Case Mate For Evo 3d?

Search This thread

#Winning#

May 20, 2010
ICT, Kansas
Just wanted to see if anyone has any of the Case Mate series cases for the Evo 3d? I was thinking about getting the Tough case, but from a video review on youtube, the case apparently has a random port on the bottom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mskLfmXEh0Y

Where I have found them online:

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=28094#section10

http://www.wirelessground.com/htc-e...3d-case-mate-tough-case-black&channelid=FROOG

Currently have the Defender, but DAMN its bulky :(

HTCRALEIGHFAN

Aug 14, 2010
i have a casemate and i have been using this badboy since sept! i use this on my evo 4g over my seidio rugged! and i am rough on my ph and dropping it and this casemate is tough! also slides in and out of a pant pocket real good!

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

#Winning#

May 20, 2010
ICT, Kansas
i have a casemate and i have been using this badboy since sept! i use this on my evo 4g over my seidio rugged! and i am rough on my ph and dropping it and this casemate is tough! also slides in and out of a pant pocket real good!

Maybe I will have to reconsider, I would still like to see some more people weigh in. I have the OB Defender right now, and its excellent protection wise just a bit bulky...

thorpe24

Feb 17, 2010
The convert from seidio/BB is pretty awesome two good cases plus a nice clip. This is until I can get the ballistic case

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

po96od

Jun 21, 2011
I have the Tough Case, just delivered today. It's similar in design to the Otterbox Commuter -- a thin silicone base layer covers the entire phone, while a hard plastic shell snaps around the back, sides and corners.

Pros: The fit is absolutely perfect. The silicone layer over the buttons is just the right thickness -- the power, volume and camera buttons are all covered, but their function is not impeded in the slightest. I was particularly delighted by how well the camera button works, no interference with function or sensitivity at all.

Around the front edge, the silicone layer rises a few millimeters above the screen, so you can comfortably place the phone face down without worrying about scratching the glass. Similarly, the camera lenses and flash are deeply recessed on the back, with perfectly sized openings around each (which, IMO, is how the lenses should've been on the phone itself). You can drag your phone across concrete with no worries, if that's the kind of thing you're into.

The hard plastic outer layer has a smooth matte coating that makes it feel more like silicone than hard plastic, giving it a very nice feel in the hand. It's also covered with a raised, textured pattern, making the phone very unlikely to slip out of your hand. By contrast, the Otterbox Commuter I briefly had on my Hero had a plastic outer shell that was slick and shiny, and the phone slipped out of my hand twice within the two days I left it on (which is why I used it only briefly).

Cons: My only real complaints are aesthetic. I really like the slim, refined look of this phone, and the grippy, textured, matte black surface of this case, while very protective and easy to hang on to, is a tad inelegant, giving the phone more of an industrial feel. It also adds a bit of bulk, which was immediately noticeable when I pocketed the phone with it on (although I will say it's positively svelte compared to some of the other cases I've seen pictured on this forum). The phone does also feel noticeably heavier with this case on.

In response to the OP, the case does have a couple of mysterious ports at the bottom. One lines up with the slot you use to pry the battery cover off, while a smaller one lines up with a tiny hole just to the left of the other (edit: duh! that's the mike, thanks minieod). I don't know why those are there, but they don't do any harm.

Overall, I'd say thumbs up. If you like the basic design of Otterbox cases but want something slimmer than the Defender and easier to hold than the Commuter, this is probably your best choice.

Last edited:

neodorian

Dec 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I have the casemate "barely there" case on my OG Evo. I have been using it since shortly after launch and it has been just the right amount of protection without adding a lot of bulk. I keep my phone in a pocket with nothing else so that case helps with day to day wear and more importantly it makes it so the camera glass doesn't touch the table when the phone is laying on its back.

