Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,161 Members 52,626 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Looking for a launcher with certain qualitites...

Tip us?

bluesy_92
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Looking for a launcher with certain qualitites...

So, I am working on a stripped, rooted 2.2.2 (nothing special, just a modded version of 2.2.2) and I have set the LCD density to 120. In the dell stage UI, designed specifically for 480x800 at 160dpi, it doesn't work too well.

I am looking for a launcher that will adapt the widget and application rows and columns to an appropriate number based on screen density, has a good UI (preferably Honeycomb or a 3D UI) and is well-polished, something people would use as an everyday UI. Any ideas?

stevedebi
Old
Thanks Meter 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesy_92 View Post
So, I am working on a stripped, rooted 2.2.2 (nothing special, just a modded version of 2.2.2) and I have set the LCD density to 120. In the dell stage UI, designed specifically for 480x800 at 160dpi, it doesn't work too well.

I am looking for a launcher that will adapt the widget and application rows and columns to an appropriate number based on screen density, has a good UI (preferably Honeycomb or a 3D UI) and is well-polished, something people would use as an everyday UI. Any ideas?
Try LauncherPro, there is a free version. It has the ability to change the number of rows and columns.
Phone: HTC One M8 T-Mobile, Stock ROM KitKat
Tablets: Lenovo IdeaPad A2019 9" Tablet / ICS | Dell Venue 7" Tablet / JB
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite T925u / Windows 8.1
Former Phones: Ericsson T-28, Ericsson R600 World, T-Mobile Windows Phone, HP 6310, Sony-Ericsson M600, HTC Pharos, Asus P527, HTC Tilt2, HTC HD2, HTC Amaze, HTC M7

duukaz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
You may have tried it, but I know that with LauncherPro you can choose 5 or 6 columns or rows of icons.

I'm not sure how it works when you modify the dpi.

Z4nd4r
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Zeam Launcher is my new favourite. You can set your rows/columns, as well. Smooth and quick, and I rarely get redraws (when I do, they render very quickly).

bluesy_92
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
I've been hearing good stuff about those launchers, especially LaucnherPro. I'll look into them :)

elodahl
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default VTL Launcher

I use VTL on my tablets. You can select the numbers of rows and columns to make widgets and icons fit to you liking.

The other beauty is that you can have up to 3 dock bars (left, right and bottom). You can vary the size, thickness, of these dock bars as well. This can be used to fine tune the spacing of widgets/icons.

You can also lock the desktop so once you have it the way you want it so nothing get dragged out of place.

No free version, but it's cheap. It's worth a look.