Tutorial: How to upgrade Huawei Ascend from Android 2.1 OS to 2.3

OP AndroJordan

24th June 2011, 11:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Irving
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
Tutorial:
How to get Android 2.3 Operating System(OS) on your Huawei Ascend (For Newbies)

Android 2.3
Z4Root
Google Apps
Metro Backup

Ok, to start things off, You need to move all of the files that you downloaded to your phone’s SD Card, you will also need a Application Installer, You can download one from the android marketplace for free, there’s tons of them. “AppInstaller” is the one that I personally use.

1)First you must root the phone by installing the Z4Root file. Open your application installer and find Z4Root where ever you placed it onto your SD Card, install the Z4Root. The phone will restart on its own. The phone is now rooted.

2)Next you need to download clockwork recovery from the android marketplace. There is a Free version and a Paid version. The free version works just fine . After downloading the app, open it and under the 2nd tab of the app choose the reboot into recovery option.

3)The phone will restart itself and a black screen with blue/green text will appear, it is recommended to create a backup before installing anything new. Next, Choose the “wipe data/factory reset” option and click yes. Then choose the “wipe cache partition” option and click yes again. Lastly, click the “advanced” option then scroll down to “wipe Dalvik Cache” and choose yes again.

4)Once you have wiped the three files, choose the “Install From Zip” option, then the “choose Zip from SD Card” option. (You should have the Android 2.3, gapps and Metro backup Files on your zip already, If not, put the two files onto your SD card then repeat the last step). Then scroll down to the “Cm7-Ascend-05142011” option, the new operating system will now be installed onto your phone.

5)After that, choose the “MetrOFF.v1.1-MMS-[GB]-[CM_AOSP]” option. This fixes a bug that caused users to not send multimedia messages properly.

6)Now choose the “gapps-gb-20110307-signed-1.zip”, this installs all of the google apps onto your phone

6)After installing the Gapps file, choose the “reboot system now” option. Your phone now has Android 2.3 Operating system!

7) Yay!
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroJordan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2011, 01:41 PM   |  #2  
Flag colorado
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Donate to Me
More
clockwork recovery is not in market is there another program or someplace else to find it
2nd September 2011, 02:42 PM   |  #3  
Flag Harrisville
Thanks Meter: 10

237 posts
Donate to Me
More
It's called ROM Manager.

Sent from my Droid using XDA Premium App
23rd October 2011, 02:50 PM   |  #4  

1 posts
Question
would i still be able to send mms (text messages), and recieve service?
29th October 2011, 08:09 AM   |  #5  
Flag Evans, Colorado

2 posts
More
Question Need for Cricket
Do you or any one have the links to the same as above but for a Cricket Huawei Ascend?
Thanks for any help you can give.
7th November 2011, 02:51 AM   |  #6  

3 posts
Hello
If I got OS 2.2 already on my huawei, have I go through the same steps as update from 2.1 ?
There is no Z4Root file on android market.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Do I need to install superuser? Can you tell me for what is it for?
After update to 2.3 OS there is no problem with taking pictures(camera) and mms?
Is there any way to come back to 2.2 OS if I won't like 2.3 ?
16th November 2011, 05:13 AM   |  #7  

1 posts
what would the benefit be of going from 2.2 up to 2.3 since the major benefits hit at the 2.2 mark in my opinion any ways
24th November 2011, 09:36 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 60

186 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickfitt

clockwork recovery is not in market is there another program or someplace else to find it

Handy Ascend Download Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteisme

would i still be able to send mms (text messages), and recieve service?

Yes, if you're on Cricket. If you're on Metro, you need to flash the metroff mms fix zip with CWM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qeutua

Do you or any one have the links to the same as above but for a Cricket Huawei Ascend?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Handy Ascend Download Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsimon

If I got OS 2.2 already on my huawei, have I go through the same steps as update from 2.1 ?
There is no Z4Root file on android market.

