Ask a question

No registration required

Next Atrix Bootloader is UNLOCKABLE

OP eval-

23rd June 2011, 01:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 333

227 posts
As you've probably seen, the2dCour has a very tasty morsel of what's to come for us all. He's one of the many great people in #moto-atrix, including Jug6, Edgan, Sogarth, unknown, Brandon15811, and helpful friends, Pauly, dasmoover, cranch, YellowGTO and more, who have been helping me poke at the Atrix for many weeks. Also, if I know anything at all (I don't) it's thanks to [mbm] and Skrilax and xvilka and the others who implemented the hard work of 2nd init and kexec and beat their head against Motorola's signature chain on the previous generation of phones.

But our biggest thanks go to Motorola. A very friendly 'community-minded engineer' at Motorola posted an interesting message in hex on their support forums yesterday. Turns out, maybe it's no joke after all.
(http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1134786)

This got me to thinking. I was already looking through some of the ascii / hex of the bootloaders. Search for VOID and you'll find something completely new in the HKTW (Hong Kong / Taiwan) build, which is not in the CGs for any prior Atrix bootloader:

Code:
$ strings CG42.img | grep INFO
INFOUnlocking your device can permanently VOID your warranty.
INFOThis process cannot be reversed.  If you wish to proceed,
INFOreissue the unlock OEM command containing the unique ID
INFOof your device:
On Edgan's engineering phone, the HKTW build enables a command you may all be familiar with:

fastboot oem unlock

It looks as if it asks you to issue the command twice, after giving you a unique ID (based on your phone) you must enter in. Surrounding parts of the CG suggest this will wipe your userdata much like a "fastboot -w" currently does. Our hypothesis about the fuses may also be backwards, and it is unlocking which burns a fuse, thus making this an operation which "cannot be reversed."

So, I think we can all look forward to Gingerbread's release for many reasons!!!

PS. Beyond voiding the warranty, or access to support, such an operation could potentially make your phone ineligible for OTAs, future retail .sbfs, etc... and we do not yet know which carriers will get it. So don't get TOO excited :-p

PPS. If this is headed to the official release, I'd like to give a HUGE thanks to Irwin Proud and all the others who petitioned Motorola to make this happen!
But there's no time to rest. Now we must pressure all the carriers!
Last edited by eval-; 23rd June 2011 at 04:50 PM.
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to eval- For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2011, 01:45 AM   |  #2  
Retired Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 3,800

2,701 posts
Donate to Me
More
Confirmed working for AT&T users!! Eval emailed me the good news this morning, so we tried it on leaked GB for the Atrix 4G on AT&T.

http://briefmobile.com/exclusive-atr...oid-2-3-update

I tested it out on my Gingerbread beta builds.
Last edited by kennethpenn; 23rd June 2011 at 05:20 AM.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to kennethpenn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2011, 01:46 AM   |  #3  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 102

301 posts
More
This is excellent news everyone.

Be patient, we need to see if this update hits all our devices, but when it does, I guarantee there will be no shortage of Roms and Mods that will come as a result.

I actually think Motorola may see a spike in sales when 2.3.3 hits their Atrix phones.

Thank you everyone who showed your support for the Unlock Motorola campaign and went out of their way to make their voices heard. Together we stand and together we claim victory.

Thank you Motorola.
Last edited by ikenley; 23rd June 2011 at 06:32 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikenley For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2011, 01:47 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 157

963 posts
More
Intresting
23rd June 2011, 01:48 AM   |  #5  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 362

503 posts
Yay!

Of course, the question becomes... what next?
23rd June 2011, 01:51 AM   |  #6  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 333

227 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogarth

Yay!

Of course, the question becomes... what next?

Now that Moto's on our side I will (proudly) use my lapdock. How's your awesome Webtop2SD with my mknod sdcard hack going?

But yes, someone must do the much more time-consuming work of porting CM or other AOSP forks. And we have to pray AT&T lets this happen...
23rd June 2011, 01:52 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 5

54 posts
eval- 4 president
The Following User Says Thank You to chria01 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2011, 01:54 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1,419

650 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by eval-

But yes, someone must do the much more time-consuming work of porting CM or other AOSP forks. And we have to pray AT&T lets this happen...

When this happens, I WILL pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming!!
23rd June 2011, 02:44 AM   |  #9  
Flag Spring Hill fl
Thanks Meter: 117

1,088 posts
More
If Bell, lets say, got this and at&t didn't, would we be able to somehow port it?

Swyped from my HoneyGlowed Atrix
23rd June 2011, 02:48 AM   |  #10  
Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 45

350 posts
More
Way to guy team This kicks ass!

P.S. the2d is a troll..but a damn good one.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread