Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,313 Members 47,458 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] Voodoo Sound for Transformer v1 for 3.0.1, 3.1. Feature requests and discussion

Tip us?

supercurio
Old
(Last edited by supercurio; 9th April 2012 at 10:34 PM.)
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 5,072

DONATE TO ME
Default [DEV] Voodoo Sound for Transformer v1 for 3.0.1, 3.1. Feature requests and discussion

Hi everyone!

Asus EeePad Transformer hosts a very nice audio codec by Wolfson that powers both the headphone and speaker output.
Its the ultra low power WM8903, implementing a midrange DAC (Wolfson-scale) that outputs a clean and musical signal, and my favorite Class W headphone amp, that gives a clean controlled and accurate output, and is able to drive full-size 300 Ohms headphones without distortion.

The transformer audio power stage is not as powerful as other device I tune so at maximum volume but I'm sure you'll be surprised by the capability of this amp if you compare it to any other mobile non-Voodoo device.
I might limit the maximum gain to +3dB to avoid saturation.

Voodoo sound is:

A control Android application

- Free version (semi broken on Honeycomb ATM, will fix soon): https://market.android.com/details?i...doo.controlapp
- Plus/Donate version: https://market.android.com/details?i...ntrolappdonate

Plus version gives the ability to get full Voodoo sound implementation without depending on a custom kernel. Root is required to load the additional driver.
Free version requires a kernel implementing Voodoo sound GPL patches as you'll find plenty on XDA.

Features of the v1 :

Quote:
I'll be very accurate and describe the exact change so far.
As usual, you get what you see.
What Voodoo sound driver v1 does on transformer is mapping volume to the headphone amplifier hardware control.

In the standard configuration, here is how it works: Most time only half or less of the Dynamic Range of the DAC is used (depending on the current output volume) by trimming the signal amplitude in a digital way.

What brings the driver v1 is a maximization of the digital volume, so the system works really on 16bit instead of 12 or even less at low volumes. And instead of that you control directly the analog gain of the Class W headphone amplifier built in the codec.
It allows to get more powerful sound, like to drive full-size high-impedance headphones at desired volumes, but for most people using sensitive headphones (same for in-ear) the sound is improved because there's far less hiss by reducing the analog gain.
When you reduce the noise level, the sound is more clear and defined.

I have some more leads in development for this codec, like:
- better oversampling quality (128x oversampling, require also clock reconfiguration on the SoC)
- alternative digital filter to reduce the very high frequency intensity ( > 20kHz) in order to reduce the listening fatigue.

WM8903 doesn't support digital effects like parametric EQ or 3D effect so I won't be able to activate that, but there's still some headroom to improve the quality and neutrality of the response, audiophile-style

Here are measurements I made without any modification, on 3.1:
http://supercurio.project-voodoo.org...roid%203_1.htm
Planned features

- Better SRS presets for the speakers
- Maybe some volume boost for speakers if possible with reasonable quality.
- If usable and providing sufficient quality: customizable EQ & 3D effect using SRS software engine for the Headphone out.
The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to supercurio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

supercurio
Old
(Last edited by supercurio; 20th June 2011 at 11:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5,072

DONATE TO ME
Screenshot of the first version, thanks jjsoviet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet View Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to supercurio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

berbecverde
Old
(Last edited by berbecverde; 20th June 2011 at 11:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 36
this looks great.

Digiguest
Old
Thanks Meter 28
SO its a better sound driver so to speak?

jjsoviet
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiguest View Post
Eyup.

Actually, it pains me to know that my Transformer now beats the crap out of my Zune HD in some areas, like soundstage and overall dynamics. Whatever voodoo hoodoo shmoodoo Supercurio's cooking on his kernel kitchen, I love it.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | G.Skill 8GB | OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

HTC Inspire 4G | JellyTime || Motorola Atrix 4G | CM10 Unofficial
Samsung Galaxy S II i777 | CM10 Kang || ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime | CM10 Nightlies
The Following User Says Thank You to jjsoviet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

supercurio
Old
Thanks Meter 5,072

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiguest View Post
Yes its an additional driver built around the existing one in order to use the audio hardware in the optimal way.

Most manufacturer are happy enough when their device output sounds, but in many case the result can be improved, sometimes vastly.
And I must say.. its particularly interesting when the audio hardware is made by Wolfson, because you know the result can probably reach audiophile-quality levels!

mmtoman
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 7
Will this also help the tf's speakers? I've beem ok wirh the headphones but not the speakers.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

chatch15117
Old
Thanks Meter 101
It says the free version is not compatible...
╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

supercurio
Old
Thanks Meter 5,072

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
It says the free version is not compatible...
Free version requires a custom kernel implementing Voodoo patches.
The first custom Kernel supporting Voodoo sound is this one, by Clemsyn! http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1109630

As stated in the description today the free App is semi broken (the manual volume slider crashes on Honeycomb, but the volume key mapping works)
I'm working on an update ATM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supercurio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danielsjam
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercurio View Post
Free version requires a custom kernel implementing Voodoo patches.
The first custom Kernel supporting Voodoo sound is this one, by Clemsyn! http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1109630

As stated in the description today the free App is semi broken (the manual volume slider crashes on Honeycomb, but the volume key mapping works)
I'm working on an update ATM.
Also say incompatible with the custom kernel installed.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk