5,594,282 Members 43,047 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wifi problem on 3.1

Tip us?

bpivk
Old
(Last edited by bpivk; 4th July 2011 at 08:18 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Default Wifi problem on 3.1

I've just stumbled upon an interesting problem.

My tablet couldn't connect on ANY wifi network unless I entered the IP manually (I have checked on my router an my phone using it as a wifi hotspot). DHCP just didn't work and the tablet was stuck at "obtaining IP adress". The odd thing is that even the bars that show the network strength went from 5 full bars to 1 bar.

It was odd since wifi was on and it worked fine until I charged my tablet. I didn't do anything in between and reset didn't help. What worked in the end was deleting the dhcpd-wlan0.lease under /data/misc/dhcp.

Could anyone point me to the problem or an error that caused this because I'm a little afraid that it wasn't just a one time thing and that it could happen again.

Edit: Oh yeah I almost forgot. My router was acting up (my PC that is connected via cable was losing internet connection). Could it be that it was the router that messed up dhcpd-wlan0.lease and broke my Iconia?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bpivk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sanaell
Old
(Last edited by sanaell; 24th June 2011 at 03:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 68
oh, that happen to me. I reset factory and all came back....
I hope that not a problem will happen again....

Maybe a clue.
I went to work with the tablet, connected to the internet who have a different IP 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.1.1
Maybe that screw the files because my other tablet didn't move from home and didn't get the problem.
My 4Shared Folder

Acer Iconia A500:
download qrcode
link: firmware, utilities, root

Acer Liquid Metal S120:
download qrcode
link: firmware
The Following User Says Thank You to sanaell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bpivk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
I'll write a script in Tasker to remove the data periodically if it happens again but I hope that it won't.

I don't like doing factory resets because that literally means a day of work fixing my tablet to my standards again.

godashram
Old
Thanks Meter 11
i'm having the same issue... have a massive wifi network at work and the access point is 10 feet away and the signal jumps around and will not connect

bpivk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Just delete the file I've listed and it will work if you're experiencing the same problem as me.

godashram
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpivk View Post
Just delete the file I've listed and it will work if you're experiencing the same problem as me.
that did it!!!
Thanks

dariovw
Old
Thanks Meter 1
this happen to me too .factory reset for me .....hope never happen in future

usb2007
Old
Thanks Meter 12
my wifi stopped working after i updated to 3.1 but all i did was settings -- wireless and networks and removed my wireless settings and added again as new..and everything started working
Work: Samsung Galaxy S 4
Play: Apple iPod 5G
Backup: Samsung Galaxy S III
Couch : Acer Iconia Tab A500

3c
Old
Thanks Meter 953

DONATE TO ME
Default permission issues on dhcp file...

Most probably the root cause is a permission issues on that particular file after upgrade... Should not happen anymore in the future.
If I helped you, remember to press the Thanks button!

[ Web ] 3c

bpivk
Old
(Last edited by bpivk; 25th June 2011 at 10:26 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccounotte View Post
Most probably the root cause is a permission issues on that particular file after upgrade... Should not happen anymore in the future.
I don't think that's the case. It happened to me again after I've installed Acer phone disabler. Again deleting the file worked but I was able to recreate it whenever I had an unclean shutdown of the tablet.

Permissions were ok. I've checked. Besides that wouldn't explain wifi working normally after update and then not working the next hour (I didn't even touch the tablet in the meantime).