5,605,373 Members 41,337 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Mango Tips & Tricks

Tip us?

Talys
Old
(Last edited by Talys; 5th July 2011 at 06:56 PM.) Reason: Added more tips from the thread!
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Mango Tips & Tricks

Well, Mango Beta is here, meaning there are lots of new cool features. Some of them are either buried or not obvious. Here are some that I've found so far:

UPDATE: Thank you for everyone's participation. I have added several tips based on comments in the discussion

Custom Ringtones

1. Copy MP3 or WMA to Zune Collection. Choose Edit, and type in manually under Genre "Ringtone". The song must be less than 40 seconds and smaller than 1MB.

2. Go to Settings -> Ringtones + Sounds, tap Ringtone. Your custom ringtone will appear under a new tree called "Custom", above "Windows Phone"

Note that it is identified by the filename, rather than the track title.

Also, you can tap and HOLD a ringtone, and Delete will be offered (but only on the Custom ones; preloaded ones grey out delete).

Windows Live Messenger

Windows Live Messenger is so damned easy that I didn't see it staring at me. Pick Messaging, slide right to Online. Set Chat Status (icon at bottom), hit +, and send a message to any Messenger contact. And/or if anyone sends you an MSN, you get a ding just like a SMS, and it appears under Messaging.

Mango automatically made my Windows Live account that my phone is registered under, which is also my Messenger account, work. Others have noted that it's not possible to have a second Messenger account -- only your PRIMARY Windows Live account is linked to Messenger.

Facebook chat is set up also from Messaging -> Online. Some people have had trouble with this... read down to see some possible solutions.

Dev Unlock Mango B2

You must have a dev unlocked phone to install Mango, but installing Mango relocks your phone. To unlock it again, run Windows Phone Developer Registration from the Beta 2 SDK tools.

Voice Activated SMS/Messaging

To allow Voice recognition from Messaging (like SMS, Messenger) while on Carrier Data, go to Settings -> Speech and check Enable Speech Recognition over Network.

This is REALLY cool. Put on a headset; leave your phone on the home screen. When someone sends you a Messenger, it announces that the person has sent you a message, Read It or Ignore. If you say, "Read it", the phone reads the message. You then have an opportunity to reply via speech!

Visual Voicemail

Evidently, this is in Settings -> Phone (or Phone app, slide up, call settings). But it doesn't show up for everyone -- it's carrier dependent (doesn't show up for Telus phone on Fido for me).

Exchange/Gmail Server Search

To search the server for older (for example, Exchange) go to Outlook, click the on-screen search button, make a search. At the bottom of the results, tap "search more in Outlook". When the server search is done, at the bottom of the results, you'll see "get more results" and "search all folders". Woohoo!

Bing Visual Search -- and OCR!

Tap Bing key. Click eyeball. You can snap QR codes, Microsoft codes, or TEXT. If you snap text, it will then detect it, and you can translate it (for example, from French to English). But as someone mentioned, you can translate from English to English... and the results come as text that you can then Copy and Paste! Quick and easy cloud OCR that you have to see to believe.

Skydrive, Office

Just, Wow!

Go to Office. Slide over to Locations and SkyDrive. You can see any of the documents on your SkyDrive, and edit things like Word. It's perfect.

Notes (OneNote, synchronized with SkyDrive and your Desktop OneNote as long as you're saving to Web) is really slick. Office 365 and SharePoint are under Locations.

Easy Ones

Music Controls - This one's easy. Play a song, pause it. Hit lock key. Controls are on the wallpaper. Unlock, hit volume keys -- Controls appear.

Multitasking - Hold down Back button. It's a beautiful implementation. To remove a task from the list, pick it, then hit back button once.

Outlook Threads - Just tap a conversation thread to expand it.

Outlook Account Linking - Outlook -> ... -> Link Inboxes

App Grouping - tap the letters above the groups of apps, just like the phone book (tapping "a" gets you all the letters, tapping "s" jumps to Settings)

App Find - tap magnifying glass on apps list

IE9 -- OMG. Best Mobile Browser Ever. 'nuff said. But is it possible to turn off Address Bar in Landscape? Takes up lots of space.

People/Groups - Tap People hub, tap Family or +. You can make your own Groups, and then SMS or email everyone in the group that has SMS or email. Or quickly call them, since they get big tiles.

People/History - Tap a contact in the People hub, slide to the right, and see History. It shows call/messaging history, and "search Outlook" at the bottom.

