Gingerbreak for Froyo (2.2.x)
1. First you will need to be able to load non-market APKs you have two options to do this.
A) Update your phone to the latest version Froyo 2.2.2 (some people have had some issues check the thread on that).
B) Go to your dialer, type 3845#*505#[Phoenix] or "3845#*506#"[Thrive] then scroll down to "Unknown Sources Test" and check the box
2. Download the APK from the following link:
(I emailed the link to myself to make it so I didnt have to browse to it)
Note* it i will yell about not knowing what to do with that kind of download but just ignore it and download it anyways
3. Use a file explore (I used ES file Explore) to search for the newly downloaded APK I'm sure someone out there knows exactly where it downloads to but I couldn't find it easily though I can tell you its on the SDcard.
4. Run the APK
5. Turn on USB Debug mode (Settings>Application>Development)
6. Go to your Apps and run Gingerbreak
7. Click the root button
8. Let the phone do its thing (it will reboot)
9. Reboot the phone manually to make sure the root took and you didn't end up with a temp root
If all went well you have a fully rooted phone.
Here is the link to the original XDA site I recommend reading it over (at least the first post) so you understand what is going on.
[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers
If anyone notices an issue with any of the steps here please let me know and I will update them.
Also thanks go to kingv10 for pointing out the secrete code for us.
Superone click for Gingerbread 2.3.4
This method will probably work both gingerbread and froyo but I have not tested it on Froyo. The orginal post I copied from can be found at:
I recommend you read the page but for those of you who won't here is the rundown on how to root.
1. Connect your phone to the PC with USB Debugging enabled. You can enable it by going to Settings>Applications>Development and ensure that USB Debugging is checked. You will need to have installed the USB drivers for your phone. You should already have these if you upgraded to 2.3.4.
2. Download the rooting zip package and extract the contents to a folder in your PC. Let the folder be named as “root”
3. In the extracted folder, go to ADB folder and start cmd7.exe (for Windows 7 users) or cmdxp.exe (for Windows XP users). You need to run as Administrator.
4. In Command Prompt, type the following commands:
Now the symbol should change to “$” or “#”.
Enter the following command
echo 1 > /data/local/lge_adb.conf
5. Reboot your phone.
6. Go to the "root" folder again and run Superoneclick.exe
7. In Superone click, find the methods drop down box (right side), select Gingerbreak and then click the Root button.
8. Reboot again
Now you should be rooted