The same, but use Gingerbreak to root instead.

Quote:

Do I need to install superuser? Can you tell me for what is it for?

Superuser keeps track of and grants permissions to apps to root access. When you use Z4Root or Gingerbreak, it is installed automatically. And yes, you need it.

Quote:

After update to 2.3 OS there is no problem with taking pictures(camera) and mms?

The only problems are that with Metro you need the metroff fix flashed, and you can't use the camera with apps. For instance, you can't use a barcode or QR code scanner. If you need a QR scanner, you have to take a pic of the QR code first with just your camera, then open something like QR Droid, and read the code from the pic you took.

Quote:

Is there any way to come back to 2.2 OS if I won't like 2.3 ?

Sure. Just look at this thread. You'll have to flash back to 2.1, then get the OTA update to 2.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfdissux

what would the benefit be of going from 2.2 up to 2.3 since the major benefits hit at the 2.2 mark in my opinion any ways

PlayfulGod has really maximized what the Ascend is capable of. I haven't heard anyone saying that his CM7 ROMs aren't faster and better. His latest overclock to 710 and 748, depending on if you have a lazy Ascend or not, and have a2sd integrated into the ROM. It's faster, beefier, and just plain better. IMO anyway.
Last edited by Scur827; 24th November 2011 at 10:41 PM.
24th November 2011, 10:37 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 60

186 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroJordan

Tutorial:
How to get Android 2.3 Operating System(OS) on your Huawei Ascend (For Newbies)

Android 2.3
Z4Root
Google Apps
Metro Backup

Ok, to start things off, You need to move all of the files that you downloaded to your phone’s SD Card, you will also need a Application Installer, You can download one from the android marketplace for free, there’s tons of them. “AppInstaller” is the one that I personally use.

1)First you must root the phone by installing the Z4Root file. Open your application installer and find Z4Root where ever you placed it onto your SD Card, install the Z4Root. The phone will restart on its own. The phone is now rooted.

2)Next you need to download clockwork recovery from the android marketplace. There is a Free version and a Paid version. The free version works just fine . After downloading the app, open it and under the 2nd tab of the app choose the reboot into recovery option.

3)The phone will restart itself and a black screen with blue/green text will appear, it is recommended to create a backup before installing anything new. Next, Choose the “wipe data/factory reset” option and click yes. Then choose the “wipe cache partition” option and click yes again. Lastly, click the “advanced” option then scroll down to “wipe Dalvik Cache” and choose yes again.

4)Once you have wiped the three files, choose the “Install From Zip” option, then the “choose Zip from SD Card” option. (You should have the Android 2.3, gapps and Metro backup Files on your zip already, If not, put the two files onto your SD card then repeat the last step). Then scroll down to the “Cm7-Ascend-05142011” option, the new operating system will now be installed onto your phone.

5)After that, choose the “MetrOFF.v1.1-MMS-[GB]-[CM_AOSP]” option. This fixes a bug that caused users to not send multimedia messages properly.

6)Now choose the “gapps-gb-20110307-signed-1.zip”, this installs all of the google apps onto your phone

6)After installing the Gapps file, choose the “reboot system now” option. Your phone now has Android 2.3 Operating system!

7) Yay!

Update this method by using the latest CM7 and gapps 20110613 found in Prepaid Android Wiki. Just know that if you try to flash the ROM with the 748 OC kernel, and your phone won't boot after a couple attempts, you probably have a lazy Ascend and need to flash the ROM with the 710 OC kernel.
If you're on 2.2, it will still work, except root with Gingerbreak instead of Z4Root.
Last edited by Scur827; 28th November 2011 at 10:14 AM.
28th November 2011, 08:07 AM   |  #10  

7 posts
i did all the steps but when i go to install from zip thru the recovery screen it says its unpacking then failed and gets aborted.. Any help?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
2.1, 2.3, ascend, huawei
Previous Thread Next Thread