I am thinking of picking up an Evo 3d for my girlfriend in order to replace her dying palm Pre but she is pretty rough on phones. She drops hers a lot and throws it in her purse with keys and change and stuff. The thought of getting her a "glass slab" style phone frightens me. I will probably pick up a barely-there case for the Evo 3d if I get it for her. It's weird that they don't list them on their site but that mobilecity site seems to have them in a few colors for $15. That's a good price IMO and my last one came with a free screen protector. Hopefully that will be enough to protect her phone.

I guess I can also cancel the insurance on my Evo and move it to her 3d if I get it since my account is due for upgrade and hers won't be for two years if i get her the 3d.

minieod

Jun 24, 2010
San Diego, CA
The case does have a couple of mysterious ports at the bottom. One lines up with the slot you use to pry the battery cover off, while a smaller one lines up with a tiny hole just to the left of the other. I don't know why those are there, but they don't do any harm.

that "mysterious hole" on the left of the phone you'll want to remain uncovered --- unless you'd rather not talk to anyone ---- thats the microphone

other than that i totally agree with you on the case - i got it at the sprint store and i LOVE it

i had the TPU case from the user who posted on here earlier in june (forgot your username sorry!) and sold them on tpu-cases.com or something like that... it was 8 bucks shipped, and great quality for tpu

but i tried this on when i was waiting at the store picking up my moms evo3d for her bday gift.... and decided to get the case-mate tough, and give her my tpu one

the casemate tough is sleek....i dont agree with po96 on the "inelegant" , because its pretty similar to the style of the battery cover on the 3d....

i like it a lot, and it feels very solid and protected....

i used to use the otterbox commuter on my evo4g and loved it, but i really hated the new design for the 3d....

#Winning#

May 20, 2010
ICT, Kansas
that "mysterious hole" on the left of the phone you'll want to remain uncovered --- unless you'd rather not talk to anyone ---- thats the microphone

other than that i totally agree with you on the case - i got it at the sprint store and i LOVE it

i had the TPU case from the user who posted on here earlier in june (forgot your username sorry!) and sold them on tpu-cases.com or something like that... it was 8 bucks shipped, and great quality for tpu

but i tried this on when i was waiting at the store picking up my moms evo3d for her bday gift.... and decided to get the case-mate tough, and give her my tpu one

the casemate tough is sleek....i dont agree with po96 on the "inelegant" , because its pretty similar to the style of the battery cover on the 3d....

i like it a lot, and it feels very solid and protected....

i used to use the otterbox commuter on my evo4g and loved it, but i really hated the new design for the 3d....

PMed you, guess you might not have noticed. Anyways has anyone else seen these in a Sprint Store? I didn't see one at mine but maybe he was at a non-corporate store?

minieod

Jun 24, 2010
San Diego, CA
PMed you, guess you might not have noticed. Anyways has anyone else seen these in a Sprint Store? I didn't see one at mine but maybe he was at a non-corporate store?

hey sorry, my PM notifications are not working i guess

i am going to take some pics of mine now and post here

(note: these pics were taken on an Evo3D)

http://imgur.com/a/cCdel

Last edited:
Reactions: #Winning#

minieod

Jun 24, 2010
San Diego, CA
I guess I can also cancel the insurance on my Evo and move it to her 3d if I get it since my account is due for upgrade and hers won't be for two years if i get her the 3d.

get the 3d on her plan...swap the 3d to your number, and your evo to hers....at that time you both have two new activated phones...both are now eligible for the TEP

also, now you will have a 3d

po96od

Jun 21, 2011
minieod, nice pics. I was meaning to post some, but you were way more completist about it than I would've been. :)

mrazzino

Jul 2, 2010
I have the Tough Case, just delivered today. It's similar in design to the Otterbox Commuter -- a thin silicone base layer covers the entire phone, while a hard plastic shell snaps around the back, sides and corners.

Pros: The fit is absolutely perfect. The silicone layer over the buttons is just the right thickness -- the power, volume and camera buttons are all covered, but their function is not impeded in the slightest. I was particularly delighted by how well the camera button works, since the TPU case I was initially using basically disabled it.

