Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Why doesn't Samsung want to help us proceed development?

27th June 2011, 12:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Venice, California
Thanks Meter: 222

1,891 posts
More
<Rant>

Serious question on serious time. Why the hell doesn't samsung wanna help us port CM7 to our epic's or anything for that matter? they give a CM7 team dev a SGSII but wont let us port CM7? our freakin epic's are gonna be end of the line not to long from now. it's been what 2years+ for this phone?

</rant>

by all means whats going on?!?! where like the ONLY phone who doesn't have these things. (MIUI,CM7, True AOSP, Ext...)
27th June 2011, 12:45 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 16

230 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoulon

<Rant>

Serious question on serious time. Why the hell doesn't samsung wanna help us port CM7 to our epic's or anything for that matter? they give a CM7 team dev a SGSII but wont let us port CM7? our freakin epic's are gonna be end of the line not to long from now. it's been what 2years+ for this phone?

</rant>

by all means whats going on?!?! where like the ONLY phone who doesn't have these things. (MIUI,CM7, True AOSP, Ext...)

Don't know ..but there trying to do so with the galaxy s2..perhaps they don't care
27th June 2011, 01:02 AM   |  #3  
Flag Hanover, Pa
Thanks Meter: 321

2,338 posts
More
Quote:

<Rant>

</rant>

Actually, September will be 1 year for this phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattallica76 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th June 2011, 01:47 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 284

1,005 posts
More
Quote:

<Rant>

</rant>

Perhaps official GB will help answer this question. Most Dev's have pointed out they're awaiting source to continue Development on these ROM's and/or ports. If we dnt move forward in development once official GB drops, along with source, then that's when we should really panic IMO. I feel you tho, our phones are top of the line but with such things lacking, it really makes it frustrating for us to believe as such.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
27th June 2011, 01:51 AM   |  #5  
philly
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Unhappy
yeah i keep thinking it's been longer too... then i call sprint to ask about my upgrade and I am brutally reminded...
27th June 2011, 01:57 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 497

2,470 posts
Quote:

<Rant>

</rant>

Why WOULD Samsung want to help us extend the lives of our phones? Can you answer that? They want to make money. They have probably the nicest Android phone for at least the next 6 months hitting market this summer and all indications are that it will supported fully by developers. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot and give 10 million Galaxy S owners a reason NOT to upgrade to their latest and greatest superphone?
The Following User Says Thank You to muyoso For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th June 2011, 02:14 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 255

1,531 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso

Why WOULD Samsung want to help us extend the lives of our phones? Can you answer that? They want to make money. They have probably the nicest Android phone for at least the next 6 months hitting market this summer and all indications are that it will supported fully by developers. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot and give 10 million Galaxy S owners a reason NOT to upgrade to their latest and greatest superphone?

seriously

27th June 2011, 03:13 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Venice, California
Thanks Meter: 222

1,891 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso

Why WOULD Samsung want to help us extend the lives of our phones? Can you answer that? They want to make money. They have probably the nicest Android phone for at least the next 6 months hitting market this summer and all indications are that it will supported fully by developers. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot and give 10 million Galaxy S owners a reason NOT to upgrade to their latest and greatest super phone?

Thank you for the obvious statement. I wish I was as smart as you.

As to your rhetorical question, by helping there BUYERS and FANS, they become far more reputable by doing so. it seems pretty obvious that they wanted CM7 ported for one reason. which we should know already.
27th June 2011, 04:09 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 78

325 posts
I think Samsung missed the chance to be more open. They draaaaaagggged their feet with froyo, completely bungling the whole ordeal, and squandered a HUGE chance with the HTC locked bootloader fiasco. If they had gotten a release out (even a semi-borked one or leaked build with source) that the community could have rallied around, it would have been much easier to take advantage of HTC dabbling in locked bootloaders. Instead they dropped the ball. Now HTC has felt the backlash and recovered. They might lose a few customers at launch on the Evo 3D but they will get them back when/if they update it to be more open.

Samsung earned a lot of respect from me by releasing the source before EB13 was actually rolled out, so that I was running a custom overclocked ROM before my friends with un-rooted Epics had froyo. But it was very very close to too little, too late, and past the point of squandered opportunity.

That said, I still think the Evo 3D is a gimmick phone, and will be taking a wait and see approach for the next 6-8 months.
27th June 2011, 04:30 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,115

2,074 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

<Rant>

</rant>

I feel you frustration my friend. I don't have the answer for you. What I do know is that apparently Samsung has learned from their mistakes with the Epic and have addressed them with the GSII devices. However, why they don't "fix" the mistakes made with the Epic is a mystery to me.

The only advice I can offer is that as frustrating as it is to have our investment not properly supported it is just a phone in the end. I have recently realized just how stressful this whole phone thing is anymore. Perhaps once CM7 is ported to the GSII it will help pave the way to get it on our Epic's. I don't know as I'm not well versed in CM7.

Sorry if this doesn't help but if you have a specific question, I will relay it to SamsungJohn when I speak with him next.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread