Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,569 Members 44,516 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] TexTab [Updated: Released to Market!]

Tip us?

howettl
Old
(Last edited by howettl; 1st August 2011 at 04:09 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Default [APP] TexTab [Updated: Released to Market!]

Update: TexTab has been released in the market! Thanks to everyone who participated in the beta. Download links:

- Full Version
- Lite Version

TexTab is an SMS app for Android tablets. It allows you to connect your Android 2.1+ tablet to your Android 2.1+ phone over Bluetooth and send/receive SMS messages on your tablet as if you were sending them from your phone.
I've been working on this app for some time now and I feel that it is ready for public beta testing. I encourage everybody to download and install the app on both your phone and tablet, and please provide feedback here.

App Features:
- Honeycomb optimized, though not required
- Push menu button to connect devices via bluetooth, with option to select a device to automatically connect to in settings
- Conversation threads use your Google contact information to display contact info
- Widget with button to enable/disable service, and displays connection information

Known Bugs:
- Messages not saving to outbox on some devices
- Sometimes unable to connect from one device. Seems to fix after turning bluetooth off then on, on OTHER device.
- Delivery reports are not always reliable, when messages are sent or received very quickly
- Visual issues/ghosting when using Swype keyboard in portrait orientation
- Performance issues on Samsung Galaxy Tab 7"

Future Development/Requested Features:
- New layout for 7" tablets
- Wifi functionality for increased range
- UI improvements
- Option to sync contacts with phone rather than cloud
- Sync sms history with phone
- Option to mute phone notifications
- Mark incoming messages as "read" on phone
- Popup dialog on received message when app is not in foreground
- MMS support
- Ability to use existing SMS app (GoSMS, Handcent, etc) to send/receive messages on ANOTHER phone
- suggestions?

Installation and Use:
Download the attached zip file and extract it somewhere on your computer. Copy the extracted file, TexTab.apk, onto both of your devices. Find the .apk file using File Manager or your favourite file browser and run it on both devices to install. Once installed, you can access it like any other app, and you can long-press on the homescreen to add the widget.

Once in the app, push the menu button to connect to a paired bluetooth device. If your devices are not paired, simply make one of them discoverable using Menu Button > Make Discoverable and then on the other device use Menu Button > Connect a Device > Scan for Devices to pair the two devices and establish a connection.

Once a connection is established, the devices should show their proper views. If not, click the settings button and change the Device Type. Under settings, you can also select the option to automatically connect to a paired device on startup. You can also enable or disable the bluetooth service under settings, or by using the button on the widget.

To send a message, either type a phone number into the Phone Number... field, or tap the Send To... button to choose a contact from the cloud. Type the message in the Enter a Message... field and tap send. Received messages will automatically show up as long as the app is enabled.

I look forward to any feedback/bug reports/praise/insults you may have!

Changelog:
See attached text file
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P20110626155515.png
Views:	7315
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	637967   Click image for larger version

Name:	P20110626155536.jpg
Views:	6333
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	637968   Click image for larger version

Name:	P20110626155628.jpg
Views:	6301
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	637969   Click image for larger version

Name:	P20110626161420.png
Views:	4400
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	637970  
Attached Files
File Type: txt changelog.txt - [Click for QR Code] (4.9 KB, 389 views)
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to howettl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

foethalove
Old
(Last edited by foethalove; 21st June 2011 at 06:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
This sounds awesome! Thanks a lot man.

Could you maybe throw up some instructions for everyone...

Edit: works great so far. Looking foward to the updates!

howettl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
I updated the OP with installation and usage instructions. Let me know if they're not clear!
The Following User Says Thank You to howettl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bootsie99
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Cant wait to give this a try! Awesome

wingman1487
Old
(Last edited by wingman1487; 21st June 2011 at 03:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Will deffinately try this, sounds like what I've been looking for!
You say Future Development for WiFi, 2 ways I could suggest to have that.
1) If the tab is tethered to the phone for data (this is how I get my WiFi only tab to have data at work)
2) If they are on the same WiFi network, say I'm at home. Phone is connected to home WiFi and tab is connected to home WiFi.
Just some thoughts

*Edit*
Ok, tried it out and thats pretty cool! I like how the message shows up on the phone and the tab. Is there a way to pull down recient conversations (say from the last 24 hours) incase you wanted to continue a previous conversation? Also, if read on the tab or phone, could it show read on the other device?
Phone: HTC Verizon Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon
ROM: 4.4.2 Sense 6.0 | NuSenseSIX | KitKat
The Following User Says Thank You to wingman1487 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

howettl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman1487 View Post
If they are on the same WiFi network, say I'm at home. Phone is connected to home WiFi and tab is connected to home WiFi.
This is exactly how the wifi support will work. It will still require the connect to device step, but the range will be limited by your wifi network rather than your phones bluetooth signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman1487 View Post
Is there a way to pull down recient conversations (say from the last 24 hours) incase you wanted to continue a previous conversation? Also, if read on the tab or phone, could it show read on the other device?
I've toyed with the idea of syncing sms history with a contact, unfortunately though any operations which involve using sms history are unsupported in the Android SDK and could break my app in the future. Marking a message as read is subject to the same problem. I'll look into it some more.

I appreciate the feedback, keep it coming!

Fisken
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I wanna suggest something, look at the app called texter, and the chrome app, then take a look have they work. They work by signing in on your google account on an app on the android phone, and the signing in at the same account on chrome, npw you can sms from chrome throw your phone and recive them, no matter where your phone is, it just need 3g connetion. This is like chrometophone. If you could get it working in this way it would be awsome! And the ofc still the bluetooth or something other when the tab not have internet connection :)

cekle
Old
(Last edited by cekle; 21st June 2011 at 07:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Loving this app so far, just wanted to report a bug. When a new contact sends a text, it seems to duplicate the view of prior conversations. I have one conversation that's up to three alternate views!

Edit: After a reboot, the duplicates disappeared.
The Following User Says Thank You to cekle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

howettl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisken View Post
npw you can sms from chrome throw your phone and recive them, no matter where your phone is, it just need 3g connetion.
I will look into this, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekle View Post
When a new contact sends a text, it seems to duplicate the view of prior conversations. I have one conversation that's up to three alternate views!
Thanks, added it to the list. As a temporary fix, tapping the settings button and then tapping back will reload the contacts list and they should disappear.

cekle
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Also I can't seem to delete conversations by long pressing. Is there another way?

Tags
apps, honeycomb, sms