Really Nice Subtle features

- Improved buttons during a voice call (larger, blockier, and harder to mispress)
- People Tile is really pretty now
- XBox Live Hub, Avatar, Messages -- way, way nicer. Best game hub ever.
- Marketplace is much better organized; Games are split up into categories.
- Power Down (hold lock button) now "confirms" with a prompt to slide down
- Hardware Search button now always brings up Bing; on-screen search button for context-sensitive.
- Dithering on browser eliminates banding in most cases

Doesn't Work Anymore

The following appear to be broken in Mango:

- Homebrew - Chevron Ringtone Installer (but it's bult in now)
- Homebrew - Home Screen Bluetooth/Wifi/Data button (I already miss this one!)
- LG App Store doesn't seem to open anymore (error appears -- but this seems to work for at least some other people)
- Maps Directions gives an Error
- Maps - Some people don't get Traffic, others do. For the time being I am using gMaps. Free version works!
- Not really sure how to go back and forward on the browser, other than "recent" (which doesn't give you cached version).

UPDATE:
======
To make Traffic work, just set region/location to English (United States). I had it set to English (Canada). Directions from "My Location" then works as well! (note that I am physically in Canada).

LG App store still does not work for me. It comes up with Error code:805a0194 (Optimus 7 / Telus)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Talys For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

princetrey07
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Is your Facebook chat working?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

1jaxstate1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Facebook chat isn't working for me. In the messaging option for facebook chat, I hit ON, it then says Facebook is set up on my phone, but more steps are needed for chat to work, it then going to a web page that is a dead link.
Moto MPX220 -> Samsung Blackjack -> HTC 8525 ->Samsung BLackjack 2 -> iPhone 3G -> BlackBerry Bold -> iPhone 3G again -> BlackBerry Pearl (yikes) -> HTC Touch Pro 2

Talys
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by princetrey07 View Post
Is your Facebook chat working?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
Nope, I didn't try very hard, but it looks like other people on various threads can't get it working either.

dtboos
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talys View Post
Missing

- What happened to traffic, in Maps?

- Is it possible to search server folders in Outlook?
Traffic will be back in with the final release/build (if not sooner?)

Full exchange folder search should be possible, as full search of folders for online email. Your outlook wont be searchable unless you sync it to hotmail via connector or use exchange.

I haven't gotten my email yet for download, but this is whats supposed to be in the [final] build. Hope not too many things haven't been implemented, but looking forward to messing around with it.

Talys
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtboos View Post
Traffic will be back in with the final release/build (if not sooner?)

Full exchange folder search should be possible, as full search of folders for online email. Your outlook wont be searchable unless you sync it to hotmail via connector or use exchange.

I haven't gotten my email yet for download, but this is whats supposed to be in the [final] build. Hope not too many things haven't been implemented, but looking forward to messing around with it.
It looks great to me. Most features appear fully implmented or "implemented but not quite working" (like FB chat).

I use Exchange. Can't seem to find unsynced emails using the server (eg server search for a year old email or unsync'ed folder). This is a super useful feature on the BlackBerry.

Traffic back would be nice, as I cancelled my XM Nav on my car, since Maps Traffic worked so well

I will have to see how well Network Voice Recognition works when on 3G. Previously, using the LG Voice to Text App, performance on LAN was awesome but performance on anything short of a great 3G connection was awful (the wait was so long that I could park the car and type the message 5 times over).

prjkthack
Old
Thanks Meter 125
You guys aren't seeing traffic in maps? I see it and it works just fine.

Don't forget you can also turn on Visual Voicemail in phone settings. Then you can get to your voice through the Phone tile, and by swiping over to voicemail.

Also, Messenger only signs in using your primary live account. You cannot add a second Live ID and have it sign it to messenger.
prjkthack
Nokia Lumia 1020, Nokia Lumia 928, iPhone 5s
Microsoft Surface Pro 128GB
Retired: Helio Ocean, HTC Touch Pro, HTC HD2, HTC EVO 4G, HTC HD7, HTC Touch Pro2, HTC HD7S, HTC One X, HP Veer 4G, HTC TITAN, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC One, Nokia Lumia 800, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 920, HTC Droid DNA

Windows Phone Expert / Development

f0lken
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Facebook Chat works without problems for me

And the Facebook App gets updated with live tile and push notifications, is like christmas for WP7!!!!!!

http://www.wpcentral.com/facebook-wi...-notifications

weatherx
Old
Thanks Meter 3
i'll be the first to ask...is there now a separate ringer volume? in other words is media and ringer volume separate?

RoboDad
Old
Thanks Meter 87
I think asking questions is a great idea, but everyone should probably keep one important thing in mind. This is not even CLOSE to the final build, so just because a feature isn't "in there" today doesn't mean it isn't already in the plan for the release version.

With that said, here's my question. Does the task switcher offer any way to close a running task? I can't believe that such an obvious, basic, and NECESSARY feature isn't in there. And only the five most recent tasks? To quote Microsoft's own ad campaign, "Really?"