Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,441 Members 43,633 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is 100% real, The Acer official 3.1 Has come!

Tip us?

Tam the Bam
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fachex View Post
I read the entire forum and I just want to add my experience.
So far this ROM has improved the performance of my machine several times better. It was going through a lot of lag before but now it seems much smoother.
1. I did not loose the gmail widget and I was able to re-size with no problem.
2.I edit a video with the new video editor flawlessly
3. Videos (gmail rental videos app works fine now)
4. Rooted and Recovery was possible now (I could not do it in previous ROM)
5. The auto brightness seems to be working now
6. GPS works much better and faster and Maps so far has not FC.

Overall, I am very pleased.
I certainly concur with all of the above statements from fachex. I initially had some problems with the install, such as no Gmail widget, etc. but and doing a full wipe and re-install evrything is fine. I have even got bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse support.

The secret is probably to read and understand all the blurb before trying anything in terms of rooting and recovery. If I can do it, anybody can!

The only niggle I have is that the picture frame widget sometimes comes up as 2x2 and other times comes up as 3x3. Not really a problem but I can't help thinking that there must be a bit of code in there somewhere that can be altered. I am too old and not clever enough to do this but I'm sure there are many of you brilliant guys on this forum who could help here.

A challange for someone?

Tam the Bam

SanFrancisco
Old
(Last edited by SanFrancisco; 29th June 2011 at 02:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Thumbs up FWIW - Here is my testing of 3.1

OK, for anyone reading this post instead of all the thread comments (there is a lot), check my earlier post on the how-to on installing this update to 3.1. NOTE: I do NOT have a rooted Acer.

I have had the update installed about an hour now and here's my initial comments (aka "testing").

-- This is legit. The "Chinese" leaked 3.1 version is fine. But if getting it from a mirror (because if you are like me, I don't read Chinese) make sure the site is legit (best way, a senior member is posting the link and it has not been hijacked).

-- The install took all of five minutes and went smooth. Once you power up the Acer to the boot menu the update file is detected and it's "automatic." You don't have to do a thing.

-- You know the install is going fine if you see the little Android guy, the animated progress bar and the curved arrow and box/package graphic.

-- Although when the process is done it will boot to your home page (which indicates nothing has changed, your files and settings should have remained intact), I suggest you turn the Acer completely off, then on again.

-- As I did, check "About" in your Settings to confirm that it says "3.1" in your Version.

-- So far I have tested the following and all works:

Browser

WiFi

Bluetooth (Connected my stereo headset without incident. Settings were the same as before the update.)

Weather (local) - Animated because I have an app called "Beautiful Widgets, which I highly recommend.

I went to teamcoco.com and played flash files (Conan O'Brien's show).

Speakers: I don't know how software would make a difference, but the internal speakers sound way better than before the update.

3.5 mm audio jack works fine.

An optical mouse now works via the USB port, it did not before.

microSD chip recognized and I played a DVD-converted movie file, worked perfect.

GPS activated, works perfect

Angry Birds Rio looks great (it did before) and now the sound is superb.

USB 2.0 port: connected thumb drive, works. Connected USB keyboard (Logitech), works.

Can't rave enough at how great the speakers sound now. Not sure how they did it, but guess the 3.0 audio drivers must have been deficient or not optimized to take full advantage of the speakers. (My Dolby Eq. settings were the same before and after the update, do it's not that the equalizer settings changed without my knowing about it.)

Well, hope that helps in your decision.

WARNING: Make sure your battery is fully charged when performing the update.

SanFrancisco
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-control View Post
does it recognyse the external SD when browsing with PC?
Not sure what you are asking here. But my tests:

ALL ports on the Acer work, the same as before I performed the update.

microSD card recognized and video played FROM the chip.

USB 2.0 port works - thumb drive and external keyboard both worked.

PC connection with microUSB cable, Acer recognized and files accessed.

ninjaw
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
Not sure what you are asking here. But my tests:

ALL ports on the Acer work, the same as before I performed the update.
I know what he means and no, that strange SD behavior (not accessible, not usable by apps in the usual way) didn't change.

z-control
Old
Thanks Meter 10
yes, what i mean is when i connect the a500 to the pc with usb cable, windows doesn't see the external sd card !

SanFrancisco
Old
(Last edited by SanFrancisco; 29th June 2011 at 01:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-control View Post
yes, what i mean is when i connect the a500 to the pc with usb cable, windows doesn't see the external sd card !
OK, now I got it.

While the Acer sees the microSD card and USB storage I have connected (via the USB port), connecting the Acer to my PC, Windows Explorer only sees the internal storage, and not the two other media connected to the Acer.

I don't think that's supported by the tablet, not sure why.

Since I have not seen that functionality I don't think it's a defect on our machines, it's an Acer thing. But I don't know for sure. Guess I'll have to check with Acer.

Note: Because I assume that using a device as a drive to transfer files will always be way slower than using a thumb drive, I have always removed the microSD chip from the device and used the thumb drive. So that's why I don't really care about the cable connection access. But that could be handy for small files. Guess the workaround is to transfer files to the internal storage then move them to the SD chip if one needs the files on the microSD card.

SanFrancisco
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default External Mouse Now Works Too

Forgot to mention, before when I connected an external mouse to the USB port the mouse did not function.

With this update, the mouse now works.

When you connect a mouse the arrow cursor appears on the screen.

You can then point and click just like on your computer! (I even played Angry Birds Rio with the mouse, almost easier to play than with a finger.)

If you disconnect the mouse, the arrow cursor disappears. Reconnect, it appears.

All in all a cool feature, IMHO.

VoodooBOB
Old
Thanks Meter 0
@ahernandez4110 & @ahernandez4110

Ahh, cool. Thanks for checking
Phones: SE-Xperia X10i (JB 4.1.2 Custom CM10)
Phones: Samsung Galaxy S2 32GB White (Official JB 4.1.2)
Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 32GB White (CM10.1 Nightly Builds)
Tablets: Acer Iconia A500 (Thor Custom CM10.1 JB 4.2.2)

culmor30
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hm. I'm about to install this anyway, but what do you guys suppose is going to happen when the official update is released? Will we be able to use it (because, if they're delaying it, something worthwhile must be different from this version)?

Lectruck
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Official 3.1 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by culmor30 View Post
Hm. I'm about to install this anyway, but what do you guys suppose is going to happen when the official update is released? Will we be able to use it (because, if they're delaying it, something worthwhile must be different from this version)?
Since you can Install it and unInstall it, root it and unroot it, what do you have to lose.

If Acer keeps working on the version and it changes and is improved we can alway get it also.

It sure is an exciting time in the old towne tonight!!!!

Good job, everyone! It sure look like things are picking up in the Acer camp!