Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,692 Members 40,817 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Got mine, but having a serious problem...

Tip us?
 
SirSigma
Old
#1  
SirSigma's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 545
Posts: 1,390
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Your neighborhood parking lot
Default [Q] Got mine, but having a serious problem...

I am very impressed with my Galaxy Tab 10.1, but I'm having a glaring problem: my PC won't detect it as a storage device. This is the one that came with 3.1 out of the box, and I assumed that it would connect to my PC and play perfectly with it. I guess I've been spoiled by how my HTC Evo always connected perfectly to my PC with no issues or no drivers for me to hunt down and install, because it didn't work.

Okay, no sweat, I just need to download the drivers and install them, right? I did just that as well. I connect the tablet to the PC (which runs Windows 7 64-bit), and the PC gives me notifications saying my device is ready to use, but I can't find it as a storage device at all under My Computer. I do find it in my "Devices and Printers" list, but it doesn't show up with the rest of my devices at the top (it shows up with unspecified devices or something at the bottom of the list with a generic-looking icon representing it).

Okay, I probably need to just uninstall the drivers and maybe reinstall them and try again, right? Did just that, no dice. The exact same thing happens. On the tablet, I also probably need to point out that the only thing I get is the "USB Debugging Detected" notification or whatever it says while Windows 7 doesn't pick it up.

So now I ask what everybody else did to get theirs recognized. And I already tried switching USB ports and checking for updates. No dice there, either.
 
SirSigma
Old
(Last edited by SirSigma; 20th June 2011 at 06:09 AM.)
#2  
SirSigma's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 545
Posts: 1,390
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Your neighborhood parking lot
Wow, I feel like an idiot after solving this problem, but just so I can spare anybody else who has the same issue the trouble of going through this, I'll post what the solution was for me.

Unplug the tablet and disable USB debugging on the tablet first, then plug it back in and it'll be picked up as a generic cell phone by My Computer. Hope this helps somebody in the future. Heh...

Honestly, I really didn't think that would solve the problem, and I did search beforehand and found nothing of the sort telling me that doing just that would have fixed the problem.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes