds. Really nice for my job and for running.

The sound is crystal clear and the bass is solid. It's not going to shake your eyeballs, but for good quality bass, it's solid!

They also came w/multiple [5 total] ear buds to customize the fit. I know this is standard, but the most I ever got were w/my skullcandy's, and that was 3 total.

The cable is a pretty nice construct as well. They call it a tangle free cord and that's pretty accurate. There are multiple colors, meh, I guess I'mm happy, I went metal as opposed to black or [I think] red.

Now, these aren't advertised as water resistant. I was worried about issues due to sweat. I work outside in Oklahoma and we've already had a few triple digit days, so it's safe to say, I sweat like a whore in church. After about a month of usage, no issues. This is the reason why I no longer have my sc's.

I got them during the Memorial Day 50% off sale, but at their full price of 49.99, they still aren't to hard on the wallet.

If there is anything you're wondering about that I haven't touched on, let me know and I'll answer to the best of my ability.
 
enragedpaza
Old
#2  
enragedpaza's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 644
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: cincinnati
I'll look again, but I believe the smart buds are not water resistant. I have them too, three of my friends have bought them after talking to me about them

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App
Device: iPhone 64g 4s
There is no need to fight in forums, nothing is accomplished by doing so. Except bruised Ego's and 5 more pages to read through.
GOOD BYE ANDROID

 
donbeth
Old
#3  
donbeth's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 47
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallas
I just checked out the website http://www.zagg.com/audio/smart-buds.php
They look good. These work for the phone as well? The video mentioned that but I don't see where the mic is.

My only concern is the ear bud style. i have a really hard time getting any of them to stay in my ears. I hate to spend 50 bucks and find they fall out.
 
enragedpaza
Old
#4  
enragedpaza's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 644
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: cincinnati
Yes it works on our phone. The microphone is where the volume control/answer button is. It picks up on wind pretty bad though
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbeth View Post
I just checked out the website http://www.zagg.com/audio/smart-buds.php
They look good. These work for the phone as well? The video mentioned that but I don't see where the mic is.

My only concern is the ear bud style. i have a really hard time getting any of them to stay in my ears. I hate to spend 50 bucks and find they fall out.


Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
Device: iPhone 64g 4s
There is no need to fight in forums, nothing is accomplished by doing so. Except bruised Ego's and 5 more pages to read through.
GOOD BYE ANDROID

 
RhynosAndroid
Old
#5  
RhynosAndroid's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 138
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedpaza View Post
Yes it works on our phone. The microphone is where the volume control/answer button is. It picks up on wind pretty bad though



Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
Actually the mic is on the same area as the answer/pause/skip button is, but the volume slider is located lower on a separate piece than the mic and button.

As far as not being water resistant, I know they aren't. The reason why I used 'not advertised as' was more due to the fact that, even though they don't list them as such, these have held up w/me sweating in 100+ deg weather. So no, they are not water resistant, nor do the mfg claim them to be sweat resistant, but they still have held up where others have failed.
 
RhynosAndroid
Old
#6  
RhynosAndroid's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 138
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbeth View Post
My only concern is the ear bud style. i have a really hard time getting any of them to stay in my ears. I hate to spend 50 bucks and find they fall out.
I have had the same issues, Unfortunately I can't say they will work for you, but they have a joint [this may be a bad way to describe it, but I'll post pics later tonight] that kind of anchors the ear bud in. PLUS the sliders that they have on the lines really help by keeping the line weight from trying to pull them out.
The Following User Says Thank You to RhynosAndroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
enragedpaza
Old
#7  
enragedpaza's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 644
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: cincinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhynosAndroid View Post
Actually the mic is on the same area as the answer/pause/skip button is, but the volume slider is located lower on a separate piece than the mic and button.

As far as not being water resistant, I know they aren't. The reason why I used 'not advertised as' was more due to the fact that, even though they don't list them as such, these have held up w/me sweating in 100+ deg weather. .
On mine the slider is higher and then Mic then button.
I just wanted to make sure no one else put these on got in the tub and ruined them or something dumb like that because of a comment on here that could easily be taken the wrong way

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App
Device: iPhone 64g 4s
There is no need to fight in forums, nothing is accomplished by doing so. Except bruised Ego's and 5 more pages to read through.
GOOD BYE ANDROID

 
RhynosAndroid
Old
#8  
RhynosAndroid's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 138
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedpaza View Post
On mine the slider is higher and then Mic then button.
I just wanted to make sure no one else put these on got in the tub and ruined them or something dumb like that because of a comment on here that could easily be taken the wrong way

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App
When did you get yours? There must've been a design change. I've only had mine for about a month. My volume slider is maybe 8" below my control button/mic, it puts the mic perfect for using w/o having to hold it or adjust it.

As far as the water thing, it's a good point you make, common sense is so rare it's damn near a super power any more. Good call.

Sent from my Bionix 2 - A TeamWhiskey Production using XDA App
 
enragedpaza
Old
(Last edited by enragedpaza; 20th June 2011 at 05:07 AM.)
#9  
enragedpaza's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 644
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: cincinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhynosAndroid View Post
When did you get yours? There must've been a design change. I've only had mine for about a month. My volume slider is maybe 8" below my control button/mic, it puts the mic perfect for using w/o having to hold it or adjust it.


Sent from my Bionix 2 - A TeamWhiskey Production using XDA App
Um It's been awhile now. I ordered mine off there site. Did you order too? Or go to Best Buy?
Edit: picture. Thumb is the end going to the headphones

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App
Device: iPhone 64g 4s
There is no need to fight in forums, nothing is accomplished by doing so. Except bruised Ego's and 5 more pages to read through.
GOOD BYE ANDROID

 
donbeth
Old
#10  
donbeth's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 47
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallas
I took the leap. Just ordered a pair. I found a 20% off coupon code that worked, plus free shipping.
LG G2X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes