Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,773 Members 51,682 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

Tip us?

mozambik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Exclamation [Q] E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

Hello,

after update to stock I9000XXJVP from samfirmare with MD5 check (Odin 1.7, 3 files rom, pit 512, with Re-Partition, auto reboot and bootloader update) all was fine until I reboot the phone.
I got boot loops.
I again flash the phone with the same rom and same settings as above. After first reset I have:

Successfuly installed package.
Successfuly copied media files.

E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
Data wipe failed.

Successfuly applied multi-SCS.

Then I choose wipe data/factory reset from Android system recovery (3e) and got the same error:

then I choose wipe cache partition and hit reboot system now.

And again boot loop...

Please help, I'm searching for sollution from two days.. I tried to flash others roms but with same result...

panjaby
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Try flashing back to froyo or even ezy base froyo (preffered), then flash ginger rom with bootloaders, flash speedmod kernel (latest) convert everything to ext4 and do a factory wipe in cwm recovery, then custom rom. Works for me everytime.
Goodluck

Sent from my GT-P7100 using Tapatalk
Omnia i900 >Galaxy S >Galaxy Tab 10.1V >Galaxy S2 >Htc Sensation >Galaxy S3 >Nexus 7>Galaxy Note II
>SGS4>Note3+Gear>Note8>Nexus 7 v2>??? $$$

profalbert
Old
Thanks Meter 6
You can always reflash with .pit and repartition, to fix such partition issues.
Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 @ CM9 NIGHTLY
The Following User Says Thank You to profalbert For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mozambik
Old
(Last edited by mozambik; 26th June 2011 at 05:12 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by panjaby View Post
Try flashing back to froyo or even ezy base froyo (preffered), then flash ginger rom with bootloaders, flash speedmod kernel (latest) convert everything to ext4 and do a factory wipe in cwm recovery, then custom rom. Works for me everytime.
I flashed with Odin with 512pit, re-parttion and bootloader update: 2.1 Eclair JM1, 2.2.1 Froyo JPU, 2.3.3 Ficeto_Deodexed_JVH_I9000_ODIN, and stock 2.3.4 JPU.. none of this work, every time boot-loop
I tried speedmod kernel and turn off all lagfix'es. Now all is in RFS.

Why I should convert everything back to ext4 ??

I think my problem is with internal SD-Card.. Flashing ROMs and KERNELs do not touch internal SD-Card.

From recovery I can't format internal SD-Card (memory):
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (No such file or directory)
E:copy_dbdata_media:Can't mount SDCARD
your storage not prepared yet. please use UI menu for format and reboot actions.

Zeleare
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same problem, Anyone can help?

eggshaped
Old
Thanks Meter 87
I had this problem the first time I tried to install a new rom after rooting my phone. There's a thread somewhere with a solution (in the Dev section I think, if I remember rightly) which I followed and it worked a treat.

Just install firmware PDA-I900XXJP1 and pit file 512 with odin. Tick Re-partition. I'm not sure if any other stock firmware works but this is the one advised in the thread and it's the one I used, successfully.

This will get you back to an older version of stock Froyo. From there you can root again and flash an updated rom.

Sorry, it won't let me upload the files for some reason but they can easily be found in the stock rom thread.

Hope this helps.

fleischbanane
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggshaped View Post
I had this problem the first time I tried to install a new rom after rooting my phone. There's a thread somewhere with a solution (in the Dev section I think, if I remember rightly) which I followed and it worked a treat.

Just install firmware PDA-I900XXJP1 and pit file 512 with odin. Tick Re-partition. I'm not sure if any other stock firmware works but this is the one advised in the thread and it's the one I used, successfully.

This will get you back to an older version of stock Froyo. From there you can root again and flash an updated rom.

Sorry, it won't let me upload the files for some reason but they can easily be found in the stock rom thread.

Hope this helps.
It killed my download-mode!
Phone: Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
ROM: CM11 Nightly | Kernel: Stock CM | Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.1

Phone: Galaxy Nexus (Maguro)
ROM: PA 4.42 | Kernel: Stock PA | Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0

ruelle
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozambik View Post
Hello,

after update to stock I9000XXJVP from samfirmare with MD5 check (Odin 1.7, 3 files rom, pit 512, with Re-Partition, auto reboot and bootloader update) all was fine until I reboot the phone.
I got boot loops.
I again flash the phone with the same rom and same settings as above. After first reset I have:

Successfuly installed package.
Successfuly copied media files.

Data wipe failed.

Successfuly applied multi-SCS.

Then I choose wipe data/factory reset from Android system recovery (3e) and got the same error:

then I choose wipe cache partition and hit reboot system now.

And again boot loop...

Please help, I'm searching for sollution from two days.. I tried to flash others roms but with same result...

Ihave the same problem,
how did you solve???

thank you

Scorp182
Old
Thanks Meter 8
i know this message "E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2" from another forum only in the context of a damaged internal sd.

JunaidZaka
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Flashing stock rom with re partition ticked fixes this problem for me every single time dont know why it isnt working for you guys :/
Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA

Tags
mmcblk0p2