Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 40,424 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Overclocking Question CM7 Size-agnostic SD Card

Tip us?

woneil
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Overclocking Question CM7 Size-agnostic SD Card

I am running nightly version 102 off an SD card which I set up per verygreens instructions. It works great, but I was thinking overclocking with dalingrin's latest kernel. Here are my questions:

1. While the previous instructions (by verygreen) indicated I should unzip the OC zip file, rename the kernel "uImage", then copy to the 1st partition of my SD card, it seems like what I need to do now is copy the zip file to the 1st partition of the SD card, boot into recovery mode and the kernel will install. Is this correct?

2. What can I do if I want to go back to my original kernel? Do I just reinstall a new CM7 nightly?

rhester72
Old
Thanks Meter 58
1. Correct

2. That or reflash the same one

Rodney
The Following User Says Thank You to rhester72 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

woneil
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks! I appreciate the quick response.

Awats
Old
(Last edited by Awats; 19th June 2011 at 08:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by woneil View Post
I am running nightly version 102 off an SD card which I set up per verygreens instructions. It works great, but I was thinking overclocking with dalingrin's latest kernel. Here are my questions:

1. While the previous instructions (by verygreen) indicated I should unzip the OC zip file, rename the kernel "uImage", then copy to the 1st partition of my SD card, it seems like what I need to do now is copy the zip file to the 1st partition of the SD card, boot into recovery mode and the kernel will install. Is this correct?

2. What can I do if I want to go back to my original kernel? Do I just reinstall a new CM7 nightly?
Assuming you are staying on SD card (as I am), you can copy the OC zip file to the SD card and reboot it. It will install the OC files. I stopped copying the OC files directly to the nightly zip file. I also stopped copying both the nightly AND the OC to the SD card at the same time. I had install troubles doing that. Sure, it might work for some but it didn't for me (at least not consistently.)

I always install the new nightly first, then check that OC in setting is gone (good confirmation the nightly did get installed since they don't show the zip explode on the screen anymore), then copy the OC zip file to the SD card, let that install and then check that 1200MHz OC is available in settings (confirms OC installed.)

If need to go backwards on the nightly, I copy that to SD card, let it explode and it also removed the OC kernel. Then I can decide if I want to add the OC in again (which I usually do.)

It's a few more steps but I have better control if things start to go weird.
Nook Color running on SD
1300MHz OC
Sandisk 16GB Class 4 SD
Current CM 7.1.0 B251
Testing CM 9.0.0 20120208
HP Touchpad 16GB
Testing ICS Alpha 0.6