Around the front edge, the silicone layer rises a few millimeters above the screen, so you can comfortably place the phone face down without worrying about scratching the glass. Similarly, the camera lenses and flash are deeply recessed on the back, with perfectly sized openings around each (which, IMO, is how the lenses should've been on the phone itself). You can drag your phone across concrete with no worries, if that's the kind of thing you're into.

The hard plastic outer layer has a smooth matte coating that makes it feel more like silicone than hard plastic, giving it a very nice feel in the hand. It's also covered with a raised, textured pattern, making the phone very unlikely to slip out of your hand. By contrast, the Otterbox Commuter I briefly had on my Hero had a plastic outer shell that was slick and shiny, and the phone slipped out of my hand twice within the two days I left it on (which is why I used it only briefly).

Cons: My only real complaints are aesthetic. I really like the slim, refined look of this phone, and the grippy, textured, matte black surface of this case, while very protective and easy to hang on to, is a tad inelegant, giving the phone more of an industrial feel. It also adds a bit of bulk, which was immediately noticeable when I pocketed the phone with it on (although I will say it's positively svelte compared to some of the other cases I've seen pictured on this forum). The phone does also feel noticeably heavier with this case on.

In response to the OP, the case does have a couple of mysterious ports at the bottom. One lines up with the slot you use to pry the battery cover off, while a smaller one lines up with a tiny hole just to the left of the other (edit: duh! that's the mike, thanks minieod). I don't know why those are there, but they don't do any harm.

Overall, I'd say thumbs up. If you like the basic design of Otterbox cases but want something slimmer than the Defender and easier to hold than the Commuter, this is probably your best choice.

So sounds like you like it better than the Otterbox. I am currently using the Commuter and love the feel of it (didn't feel slippery to me, has a nice texture) but hate the gap at the top. I am getting a new silicone layer from Otterbox to see if that one fits better. I think I might order the Tough Case as well and compare the two. Overall would you say its thinner than the Commuter?

I wish I could find the Tough Case in stores to give it a test before purchasing. I hate having to buy online and pay return costs for shipping if I don't like it but I guess that's what I'll have to do.

*update* Just ordered a Tough Case. There is a 20% off code for their online store: CM06-SP20. The online store has free shipping to US addresses and didn't charge me tax, so $28 total for the tough case (originally $35). Not bad! If I don't like it I can just pay return shipping. I might just keep it for a backup.

Last edited:

minieod

Jun 24, 2010
San Diego, CA
So sounds like you like it better than the Otterbox. I am currently using the Commuter and love the feel of it (didn't feel slippery to me, has a nice texture) but hate the gap at the top. I am getting a new silicone layer from Otterbox to see if that one fits better. I think I might order the Tough Case as well and compare the two. Overall would you say its thinner than the Commuter?

I wish I could find the Tough Case in stores to give it a test before purchasing. I hate having to buy online and pay return costs for shipping if I don't like it but I guess that's what I'll have to do.

*update* Just ordered a Tough Case. There is a 20% off code for their online store: CM06-SP20. The online store has free shipping to US addresses and didn't charge me tax, so $28 total for the tough case (originally $35). Not bad! If I don't like it I can just pay return shipping. I might just keep it for a backup.

eep - its on amazon for $30 + free shipping (which is free returns)

Chuck_IV

Jan 1, 2009
Connecticut
Anyone know if either the tough case or the barely there case will fit into the belt holster for the Seido Surface case(aka the plaitunum case at Best Buy)?

I'm currently using a TPU case in the Platinum holster because I like the added camera area coverage of the TPU case. I just hate the camera button covering of the TPU case.

The Case Mate cases look great but I really need a belt clip with them.

HTCRALEIGHFAN

Aug 14, 2010
the wifes casemate shipped yesterday and will be here this weekend ill toss up pics

Top Liked Posts