5,606,588 Members 35,557 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can someone support the USB GPS

Tip us?

lordstrife
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I drive with my tablet and gps all the time and it works great!
I mean how fast do you need it to be?

Vereynn
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter_nlb View Post
use BlueGPS4Droid if you dont like the internal gps function.

that has been used for ages on tablets without gps.
Hem, finally vindication for not having thrown out my Pharos USB GPS receiver with its Bluetooth cradle for my old WinMo phone

herbert1
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu2002 View Post
Does anybody run the code:
Code:
su root
stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800 && cat < /dev/ttyUSB0
I ran it and it works like gps status in windows. GPS can get the data but how to let the system to know these data.
Can do a
Code:
hexdump -c /dev/ttyUSB0
and show us what kind of data you have

I suppose standard NMEA sentences (GGA / RMC / ...). In that case we can perhaps do something...

If you could also do a
Code:
stty -a -F /dev/ttyUSB0
it would also give us more informations

liu2002
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert1 View Post
Can do a
Code:
hexdump -c /dev/ttyUSB0
and show us what kind of data you have

I suppose standard NMEA sentences (GGA / RMC / ...). In that case we can perhaps do something...

If you could also do a
Code:
stty -a -F /dev/ttyUSB0
it would also give us more informations
I am sorry that I thought my thread had been abandoned. So I didn't see your reply. Now I use galaxy 1.05 and I try to run the code you give to me. However this rom can not recogize my gps, the acer original rom (HB3.0 can). So I can not test the code. Or I should PM M-dj to add the support for the PL2303(usb to serial) and this can let the pad to find my gps.

herbert1
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Here is a quick and dirty adapted version of BlueGPS4droid in order to read NMEA data from a file/device.
Instead of giving the name of a bluetooth device you have to give the path of a file.
Don't know if it will work: since I don't have any usb Gps, I cannot test.
However it's working with plain files, so I hope it will also work with /dev/ttyUSB0.

You should be able to see on the logcat if it recognizes NMEA sentences or not.
If you can post a copy of the logcat it could be useful for me.

If it's working, I will put the code in a new repository (forked from BlueGps4Droid), clean the code, re-inject other languages and advanced functionalities we have inblueGPS4droid, etc.

How to use it :
0) plug the GPS usb device
1) allow GPS use, if possible (don't know if you can)
2) enable mock locations in "Settings/Applications/Development/Allow mock locations" (It's important !)
3) start UsbGps
4) choose a NMEA device (device path: ako /dev/ttyUSB0 - it has to be readable ! )
5) eventually activate "auto-enable location provider" in "location provider options" (useful if you cannot enable "Use GPS satellites" option (in step 1)
6) start the service using the start checkbox
7) look if something happens in the logcat...
Attached Files
File Type: apk UsbGPS4Droid_alpha3.apk - [Click for QR Code] (77.3 KB, 341 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to herbert1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nova5
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Do you have an android phone? ShareGPS from the market will turn your phone into a Bluetooth GPS device, then use the aformentioned BlueGPS4Droid to connect to the phone for its GPS. Also ensure you have enabled Mock Locations on your tablet, and set up a internet share from your phone if the tablet doesn't have it itself.

I used this on a trip recently and it works great. My Inc2 shared its GPS and Internet link with the Iconia. I really like the ability to use the Inc2's superior GPS through the tablet with its 10 inch screen. We all know the Iconia has a lower than Subpar GPS implementation.

I looked around for a way to use the LT40 from Delorme on the Iconia and couldn't find anything good.

liu2002
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert1 View Post
Here is a quick and dirty adapted version of BlueGPS4droid in order to read NMEA data from a file/device.
Instead of giving the name of a bluetooth device you have to give the path of a file.
Don't know if it will work: since I don't have any usb Gps, I cannot test.
However it's working with plain files, so I hope it will also work with /dev/ttyUSB0.

You should be able to see on the logcat if it recognizes NMEA sentences or not.
If you can post a copy of the logcat it could be useful for me.

If it's working, I will put the code in a new repository (forked from BlueGps4Droid), clean the code, re-inject other languages and advanced functionalities we have inblueGPS4droid, etc.

How to use it :
0) plug the GPS usb device
1) allow GPS use, if possible (don't know if you can)
2) enable mock locations in "Settings/Applications/Development/Allow mock locations" (It's important !)
3) start UsbGps
4) choose a NMEA device (device path: ako /dev/ttyUSB0 - it has to be readable ! )
5) eventually activate "auto-enable location provider" in "location provider options" (useful if you cannot enable "Use GPS satellites" option (in step 1)
6) start the service using the start checkbox
7) look if something happens in the logcat...
According your steps, gps running, but it seemed not get the data. No gps searching notification icon flashed and in the log data I don't see any thing. The information in my pm is not correct. I use the wrong device folder. But changed back to \dev\ttyUSB0, I can connect but no data.

josinpaul
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova5 View Post
Do you have an android phone? ShareGPS from the market will turn your phone into a Bluetooth GPS device, then use the aformentioned BlueGPS4Droid to connect to the phone for its GPS. Also ensure you have enabled Mock Locations on your tablet, and set up a internet share from your phone if the tablet doesn't have it itself.

I used this on a trip recently and it works great. My Inc2 shared its GPS and Internet link with the Iconia. I really like the ability to use the Inc2's superior GPS through the tablet with its 10 inch screen. We all know the Iconia has a lower than Subpar GPS implementation.

I looked around for a way to use the LT40 from Delorme on the Iconia and couldn't find anything good.
I beg to differ.my Ionia gets GPS connection under 7 seconds.try this it worked for me

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=17668407
Sent from my A500 using xda premium

Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition with core i7 connected to genius SP-HF1800A
Iconia a500 with thor's JB.
and my faithful, reliable and awesome LG P500

Johnny0906
Old
Thanks Meter 80

DONATE TO ME
I support it!
TOYS:
Surfpad: Asus Transformer TF700 - Coming soon!
Phone 1: HTC One X
Phone 2: Samsung Galaxy S2

HTC One X settings: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5#post27026185

Prime C3 Serial Test (Surprisingly Good Results!): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1579754

Don't give up your Primes yet!

Hit Thanks if I helped!

About me: Free-lance Software Tester, Soft Test Engineer.

herbert1
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by liu2002 View Post
According your steps, gps running, but it seemed not get the data. No gps searching notification icon flashed and in the log data I don't see any thing. The information in my pm is not correct. I use the wrong device folder. But changed back to \dev\ttyUSB0, I can connect but no data.
I don't have any usb GPS, so I cannot test anything myself! If you want something I will need a little more informations.

So here are some little things you can do to provide more details.

First you can verify if you receive something from your usb GPS:
Connect your android device to you computer and open a command shell on your android device using
Code:
adb shell
Then you can use
Code:
hexdump -c /dev/ttyUSB0
to display what the gps is sending (replace /dev/ttyUSB0 with your usb gps dev). You should see standard nmea sentences...

If you don't see valid nmea sentences you can use
Code:
stty -a -F /dev/ttyUSB0
to obtain more informations on your dev.

You can also verify read/write access rights of the device
Code:
ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
We need at least read access. If we don't then you will need to root the android device in order to be able to change the access rights on the dev.

If the hexdump command works well then you can run usbGps and use the
Code:
logcat
command to obtain more informations on what happens in the the usbGps app (it would help me a lot!).

Also if usbGps doesn't work it should display a notification (not very useful but it can help a little).

Herbert

PS: the name of the device should really be something like /dev/ttyUSB0 with "/" not "\", so if you try to use "\dev\ttyUSB0" as your device name il will not work and it's normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to herbert1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]