5,597,007 Members 47,698 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Next Atrix Bootloader is UNLOCKABLE

Tip us?

eval-
Old
(Last edited by eval-; 23rd June 2011 at 03:50 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 329
Smile Next Atrix Bootloader is UNLOCKABLE

As you've probably seen, the2dCour has a very tasty morsel of what's to come for us all. He's one of the many great people in #moto-atrix, including Jug6, Edgan, Sogarth, unknown, Brandon15811, and helpful friends, Pauly, dasmoover, cranch, YellowGTO and more, who have been helping me poke at the Atrix for many weeks. Also, if I know anything at all (I don't) it's thanks to [mbm] and Skrilax and xvilka and the others who implemented the hard work of 2nd init and kexec and beat their head against Motorola's signature chain on the previous generation of phones.

But our biggest thanks go to Motorola. A very friendly 'community-minded engineer' at Motorola posted an interesting message in hex on their support forums yesterday. Turns out, maybe it's no joke after all.
(http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1134786)

This got me to thinking. I was already looking through some of the ascii / hex of the bootloaders. Search for VOID and you'll find something completely new in the HKTW (Hong Kong / Taiwan) build, which is not in the CGs for any prior Atrix bootloader:

Code:
$ strings CG42.img | grep INFO
INFOUnlocking your device can permanently VOID your warranty.
INFOThis process cannot be reversed.  If you wish to proceed,
INFOreissue the unlock OEM command containing the unique ID
INFOof your device:
On Edgan's engineering phone, the HKTW build enables a command you may all be familiar with:

fastboot oem unlock

It looks as if it asks you to issue the command twice, after giving you a unique ID (based on your phone) you must enter in. Surrounding parts of the CG suggest this will wipe your userdata much like a "fastboot -w" currently does. Our hypothesis about the fuses may also be backwards, and it is unlocking which burns a fuse, thus making this an operation which "cannot be reversed."

So, I think we can all look forward to Gingerbread's release for many reasons!!!

PS. Beyond voiding the warranty, or access to support, such an operation could potentially make your phone ineligible for OTAs, future retail .sbfs, etc... and we do not yet know which carriers will get it. So don't get TOO excited :-p

PPS. If this is headed to the official release, I'd like to give a HUGE thanks to Irwin Proud and all the others who petitioned Motorola to make this happen!
But there's no time to rest. Now we must pressure all the carriers!
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to eval- For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kennethpenn
Old
(Last edited by kennethpenn; 23rd June 2011 at 04:20 AM.)
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3780

DONATE TO ME
Confirmed working for AT&T users!! Eval emailed me the good news this morning, so we tried it on leaked GB for the Atrix 4G on AT&T.

http://briefmobile.com/exclusive-atr...oid-2-3-update

I tested it out on my Gingerbread beta builds.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to kennethpenn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ikenley
Old
(Last edited by ikenley; 23rd June 2011 at 05:32 AM.)
Thanks Meter 95
This is excellent news everyone.

Be patient, we need to see if this update hits all our devices, but when it does, I guarantee there will be no shortage of Roms and Mods that will come as a result.

I actually think Motorola may see a spike in sales when 2.3.3 hits their Atrix phones.

Thank you everyone who showed your support for the Unlock Motorola campaign and went out of their way to make their voices heard. Together we stand and together we claim victory.

Thank you Motorola.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikenley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xredjokerx
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Intresting
Currently running: Galaxy Note II

If you don't have drop box, please help me out and use my referral link http://db.tt/XJuRP3T

Sogarth
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 362
Yay!

Of course, the question becomes... what next?
Currently playing with:
  • Samsung Note II (N-7100)
  • Sony Smartwatch (MN2SW)
Currently pondering:
  • Ways to provide e-mail access to non-root programs

eval-
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogarth View Post
Yay!

Of course, the question becomes... what next?
Now that Moto's on our side I will (proudly) use my lapdock. How's your awesome Webtop2SD with my mknod sdcard hack going?

But yes, someone must do the much more time-consuming work of porting CM or other AOSP forks. And we have to pray AT&T lets this happen...

chria01
Old
Thanks Meter 5
eval- 4 president
The Following User Says Thank You to chria01 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

minooch
Old
Thanks Meter 1416

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by eval- View Post
But yes, someone must do the much more time-consuming work of porting CM or other AOSP forks. And we have to pray AT&T lets this happen...
When this happens, I WILL pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming!!

Sinful Animosity
Old
Thanks Meter 117
If Bell, lets say, got this and at&t didn't, would we be able to somehow port it?

Swyped from my HoneyGlowed Atrix
Current Gems:
Atrix HD
HTC Hd2
Mytouch 4g slide
HP TouchPad

cranch
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Way to guy team This kicks ass!

P.S. the2d is a troll..but a damn good one.