No registration required

Quadrant with ext4 partitions

OP AntonX

29th June 2011, 11:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,037

428 posts
Donate to Me
Those of you who followed this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1141550, and went all the way backwards to RFS from ext4, you probably made a mistake. ext4 is objectively a better file system, it just may be configured to run somehow slower, although more secure. This security is needed when the drive can be disconnected on the fly or may suddenly lose power, which is obviously not applicable to our phones as the card is inside and nobody normally removes it with the phone on.

Anyway, I looked how Voodoo mounts the ext4 partitions and found couple of things that can be improved. First of all, "noatime" option should be set to all partition wherever possible. This option tells not to ever update last access time upon every read operation. It is actually being set like this with one of the init.d tweaks already. The other option has way bigger effect. It controls delayed allocations, the allocation mechanism that is one of the biggest improvement of ext4 over ext3. For some reason Voodoo sets it to "nodelalloc" for \data partition. As soon as I changed it to "delalloc", my Quadrant score shot from about 1700 to over 2300.

Here is how to fix it, IF YOU ARE STILL ON EXT4 FOR ALL 3 PARTITIONS. If you moved back to RFS this will have no effect.

If you don't use init.d, then you have to start using it You'll have to either modify one of the existing init.d scripts, or write you own like this:

--
#!system/bin/sh

for k in $(busybox mount | grep -E 'relatime|nodelalloc' | cut -d " " -f3) ; do
sync
busybox mount -o remount,noatime,delalloc $k
done
--

Those who already use init.d tweaks should modify the S98edt_tweaks file. Open it with an editor and change the "for" loop in the beginning (the one that deals with remounting partitions) to my code. Save, reboot, and try Quadrant now.

I also recommend removing the "fix" that extends SD read-ahead cache. Comment out the related code, you can easily find it in this file. This cache can bring more troubles than benefits, but well, it's up to you.

Btw you may as well remove code in 20sombionixInit file that deals with the same "noatime", the part that does "for k in $PART;..., done;", it's just redundant.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AntonX For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2011, 12:15 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cali
Thanks Meter: 5,276

4,281 posts
Donate to Me
More
If you really wana back up your claim id suggest posing benchmarks. U can also ask dr Honk as hes the one that deved the kernel with voodoo lag fix and ext 4 and as i previously stated most the tweaks are directly from darkey and Teamwhiskey. Granted some can be changed like sd cache it can be commented out smaller and or larger i never said it was the end all be all of use this or else by all means experment. But no offense your just trying to say ext 4 is better not saying it is and isnt but its been stated before and beaten tod death its per case basis not everywhere is it better and in some places it is.
30th June 2011, 01:10 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

428 posts
Donate to Me
Here is my score now. Running stock KD1 with Bali 3.1, OC-ed to 1.2 MHz. All partitions are ext4, here is how they mounted:

--
rootfs on / type rootfs (ro,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/block/stl9 on /system type ext4 (rw,noatime,barrier=0,data=writeback,noauto_da_all oc)
/dev/block/stl11 on /cache type ext4 (rw,noatime,barrier=0,data=writeback,noauto_da_all oc)
/dev/block/stl10 on /data type ext4 (rw,noatime,barrier=0,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc )

tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
none on /acct type cgroup (rw,relatime,cpuacct)
/dev/block/stl6 on /mnt/.lfs type j4fs (rw,noatime)
tmpfs on /mnt/asec type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000)
none on /dev/cpuctl type cgroup (rw,relatime,cpu)
/dev/block/stl3 on /efs type rfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8)
/dev/block/vold/179:2 on /data/sdext2 type ext4 (rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/block/vold/179:1 on /mnt/sdcard type vfat (rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime ,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_uti me=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
--

Btw this is actually another proof that Quadrant don't mean much and nobody should pay much attention to them. The score just should not have jumped that much because of a single change to file writing option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20110629_185634.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	641257  
30th June 2011, 01:16 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 2,271

2,478 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hahahahahaahahahshahshagshs

sent from my sgs4g 2.3.3, finally
30th June 2011, 01:22 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cali

4,281 posts
Donate to Me
More
Let me ask you who are you? Just curious

Sent from my SGH-i9100 using XDA Premium App
Last edited by RaverX3X; 30th June 2011 at 01:26 AM.
30th June 2011, 01:33 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cali

4,281 posts
Donate to Me
More
here mines still bigger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_10.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	641290  
30th June 2011, 01:37 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

428 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaverX3X

Let me ask you who are you?

Sent from my SGH-I9000 using XDA Premium App

Is this question for me or for dsexton702? If for me, I'm a software engineer, actually have been for over 20 years, but we are in medical devices field. I started working with computers long time ago in PDP-11 era as a tech then OS engineer, so I pretty much know (or maybe feel ) how this things work inside.
juan16h
30th June 2011, 01:39 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaverX3X

here mines still bigger

how did you get that?
30th June 2011, 01:40 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cali

4,281 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonX

Is this question for me or for dsexton702? If for me, I'm a software engineer, actually have been for over 20 years, but we are in medical devices field. I started working with computers long time ago in PDP-11 era as a tech then OS engineer, so I pretty much know (or maybe feel ) how this things work inside.

It was for you i know who dsexton is .
30th June 2011, 01:42 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cali

4,281 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan16h

how did you get that?

2.0 ghz oc cooled it long enough to be stable and take a pic and then reverted the changes phone gets really hot fast :P

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread