[APP] TexTab [Updated: Released to Market!]
Update: TexTab has been released in the market! Thanks to everyone who participated in the beta. Download links:
- Full Version
- Lite Version
TexTab is an SMS app for Android tablets. It allows you to connect your Android 2.1+ tablet to your Android 2.1+ phone over Bluetooth and send/receive SMS messages on your tablet as if you were sending them from your phone.
I've been working on this app for some time now and I feel that it is ready for public beta testing. I encourage everybody to download and install the app on both your phone and tablet, and please provide feedback here.
- Honeycomb optimized, though not required
- Push menu button to connect devices via bluetooth, with option to select a device to automatically connect to in settings
- Conversation threads use your Google contact information to display contact info
- Widget with button to enable/disable service, and displays connection information
- Messages not saving to outbox on some devices
- Sometimes unable to connect from one device. Seems to fix after turning bluetooth off then on, on OTHER device.
- Delivery reports are not always reliable, when messages are sent or received very quickly
- Visual issues/ghosting when using Swype keyboard in portrait orientation
- Performance issues on Samsung Galaxy Tab 7"
Future Development/Requested Features
- New layout for 7" tablets
- Wifi functionality for increased range
- UI improvements
- Option to sync contacts with phone rather than cloud
- Sync sms history with phone
- Option to mute phone notifications
- Mark incoming messages as "read" on phone
- Popup dialog on received message when app is not in foreground
- MMS support
- Ability to use existing SMS app (GoSMS, Handcent, etc) to send/receive messages on ANOTHER phone
Installation and Use
Download the attached zip file and extract it somewhere on your computer. Copy the extracted file, TexTab.apk, onto both of your devices. Find the .apk file using File Manager or your favourite file browser and run it on both devices to install. Once installed, you can access it like any other app, and you can long-press on the homescreen to add the widget.
Once in the app, push the menu button to connect to a paired bluetooth device. If your devices are not paired, simply make one of them discoverable using Menu Button > Make Discoverable and then on the other device use Menu Button > Connect a Device > Scan for Devices to pair the two devices and establish a connection.
Once a connection is established, the devices should show their proper views. If not, click the settings button and change the Device Type. Under settings, you can also select the option to automatically connect to a paired device on startup. You can also enable or disable the bluetooth service under settings, or by using the button on the widget.
To send a message, either type a phone number into the Phone Number... field, or tap the Send To... button to choose a contact from the cloud. Type the message in the Enter a Message... field and tap send. Received messages will automatically show up as long as the app is enabled.
I look forward to any feedback/bug reports/praise/insults you may have!
See attached text file